• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The bottom line is...

1) The Angels have gotten off to a disappointing start (4-9) with some serious red flags raised, in particular with regards to the starting pitching.

2) Regardless of that, it IS still early - there is plenty of time to turn this ship around.

3) We all love the Angels and simply have no choice but to sit back and hope for the best.

Plenty of 90-win teams start off slow. While I'm tempted to back down from my preseason prediction of 93-69, I'll stick with it - at least for now. I just see too much talent on this team and, wWhen it comes down to it, the only aspect of the team that I'm really worried about is the rotation. Despite a rather anemic start, I think the lineup will gel and start scoring runs - a lot of them. I also think the bullpen already looks better than last year and will settle down, especially once Jepsen and Madson come back. But I am worried about the rotation - and not just one or two starters, but from top to bottom. But there's time.

So while I'm worried, I'm not throwing in the towel or calling for any heads. Perhaps Butcher should go and I'm starting to join the ranks of those that think it might be time for a new manager, but even then I don't think you remove Scioscia unless the Angels are well below .500 come June 1 or out of contention by the All-Star Break. Its been 13 games.

And yes, this also means not finalizing any judgments about Jerry Dipoto. But I think the tarnish is quite evident in the armor; there's been a funny "Angels meme" that Dipoto is the savior for excesses of the Reagins Era, "In Dipoto We Trust." But the thing is, we still haven't seen it. He's made some bold moves, some savvy trades, but very little seems to have turned out well. But he deserves the year, at least, to see how his plan unfolds.

So let's keep the big picture in mind. The baseball seasons is 162 games, not 13. Let's be worried but let's not write the season off yet. I mean think about it - if the Angels had won 3 more games they'd be 7-6 and none of us would be sweating. Even two, at 6-7, would be like "Not a great start but we'll be fine." The hour is young.

So while I'm worried, I'm not throwing in the towel or calling for any heads. Perhaps Butcher should go and I'm starting to join the ranks of those that think it might be time for a new manager, but even then I don't think you remove Scioscia unless the Angels are well below .500 come June 1 or out of contention by the All-Star Break. Its been 13 games.

While I tend to agree with you, I'm not sure that the Angels can afford to wait until June 1.  We all have our own opinions about whether to make changes, but if the front office is even contemplating Scioscia's release, they may as well get it done now.  If you wait until June, it will be too late to have any effect on the season.  Also, for the sake of argument, its been more than 13 games.  The team has been a disappointment for a few years now.  Its not just that they've been failing to win the division, but they've been failing to seriously compete when they've had the potential to do so.

Bottom line:

Attendance will be down due to a combination of team performance and ridiculous ticket prices.

Arte will still get his money from internet service providers gouging all of us to pay for the foolish $3B Fox Sports contract.

I can't get over the fact that they're situational hitting is that bad so far. How can you possibly have a .129 average with RISP?

We also have an unusually high number of chances. The number left on base so far has been mind boggling.

bottom line for me is I have seriously adjusted my expectations.  I don't even really have that secret hope in the back of my mind that they're going to magically turn it around and be the super team of our dreams.  This is just a mediocre baseball team, plain and simple, and because of the contracts and the state of the farm system, will probably remain that way for a while.

Plenty of time to right the ship but this team just seems to make stupid decisions year in and year.  I'm still shaking my head at Howie getting thrown out on a pop fly to the OF where he got caught between 2nd and 3rd base.  There was no reason for him to be where he was as it was clearly a catchable ball.  Luckily the team rallied but there's still no excuse for stuff like that.

I'm having trouble accepting this season. My Chargers and UNLV Rebels had such bad seasons I felt like I really needed this baseball season and its driving me crazy to watch the train wreck thus far.

I am throwing around a lot of blame but the point is, we are 4-9. At this point, right now, a pretty bad team. Things can change quick but right now, we aren't good from top to bottom.

I also think the bullpen already looks better than last year and will settle down, especially once Jepsen and Madson come back. But I am worried about the rotation - and not just one or two starters, but from top to bottom. But there's time.

Do you really believe Jepsen is hurt? If so, what is the injury he claims he has?

Bringing Jepsen back will not settle down the bullpen, unless of coarse he is given proper instruction on how to pitch, and then implements it. Since I haven’t seen any sign of that happening in quite some time, I’m not holding my breathe. 

I'm not so sure about Wilson at this point. Depending on how this season plays out, we might have Jered and the Four Bums.

Unless Richards pushes one of them out of the way.

Hopefully that is exactly what happens to Blantana. Sooner the better!!