• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Will the Angels stick with Joyce/Cowgill/Cron/Navarro?

No article, just a question, what do you think?  Do you think the Angels stick with their current DH situation, being Cron, Navarro and Joyce?  Do they stick with their current OF alignment with Joyce, Navarro and Cowgill splitting time in LF?

If not, who do you think the Angels go after either at or before the deadline?  Guys that are immeidately available, Carlos Quentin would cost the league minimum as a DH option.  Perhaps Dom Brown once he's rehabbed. Jose Tabata is currently back in AAA for the Pirates and he hasn't been bad in the majors. 

At the deadline it gets a bit more tricky just because you never know who's buying or selling. Maybe Cespedes if the Tigers suck as bad as I think they will.  Alex gordon if the Royals can't beat anyone other than us, Justin Upton if the Padres quit winning.  Perhaps Heyward next winter. \

They could go the AAA route too.  Grant Green's been hitting the ball well in AAA and seems to do an alright job defensively, plus he can be shifted around the infield too.  Kubitza could use the full year in AAA but right now he's hitting .400, maybe they move him to LF until next year when he takes over 3B.  

So what do you think is going to happen with this situation? 

Myers is 24, a former Rookie of the Year in only a half season worth of play, is under control for 5 more years and has the upside to be a perennial all-star. The guy was Kris Bryant before Kris Bryant was Kris Bryant, batting over .300 with 37 bombs between AA and AAA.  

Wrist injuries are the worst thing a hitter can have, just ask David Ortiz.  They take a year or two to heal completely.  Myers is healthy now and leading off for a pretty potent lineup.  

The point I'm trying to make, he's not the sort of hitter that's traded. I mean everyone here loves Kole Calhoun, but Myers is the type of young player that it'd take Calhoun and Newcomb to acquire.  Not only are you not getting him, you're better off not getting him because of the price. 

The only player in that lineup the Angels have a 1% chance of getting is Justin Upton, and that's only if the Padres start losing a lot of games and he decides not to sign an extension, which he's already expressed interest in doing.  

Just me guessing, but I think the Angels just roll with what they have for now and make a strong push for Upton or Heyward in Free Agency next Winter. 

I'd be surprised if we don't make a move for a bat, but it could always be at 2B instead of the OF/DH mix. If we're not getting much out of Cron types a couple of months into the season and Kubitza keeps hitting well at AAA, another option would be to bring him up to play 3B and stick Freese at DH.

I'd be surprised if we don't make a move for a bat, but it could always be at 2B instead of the OF/DH mix. If we're not getting much out of Cron types a couple of months into the season and Kubitza keeps hitting well at AAA, another option would be to bring him up to play 3B and stick Freese at DH.

Kibitza's defense at 3B is not as good at Freese's defense at 3B, at least not yet.  His range, arm, athleticism and growth suggest it could be soon, but for now, part of the reason why he's in AAA is because he needs to get himself cleaned up at 3B.  I think he'll actually be a good defensive 3B in a few years, but refinement is necessary. 

I've thought about Kubitza in left field, too. He's got good speed and a strong arm, just hasn't really impressed at third. Start grooming Johnson as the next third baseman maybe? If the Halos do end up getting a nice portion, or heck maybe even the rest, of Hamilton's contract off the books, I don't know if I'd be eager to be tied down by another big contract. There's definitely time to come back and evaluate this later at the same time. We still don't know Hamilton's status, haven't seen enough of Joyce (although he shouldn't play left field), maybe Kubitza is given a shot? Didn't think I'd have to worry about someone other than Josh playing left field for a couple more years. Weird.  

I don't see Sherman Johnson being an MLB caliber starting 3B. His numbers in A Ball weren't overwhelming at all, despite being a year or two older than league average.  He had great numbers in the Cal League last year.  But keep in mind, there's only one neutral park in the whole league, the rest are extremely friendly on hitters.  That park just happened to be his home park in San Bernardino.  And what were his numbers there? .250 with 2 HR's.  He's widely considered a below average defensive 3B and above average defensive 2B.  

There is one big thing Johnson has working in his favor though.  Intelligence. He understands what pitchers are trying to do and does a heck of a job battling them.  That's why you see an impressive OBP.  You hang tough with pitchers in the minors, they'll eventually make mistakes and put you on base.  He's also a smart, aggressive runner.  He's not necessarily fast, on the contrary he's rather average for a second baseman, but he picks the right moments to take off, he pushes the envelope and takes the extra base. 

It makes him a good player to have in the organization, but I just don't see a future as a starting 3B in the major leagues for him. Kubitza comes with the same sort of game intelligence but much more offensive ability. 

I don't understand why the Royals would trade Alex Gordon - he's playoff hero, arguably their best player, and it isn't like they're crapping the bed. The rest of the options are mediocre or out of reach. I'm guessing the Angels have a revolving door, with the hopes that someone works out. If not, well, DH will simply be a game of musical chairs all year.

Keep Cowgill; get rid of Joyce; call up Green to be bench OF cover along with Navarro. For DH, demote Cron and...oh hell, I don't even know .There has to be someone in the farm system who can actually hit the ball and be a competent utility player. Somewhere. Give Krauss another try, perhaps?

Edited by AngelsSurfer

None of this matters if Pujols doesn't start hitting. The guy looks terrible. If he's going to be a .250 hitter from here on out we are in deep shit

If Albert wants to hit .250 and just swing for the fences everytime that's fine but move him down a damn spot. Would've been nice to grab a bat like Upton's this offseason and have him hit 3rd.

This Joyce experiment is the Ibanez situation all over again. They'll stay with Joyce for two months too long. He's looked terrible and I don't see why I should believe it'll get any better.

Never thought we'd miss Howie but damn, our best bet right now is to hope Hamilton returns.

Bottom line is we're missing a bat and it's obvious.