• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

An apprecication of Vlad

yk9001

I just started reading this, and even the first story is good.

What a fun player he was.

http://deadspin.com/vladimir-guerrero-had-hubris-and-he-had-balls-1689124654

On a side note, one of the things I liked about him is that we didn't know a lot about him.  No social media, he barely spoke english, he appeared to be shy.

Whether by design or not, the "Lesser is better" off the field was the way with this guy. 

Started reading as well. Was fortunate to hang out with him and his family a few times. Truly great and humble guy.

He was always shy speaking English, but I actually remember the one pregame interview he did in English. I thought it would become the norm, but that was the only one.

Trout likely goes on to become the better hitter (still needs years to do it, but he will), but as good as he is, i dont think he or anyone else is ever as fun to watch as vlad was.

Guys like trout, mcab etc are great because they are professional hitters. Vlad was great because he was too, but also so much of a freak. So unorthodox. My favorite swing of all time becausw it was so ugly (always 2 hands and violent).

He was a lot more clutch with the bat than people remember. Yeah he looked poor in a few short playoff series', but he was the go to guy for years when we trailed a game, and that was knowing he was never getting good pitches to drive. I still say the biggest mistake this team made over the last decade was not hetting a second hitter to compliment him. It should have been GA but he got arthritis and fell off. With the 2000's pitching we had, we should have done a lot more damage, but vlad was the lone big bat in otherwise decent lineups (especially considering the bosox and yanks of that era).

And that arm....

The Angels acquired Teixeira for the second half of 2008.

Too bad Scioscia had an epic brain fart calling for the suicide squeeze in Game 4 with a lefthanded batter which allowed Varitek a clear line of signt at Willits crashing down the 3rd base line.  

Trout likely goes on to become the better hitter (still needs years to do it, but he will), but as good as he is, i dont think he or anyone else is ever as fun to watch as vlad was.

Guys like trout, mcab etc are great because they are professional hitters. Vlad was great because he was too, but also so much of a freak. So unorthodox. My favorite swing of all time becausw it was so ugly (always 2 hands and violent).

He was a lot more clutch with the bat than people remember. Yeah he looked poor in a few short playoff series', but he was the go to guy for years when we trailed a game, and that was knowing he was never getting good pitches to drive. I still say the biggest mistake this team made over the last decade was not hetting a second hitter to compliment him. It should have been GA but he got arthritis and fell off. With the 2000's pitching we had, we should have done a lot more damage, but vlad was the lone big bat in otherwise decent lineups (especially considering the bosox and yanks of that era).

And that arm....

He did some things on the baseball field no one has ever done. Dude was a freakish talent. He could hit a beebee with a fishing pole.

He had the plate discipline of a little leaguer but he was so damn talented and his plate coverage was so incredible that it truly didn't matter.

I'll never forget that HR he hit in the all star game. That was truly unbelievable and didn't get nearly enough props by the media. If jeets had done that, people would have shit their pants and still be talking about it