• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Who do you want for GM?

I honestly cannot imagine a scenario where we can get a good GM.  But I also think that Moreno doesn't discern his ass from a hole in the ground.

So lets hear from the other side:  Who we gonna get?

Edited by yk9001

You do you want?

I want a GM with grammatical accuracy.

Eh, you caught it quick enough.

Honestly, a guy that can keep Trout happy. Do free agents really want to come play for Arte at this point?

They need to fix this image problem. I wonder how Arte and Pujols relationship was before Albert turned it back on this year.

I'd actually prefer to get a consortium of smart baseball guys, not one dude to call all the shots. I think the GM position could be obsolete in this org.

We need a brain trust to make all the decisions and not let Arte rule with his heart.

Although it sounds like they may have had that with Dipoto, Servias, and Morris.

There isn't one magical guy. Or if there is, find the guy who resonates best with whomever is the best upcoming free agent.

I'd be really concerned about drawing free agent talent with his mess.

Edited by SOTO

Follow your passion.  As much as anything these jobs are a way of life that often require both resiliency and unconditional love of the game.  In the end all types of skill sets and backgrounds work – but those that are rooted in true passion for the game are those that will last the longest.  â€“ Jerry Dipoto, Angels General Manager

Well, I guess I usually fill the role as Scioscia and Moreno nutswinger so I will give it a shot. I don't know who is available, but I want someone that uses analytics and can get people to see his vision. I also want that person to be able to hire his own manager and field staff. I would prefer that the manager or at least some of the coaches have ties to the Angels. Keep in mind, I think Scioscia will be opting out, especially the more and more of these stories that come out, he will want to move on.

One of the Assistant GM's (don't know enough about them to evaluate them fairly).... Preferably one who is smart and can do what DiPoto couldn't...work w/ Scioscia and Arte w/out being a lapdog....is that possible? Dunno...I hope so...

Well, I guess I usually fill the role as Scioscia and Moreno nutswinger so I will give it a shot. I don't know who is available, but I want someone that uses analytics and can get people to see his vision. I also want that person to be able to hire his own manager and field staff. I would prefer that the manager or at least some of the coaches have ties to the Angels. Keep in mind, I think Scioscia will be opting out, especially the more and more of these stories that come out, he will want to move on.

Strad, I chuckled at your post. "I guess i fill the role". I expect to see you at a game wearing a #14 jersey with "nutswinger" on the back. You are the lead cheerleader. Don't ever change buddy.

You should know me better than that Soto. I don't argue about Scioscia I argue about the arguer. The reason that is so easy is the people that hate him speak in absolutes, so it is easy to argue against it. If I were to defend Sosh, it would be based on reality. Basically I play a lot of devil's advocate, and I do it with most. For example, in the thread about Sosh pinch hitting Cron, I didn't defend Sosh, I basically gave the reason he pinch hit Cron. Now because I don't go full retard and talk about how fat he is, and tht he is the absolute worst manager ever, I would be considered his nutswinger. The other thing I will mention is Mike gets killed for not being a stat guy, yet year in and year out his teams beat the projected win total. You can call me a nutswinger but it is a fact.

someone who is 100% empowered and authorized to fire/hire the manager etc.

someone who is on the analytical side of things (kinda like the A's, Rays, Astros, Dodgers, etc.) but also incorporates traditional scouting, experience, etc.  Tries to strike a balance.

we had a good GM.  even if we got another one, what would it matter?

If we had a good GM, then Moreno must have been "able to discern his ass from a hole in the ground."  The problem is not finding a good GM, it's managing a good GM.  A GM has to report to someone, and that someone has to define what he can do or not do.  And he has to back that GM when he believes he is right, and criticize him when he is wrong, privately.

To bring it back to Dipoto, I think Arte didn't define his role, he just said hey Jerry, you're our GM, go do a good job.  And he probably didn't do a good job of telling him what he could do and what he couldn't do.  And if you draw an Angels organization chart it would look more like both the GM and the manager report to Arte, that's not traditional, and it takes a lot of maintenance to make it work that way.  Someone has to constantly buffer differences of opinion.  So they hired an individual, Rico Brogna, to do that job, but they didn't give him any authority to properly do that job.  He's was least a couple of levels below Scioscia and Dipoto in the organization, why should they listen to him?

It all comes down to relationships.  Whoever gets hired better have a good relationship with Arte, then maybe he will be able to implement his ideas even if they differ from Scioscia's.  It's either that or Scioscia goes, and you revert back to the traditional way of doing things, manager reports to GM, GM reports to owner, owner is a baseball god and can do what he wants with his baseball team.