• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels-Phillies discussing trade...

Just say no to Revere.

I say yes..  He's much better than what we have.

Howard is just a throw in and MUCH better than Joyce/Cron/Navarro/Cowgill. Like tdwag said, you get them to throw in Howard and pay some of his salary and get a leadoff hitter and slugger.

Laugh at Howard not being man enough or have enough power to hit a ball out of Anaheim stadium.

IP, not everything can be explained by advanced stats or even logic. Sometimes a change of scenery helps. Sometimes players hit better at home and it has no bearing on the dimensions. To say Howard doesn't have enough power to hit a ball out of Anaheim is laughable. 

Revere would add much needed speed and defense and has a plus attitude and is a hard worker (look it up and read what Denard Span had to say about him).  Cowgill is a good spare part but when playing everyday his warts show.  Joyce needs to strictly be a DH.  Revere has proved he can hit .300 over a season and in his early minor league career did take some walks so maybe all he needs is a change of scenery.

The Phillies have tipped their hand and shown he's not in their plans so the cost should be cheap - none of the Angels top prospects for sure and especially not any of their top pitching prospects. 

The Phils are motivated to trade Revere for they don't want a minor leaguer making $4M+.

Why Howard has crept into the discussion is crazy.  Joyce and Cron are the Angels DH for the season.

Edited by ksangel

Pujols, Hamilton, THE REST OF OUR LINEUP sans Trout/Calhoun  < Ryan Howard.

I doubt we even trade for him, but he's leaps and bounds better than what we have.

The only way I get behind this is if the Phillies give us Revere and pay some of his contract AND we don't have to give up a top prospect.

Under those parameters, I'm fully on board.

I say yes..  He's much better than what we have.

Howard is just a throw in and MUCH better than Joyce/Cron/Navarro/Cowgill. Like tdwag said, you get them to throw in Howard and pay some of his salary and get a leadoff hitter and slugger.

Laugh at Howard not being man enough or have enough power to hit a ball out of Anaheim stadium.

IP, not everything can be explained by advanced stats or even logic. Sometimes a change of scenery helps. Sometimes players hit better at home and it has no bearing on the dimensions. To say Howard doesn't have enough power to hit a ball out of Anaheim is laughable. 

So basically, you're wishing.  I've done it myself, I've just never tried to paint it as anything other than wishing.

You can ignore data if you please, stats are more a record of what happened than a predictor of future performance in many cases, but I've learned enough over the years to not ignore the numbers when they serve as warning signs.   It's having wished on guys that's led me to look for answers in the data when it didn't work out.  

If Ben Revere were even Orlando Palmiero I'd be in favor of making a play for him, but he isn't.  I'll admit I have a personal bias against empty batting averages, particularly at non glove positions like LF, but Revere is all perception and no production.  People keep talking about how he will improve the defense when he's shown himself to be a poor defender.  Sure he's quick, but he gets bad reads, takes poor routes and had no arm, its not just the metrics, it's the eye test for me..   As a back up OFer/pinch runner -- sure.  As an everyday player -- heaven help us.  People rail at the idea of having Aybar lead off but Revere is a good idea?  I can't even begin to wrap my mind around that one.

Ryan Howard has power, so did Josh Hamilton, unfortunately Angel Stadium plays the way it plays.   Nobody has said he doesn't have the power to hit it out of Anaheim, but there is no denying the park negatively impacts LHBs, to ignore it in favor of wishing....  well, THAT is laughable.  There is also the AL/NL thing, the recent history of injury and ineffectiveness, how many red flags do you need before you realize wishing might not be enough?

I mean, if you can get Howard for 5 mil per, fine but I doubt that's possible.  Dude has next year and a 10 mil buyout left for the year after that...  I seriously doubt that Amaro is willing to take on 50 mil of what he is due.

Does defense factor into that? Honest question.

Of course it does -- but it's also weighted to each position.   He's had one season where he posted a WAR better than 1.0 in the previous 5 seasons.  I know you are enticed by his power but....  Cmon...   I mean, Vernon Wells hit 25 HRs his first year in Anaheim, he also didn't out 180 times -- are you really going to tell me that Wells was a useful part of that 2012 team?

Edited by Inside Pitch

Speaking of Tyler DeLoach: In 59 games appeared in, 45 starts, DeLoach has struck out 296 batters over 274 1/3 innings, while holding opposing batters to a .202 BAA. his ERA over that span is 3.08, with a solid 1.14 WHIP career.

This season he hasn't missed a beat, boasting a 2.00 ERA, 0.91 WHIP and holding opposing batters to a .196 BAA.

What's NOT to like about DeLoach? He doesn't throw 98 MPH with movement like Richards, but he's around 89-93 MPH with his fastball, has average to above average secondary stuff. 

I have never seen DeLoach sniff 93 mph much less 90.  I still like him, especially as a RP and think his numbers aren't a fluke at all, but his fastball whenever I've watched him (maybe a half dozen times now) has operated anywhere between 84-89, and 90% of the time it's 86-87.  That's Jered Weaver territory and that's a very far reach away from 94.  He's good, but he's a soft-tosser. No need to gossy that up.