• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Will the Angels stick with Joyce/Cowgill/Cron/Navarro?

Cron went deep today. He should be good to go as DH once he finally settled down. But in LF, Joyce figures to Improve as long as he only faces RHP that throw him inside. He's basically the inexpensive version of Hamilton at the plate at this point, and his defense doesn't figure to improve.

The best bet we have is Cowgill because while he won't provide any offensive value, he'll at least give you good defense.

Edited by ScottyA_MWAH

• 2 weeks later...

I think the Angels are going to roll with Cron at DH and a platoon of Joyce/Green/Cowgill in LF, at least until things go south, which they will mostly because Scioscia doesn't know how to handle an actual platoon.  

Joyce will continue to be absolutely useless, but is going to improve just to the point where he has Scioscia believing he's about to pull out of the slump, which won't actually happen.  He'll keep Green on the bench too long, so he won't have any sort of momentum offensively by the time he does actually get in the game, then they'll send him right back to AAA.  Scioscia will continue to turn to Cowgill against most RHP and Cowgill will continue to flounder at the plate and play defense. 

The LF position is going to be an absolute sink-hole this year.  Then one of three things will happen....

1. The Angels will severely overpay at the trade deadline to land a good but marginal LF...or

2. The Angels will wait until the offseason and severely overpay to bring in a hyped but not actually good LF.

3. The Angels will fill the vacancy internally with Gary Brown or Chad Hinshaw

Cowgill is good defensively, and if Cron keeps hitting the way he has been in the last few games, there should be no question about keeping him. Grant Green should stay up, too. Navarro seems to be the most expendable for the moment, and Joyce just doesn't seem to be working out. I'd send Joyce down if possible and try to trade him if not, if he is still showing the same numbers next month.

I think the Angels are going to roll with Cron at DH and a platoon of Joyce/Green/Cowgill in LF, at least until things go south, which they will mostly because Scioscia doesn't know how to handle an actual platoon.

Joyce will continue to be absolutely useless, but is going to improve just to the point where he has Scioscia believing he's about to pull out of the slump, which won't actually happen. He'll keep Green on the bench too long, so he won't have any sort of momentum offensively by the time he does actually get in the game, then they'll send him right back to AAA. Scioscia will continue to turn to Cowgill against most RHP and Cowgill will continue to flounder at the plate and play defense.

The LF position is going to be an absolute sink-hole this year. Then one of three things will happen....

1. The Angels will severely overpay at the trade deadline to land a good but marginal LF...or

2. The Angels will wait until the offseason and severely overpay to bring in a hyped but not actually good LF.

3. The Angels will fill the vacancy internally with Gary Brown or Chad Hinshaw

I know it's too early to tell right now since we have no idea what our record will be near the deadline but I agree with you about the mess in left. We'll be a bit behind the pack and just choose to ride it out this year and go with number 2.

My hope is we don't overpay and grab Cespedes, while teams are overpaying for Upton and Heyward. He's got pop and well we've all seen his arm on display many times! If he doesn't have too big of a year this year he could be somewhat under the radar come free agency time.

I know history says Arte will spend again but I feel like this whole Hamilton thing combined with the let down Pujols has been may have finally been the last straw when it comes to throwing big contracts at players.

Edited by CanadianHalo

I think if I had a vote, I'd relegate Joyce to the role Navarro had. Plant his underperforming tail on the bench and only put him in to face RHP late in the game. Next, I'd send Cowgill down in favor of Gary Brown, that way we actually have speed on the bench. I'd play Green out in LF and sub him out late in the game for Brown.

That way, we'll have about average defense in LF and a bat that'll hit for average with a few DB's and HR's sprinkled in.

Right now, by sticking with Joyce they're accepting horrible defense and little or no offense just because he's a veteran.

I think if I had a vote, I'd relegate Joyce to the role Navarro had. Plant his underperforming tail on the bench and only put him in to face RHP late in the game. Next, I'd send Cowgill down in favor of Gary Brown, that way we actually have speed on the bench. I'd play Green out in LF and sub him out late in the game for Brown.

That way, we'll have about average defense in LF and a bat that'll hit for average with a few DB's and HR's sprinkled in.

Right now, by sticking with Joyce they're accepting horrible defense and little or no offense just because he's a veteran.

Totally realized who Gary Brown was. Dude was once touted the best prospect on the Giants only a couple of years ago. Keyword: WAS. Oh well, he's still fairly young (26 years old) so let's hope for the best as usual.