• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Taliban stepping up its game

Obviously we arent. But as of now, we have a business (oil, trade in the gulf) and strategic (iran, and again the gulf) partnership with the saudis. They buy arms from the west not so much to attack their neighbors, but more to stay in power. If say we pulled support and let them fall, would that be better? Im not saying it would or wouldnt be. Just for debate, as bad as this relationship is, is it better than the alternative?

Iraq, Syria, Libya, Egypt, Afghanastan.  You get rid of the head, and the body has no idea what to do, and acts like a chicken.  To think, just a decade ago, you could go to Egypt, and the worst that could have happened is you got your pocket picked.  Really the same could be said about Syria.  Now, I don't even think that those countries will be part of your itinerary for foreign travel.  Heck, I wouldn't even go to Turkey.  And they are ripe to be the next to fall. 

We may not like Erdogan but Turkey is one of the most secular Islamic countries in the world and one of the few great powers in NATO. They are an absolutely essential member of the alliance. They've been good allies largely.

As far the Saudis go, the collapse of the monarchy would be disaster in the short term. That is a fact. However, it can be argued that they are a significant piece of the radicalization problem. These oligarchies are huge drivers of radicalization. It is true that the royals are empowered by Wahhabis but they also also despised by far more violent fundamentalists (such as Isis) when we talk about Wahhabis it's a pretty wide spectrum of people and behaviors. It's definitely not a homogenous idea or group. We haven't even started talking about terribly suppressed progressives that also hate the monarchy.

Anywhere in the Middle East has potential for problems, but the UAE is pretty safe. Egypt from what I understand is fairly safe in Cairo/Alexandria, but quite dangerous in the Sinai and the western desert. Turkey, is also probably about as safe as any other European area. Excluding the Syrian border areas. They've had several attacks recently, but so has mainland Western Europe.

Edited by UndertheHalo

The 2 holy mosques make Saudi Arabia a special case here. Any instability here would certainly get Iran heavily involved and turn it into a WWIII flashpoint. What that video showed does happen but it's not the norm. The norm here is people trying to live their lives just like everybody else. Those poor areas are mostly non-Saudis and although the matawa (religious police) are still a force they are getting steadily weaker. The Wahabbi influence is dwindling but it has to happen at its own pace. Too much outside pressure will cause a backlash and empower them even more.

Speaking of Sunnis...

Watched the first half of this at the gym this morning. Gnar, man.

A buddy of mine is an engineer for Boeing. He works on Saudi, UAE and Swedeish stuff and goes to these places all the time. He's most uncomfortable in Saudi Arabia. From the airport to the car to a secured building. Everything is brought in for him. Not allowed to leave. 

• 1 month later...

These stories crack me up. Are we supposed to feel good that we droned some dude halfway across the planet? There's probably thousands of Mullah Mohammed Whateverthefucks waiting to take his place. What a waste of time and money the war on terror is. 

2 hours ago, Lawrence said:

These stories crack me up. Are we supposed to feel good that we droned some dude halfway across the planet? There's probably thousands of Mullah Mohammed Whateverthefucks waiting to take his place. What a waste of time and money the war on terror is. 

BBC News: Taliban in leadership crisis

This is the gist of many of the stories today. The West hasn't a clue about the enemy. You're right, there are thousands waiting to take his place. These people have been doing the same thing for a couple of millenia. They live to fight, to kill, to destroy, and to plunder. Let's get out of there and allow them to kill each other. If they hit us hard in an attack on our soil, then we nuke them. Simple as that.

10 hours ago, fan_since79 said:

BBC News: Taliban in leadership crisis

This is the gist of many of the stories today. The West hasn't a clue about the enemy. You're right, there are thousands waiting to take his place. These people have been doing the same thing for a couple of millenia. They live to fight, to kill, to destroy, and to plunder. Let's get out of there and allow them to kill each other. If they hit us hard in an attack on our soil, then we nuke them. Simple as that.

Nice.

17 hours ago, Angels N Skins said:

We have to have some presence over there for at least some intel gathering. I fear they would have more free time to organize and plan shit.

I'm of the belief that we have probably created more enemies over there than we have killed.