• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels monitoring Chase Utley's rehab

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/07/24/the-angels-are-monitoring-chase-utley/

Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com reports that the Angels have “been monitoring the rehab” of Chase Utley. Utley has been trying to come back from inflammation in his right ankle and may be back soon.

I said at the beginning of the season that Utley could be an interesting target later in the season, as he's a former UCLA guy and I'm sure would want to play for a contender. Then he went and had an awful first half of the season and got hurt yet again. Sure seems like he's toast. He was truly great once, and I guess there's always a chance he could recapture some of that, but at this point I don't think it's a safe bet that he could even duplicate the modest numbers Giavotella is putting up.

Nice of the Angels to do this for the Phillies but why can't the Phillies monitor their own player's rehab? Isn't that what teams are supposed to do with their own players?

Oh wait a minute...you mean the Angels have interest in Utley? Somebody might want to tell them they're about 6 years too late on this one

I guess if you can get him for nothing and definitely as long as his option doesn't vest next year.

Yeah, I'm sure that's the logic they're using. And hey, if by some chance he is able to recapture even a sliver of his old self, that's a meaningful addition to the lineup and could be useful in the playoffs.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/07/24/the-angels-are-monitoring-chase-utley/

Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com reports that the Angels have “been monitoring the rehab” of Chase Utley. Utley has been trying to come back from inflammation in his right ankle and may be back soon.

I said at the beginning of the season that Utley could be an interesting target later in the season, as he's a former UCLA guy and I'm sure would want to play for a contender. Then he went and had an awful first half of the season and got hurt yet again. Sure seems like he's toast. He was truly great once, and I guess there's always a chance he could recapture some of that, but at this point I don't think it's a safe bet that he could even duplicate the modest numbers Giavotella is putting up.

Or maybe it was all part of some evil plot to drag his trade value down so that it would be easier for a contender to trade for him.

Edited by Mark68

Wow, so it's come to this. I'm aware the options out there aren't great, but Chase Utley? I guess if you can get him for nothing and definitely as long as his option doesn't vest next year.

Utley is under contract through 2018 at $15M per.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

He has a vesting option for each year after this year. It vests of he reaches 500 PAs and there is no way he'll reach that this year, especially since he is a reserve 2B at this point. So pretty much this is his last year.

Funny, the contract site I visited omitted that little detail. If true, that would make this a more palatable deal as long as we don't give up much.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

Chase had a few good years in the last decade and has sucked since. Those players are always liable to be picked up by this franchise and usually at a significant cost.

Year - Ave/OBP/SLG% OPS+ WAR

2014 - .270/.339/.407 - 110 - 3.7

2013 - .283/.348/.475 - 126 - 3.6

2012 - .256/.365/.429 - 114 - 3.0

2011 - .259/.344/.425 - 110 - 3.8

2010 - .275/.387/.445 - 123 - 5.8

I'm not saying this team should pick up Utley - he's cratered across the board, but your description of the type of player he's been in recent years is not in any way shape or form based on reality.

Edited by Inside Pitch

Since it sounds like he'll basically cost us nothing, I don't think it's the worst idea in the world. However, I'd be a lot more excited by it if Utley was a 3B or LF. Gia has been pretty solidly mediocre all year, and I think it's a longshot that Utley is even that. I'd hate to see them take ABs away from Gia just to see if they can catch lightning in a bottle with Utley. 

Since it sounds like he'll basically cost us nothing, I don't think it's the worst idea in the world. However, I'd be a lot more excited by it if Utley was a 3B or LF. Gia has been pretty solidly mediocre all year, and I think it's a longshot that Utley is even that. I'd hate to see them take ABs away from Gia just to see if they can catch lightning in a bottle with Utley. 

Only thing I could imagine they could be clinging to is the idea that he would be a defensive upgrade -- but he's been awful there too.   He was a great player -- but those legs finally appear to have given out.

Edited by Inside Pitch