• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Spin Forum Dumping Bin

1 hour ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

Understandable, but the fact is that when it comes down to it, if you or a colleague were invaded in your full classroom by a deranged person you could either stand there and get shot or defend yourself and your students that you obviously care for. Which is the preferable option?

my preferred option would be to not have to take a life.

• Replies 22.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jason

• Taylor

• St1ck

• Amazing Larry

1 hour ago, Lhalo said:

A Gay Alcoholics Anonymous for Youth meeting. You might know the org by it's acronym GAAY.

i hope when you saw True Grich you were able to play it off like you didn't know each other.

4 hours ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

Disagree. I would support anyone in a position of authority at a school arming themselves if they have the desire and mental capacity to acquire the proper training. And since teachers are by definition supposed to be intelligent, that shouldn't be too big of an ask.

It's not the actual teacher being armed I have an issue with. It's just another addition to their job that will distract them from teaching. God knows our public schools are pumping out dumb kids as it is.  Being armed in a school full of people (especially kids) is going to require a lot of special training. It's not as simple as point and shoot the gun. On top of learning marksmanship, the need to learn use of force applications and threat assessment. Not every threat requires deadly force. All LE organizations have a continuum of force. It's too much to put on a teacher's shoulders. There are plenty of retired, well trained individuals that would love to do that job. That's the route I think they should go.

3 minutes ago, Jason said:

It's not the actual teacher being armed I have an issue with. It's just another addition to their job that will distract them from teaching. God knows our public schools are pumping out dumb kids as it is.  Being armed in a school full of people (especially kids) is going to require a lot of special training. It's not as simple as point and shoot the gun. On top of learning marksmanship, the need to learn use of force applications and threat assessment. Not every threat requires deadly force. All LE organizations have a continuum of force. It's too much to put on a teacher's shoulders. There are plenty of retired, well trained individuals that would love to do that job. That's the route I think they should go.

That's definitely a well reasoned stance. My problem is i'm just picturing the parkland asshole that hid and cowered while students were getting shot.

46 minutes ago, Tank said:

my preferred option would be to not have to take a life.

I think we can all say that. I have a permit and carry a gun everywhere I'm legally allowed to but I hope I never need it. However,  I have no problem taking someone else's life if they are trying to take my family's or mine. 

Just now, Make Angels Great Again said:

That's definitely a well reasoned stance. My problem is i'm just picturing the parkland asshole that hid and cowered while students were getting shot.

You and Tank have both raised good points. It's not an easy solution

1 hour ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

Things might have gone differently at Sandy Hook if one of the classrooms had a trained, armed teacher. Some of those children might have survived.

or an armed security guard.

there's an argument to be made for letting high school teachers get certified and allowed to carry. i think it's fair to say that an overwhelming majority of the school shootings have happened at high schools and scarce few at elementary schools, with middle schools somewhere in between (whatever the stats may be for this). i can't think of a single elementary teacher, especially those in K-4, who would be willing or able to fire away at an intruder, regardless of who it was. In that moment, they're going to so focused on keeping their kids calm and safe, and I think it's fair to say they'd go into mother hen mode to shield those kids at all costs. I can't picture anyone that I know or have met who could turn that around into attack mode and fire back. By their nature, these level teachers are nurterers in the most extreme sense of the word. It's not something they could suddenly shut off.

For grades K-6 (and maybe 7 and 8), the best option is to hire security to handle it.

9 hours ago, Tank said:

disagree completely.

my life is spent guiding these kids and going through all of their 'stuff' with them as they try to figure out life. to suddenly turn that off and be willing to put three in the chest of an intruder (who VERY likely is a former student) is asking me to turn off my compassion and history with that kid.

i don't want to be in that position, and i don't know any colleagues who would, either.

if it's that big a concern, hire security people for this kind of work.

Politicians (and MAGA) understand the mindset of teachers more than you do, Tank.

https://pjmedia.com/trending/what-could-have-caused-this-cnn-to-cut-as-many-as-300-staffers/

What Could Have Caused This? CNN to Cut as Many as 300 Staffers

The cuts come on the heels of devastating April ratings for CNN, with the lowest number of total viewers in five years. The network's prime-time lineup plummeted 26 percent in April compared to the same month last year. CNN's total audience in prime time was a pathetic 767,000. Compare that to Fox News, with 2.395 million viewers and third-place MSNBC with 1.660 million. CNN's Cuomo Primetime was one of the hardest hit, with a mere 971,000 viewers in April -- the worst month in the show's history. Sean Hannity, Cuomo's Fox counterpart in the 9 p.m. slot, dominated the ratings with a total audience of 3.086 million. Fox's Tucker Carlson Tonight came in second, with 2.834 million viewers and MSNBC's The Rachel Maddow Show was third with 2.630 million viewers.