• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Jeff Fletcher on MLB Network

Jeff, are you a fan of any professional team?

How about college? Other than Ohio University, that is.

OU is the only team I have any sort of emotional investment in, college or pro. And usually OU stinks too much for me to get worked up.

It's not like that for everyone in sports media. Many can maintain their allegiance to teams in sports they don't cover but I really only cared about one football team and I guess I didn't care that much because now I don't.

My favorite baseball team was the Mariners, who I picked when I was 9 because I liked their uniforms. I was as die-hard a Mariners fan as can be from age 9 to 27. (Something I've discussed many times with Mark Langston and in fact with Harold Reynolds on Tuesday.) Once baseball became my job, I just lost my fan-dom. Not intentionally. It just happened.

i guess my next question would be - did you always want to be

a sportswriter?

since you didn't have any real attachment to specific teams growing

up, were you an avid sports fan ?

Aside from the part about following the Mariners from age 9 to 27?

i think what bruin is saying here is that, we, the aw.com community, dont recognize seattle as a team, nor their right to exist.

If we learned anything from the state of the Union thread we learned that the Mariners are not a democracy or a republic because the Mariners have a King. So F' them.

i guess my next question would be - did you always want to be

a sportswriter?

since you didn't have any real attachment to specific teams growing

up, were you an avid sports fan ?

I was as die-hard a Mariners fan as you could be. And just an overall avid baseball fan. So yes I did want to be a sports writer ever since I was about 13-14.

Thanks Toby I really appreciate the kind comments.

Sarcasm? I said the contributors here do a great job, yourself included.

I didn't mean to imply that they aren't legitimate writers. Just that it's not something you guys get paid to do. Unless Chuck is sending checks in which case I want in.

I didn't mean to imply that they aren't legitimate writers. Just that it's not something you guys get paid to do. Unless Chuck is sending checks in which case I want in.

I'm in the Writers Guild so, no, I don't get paid to write. But when I get Spielberg to read my script!

Total deadpan dude, I meant it fully as a joke. Jeff does a great job and deserves the praise. I just thought I'd slip in a funny which apparently missed the mark a little. I debated putting a smiley but thought it would be more funny without. From your perspective though I guess I see how you may have taken it a different way. Sorry! Edited by ettin

My bad. Yeah, he did. I can't find the original thread because the term took off and there are so many posts or threads with the word.

Haha, it's even on his Wiki page:

"He accepted a bet of $10,000 from 2+2 Poker Forums to say "lol donkaments" on an episode of High Stakes Poker, which he did after winning a hand against Erick Lindgren. After the initial $10,000, he also received a further $45,000 in donations from other charitable poker players who were amused by the bet"

Great story Brandon.  I'm a Greenstein fan.   This reminds me of a game we used to play (no money, but drinks) where someone in the LA market would designate a somewhat obscure word (never anything like donkaments) and slip it into the 11pm newscast.   Quite comical to see it and was a laugher at the Pig and Whistle, Dimples, or some other craphole afterwords.   

Great story Brandon. I'm a Greenstein fan. This reminds me of a game we used to play (no money, but drinks) where someone in the LA market would designate a somewhat obscure word (never anything like donkaments) and slip it into the 11pm newscast. Quite comical to see it and was a laugher at the Pig and Whistle, Dimples, or some other craphole afterwords.

That's awesome.

I vaguely remember the thread, but felt if he did it then it would be as awkward as showed because he initially passed over the idea and then as money was mentioned didn't really care to do it. Plus, I don't remember two different money sides. I thought we had just pledged money into a pot to send him if he said it.

But it worked out solid. Lindgren had no clue what he was talking about, but the dude busting up after Greenstein says it is sbrugby (Brian Townsend from Santa Barbara) who was a big poster on the forum and part of the bet/donation boost.

Great story Brandon.  I'm a Greenstein fan.   This reminds me of a game we used to play (no money, but drinks) where someone in the LA market would designate a somewhat obscure word (never anything like donkaments) and slip it into the 11pm newscast.   Quite comical to see it and was a laugher at the Pig and Whistle, Dimples, or some other craphole afterwords.   

Man, I remember the Pig 'n Whistle on Hollywood... next to the Egyptian.....    Time machine moment....