• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels-Phillies discussing trade...

So are we just ignoring what he is doing this year then? You don't think a proven vet hitting 260 with 25 plus bombs a year for let's say 5 mil a year is not a good move? Are strikeouts a concern? An out is an out right?

He is having a nice year sure, but I highly doubt he hits .260, probably will end up around .235 here. Yes, he will hit around 25 home runs, but strikeouts are a huge concern when you had 190 last season while only hitting .223. He is 35 and we would have him next year as well, and again Sosh loves to play veterans so I see him getting many opportunities even if he is terrible. I would rather call up Bandy and try Iannetta at DH before we start getting this desperate. 

Someone posted this in the other Howard thread, but here are his road OPS numbers from the past few years

2014: .668

2013: .619

2012: .696

He does have a nice .797 OPS this season, but I will take the 2012-14 sample size. I don't want to add another really old player who has struggled in recent years. There is a reason the Phillies have been trying to dump him (and eat most of his salary) the past 3 seasons.

Edited by HeavenlyHalos

He is having a nice year sure, but I highly doubt he hits .260, probably will end up around .235 here. Yes, he will hit around 25 home runs, but strikeouts are a huge concern when you had 190 last season while only hitting .223. He is 35 and we would have him next year as well, and again Sosh loves to play veterans so I see him getting many opportunities even if he is terrible. I would rather call up Bandy and try Iannetta at DH before we start getting this desperate.

Someone posted this in the other Howard thread, but here are his road OPS numbers from the past few years

2014: .668

2013: .619

2012: .696

He does have a nice .797 OPS this season, but I will take the 2012-14 sample size. I don't want to add another really old player who has struggled in recent years. There is a reason the Phillies have been trying to dump him (and eat most of his salary) the past 3 seasons.

He was hurt 2 out of those 3 years though.

I'm going to go ahead and say that whomever it is we want to keep, are the players/prospects other teams are going to want. Remember how much of a "disaster" most of us thought the Street trade was at first? It was because we traded several players we all wanted to keep.

So are we just ignoring what he is doing this year then? You don't think a proven vet hitting 260 with 25 plus bombs a year for let's say 5 mil a year is not a good move? Are strikeouts a concern? An out is an out right?

I'm choosing to ignore a hot streak in May in favor of a sample size that goes for years.

Ryan Howard in April - .194/.247/.417

Ryan Howard in May - .328/.377/.609 -- with a BABIP of .447 the lat 15 games

The guy's career BABIP is .319, he isn't performing to normal, he's on a blasted hot streak.    But lets pretend the last four years didn't happen, and let's pretend that Angel Stadium doesn't hurt LHB...   

Beyond the obvious, the guy can only play 1B or DH...  What could possibly go wrong?

Edited by Inside Pitch

Ryan Howard sucks and should only be a throw-in with the Phillies taking on 60% or more of his remaining salary. His actual trade value should be minimal at best. Like, a relief prospect not named Bedrosian for him at best.

I didn't like what we gave up in the Street trade, but we got the player we needed and will end up having him for 3.5 yrs at a reasonable cost.  

I think JD does a very good job of knowing who to let go and who to keep.  So whoever goes for a guy like Revere might seem like an over pay at first, but won't be that big of a deal long term.  

My real issue with Revere no matter who we give up is thinking he's the solution to our problem.  We are putting a light hitting CFer at a corner OF position thinking that is going to help.  

Don't get me wrong, he's not a horrible player.  He just doesn't solve our problem.  

I didn't like what we gave up in the Street trade, but we got the player we needed and will end up having him for 3.5 yrs at a reasonable cost.  

I think JD does a very good job of knowing who to let go and who to keep.  So whoever goes for a guy like Revere might seem like an over pay at first, but won't be that big of a deal long term.  

My real issue with Revere no matter who we give up is thinking he's the solution to our problem.  We are putting a light hitting CFer at a corner OF position thinking that is going to help.  

Don't get me wrong, he's not a horrible player.  He just doesn't solve our problem.  

That depends on how you define solving the problem.  He's definitely better than what we have right now.  I don't think anybody is expecting awesome returns from him; we're just expecting he'd be better than what we have.

this reminds me a little of when Brandon Wood didn't produce at 3B leaving a gaping hole; we had to fill a hole and did so with Alberto Callaspo

by going from almost zero production to almost league average production  was a drastic upgrade for us

If you don't see how Revere is an upgrade over Joyce/Cowgill then you might need glasses.

But again, it depends upon the cost.

How is Revere a substantial upgrade over Cowgill?  Cowgill has been worth more this season than Revere in about 1/3 the at bats, primarily because he is actually a good defender where Revere is Juan Pierre lite.  Cowgill also has .233 BABIP right now as opposed to a career average of .311.  You make it sound so obvious, but Revere is a very, very mediocre baseball player.  It's like asking someone if they'd rather step in cow shit or dog shit.  At least with Cowgill we aren't dealing prospects for a return of shit.

I'd venture to say we'd have the same record at the end of the season whether we played Cowgill or Revere in left field.  Every projection model also agrees with this assumption, even giving Cowgill a slight edge.

Edited by Reveille1984