• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Revisiting the 2009 MLB Draft.

Richard

Old board bump.

Some good gems from the past. Many people reacted negatively to the Grichuk and Richards picks, and to the overall draft. Trout pick(page 7) was questioned by a few and not really thought of by many. Overall fun thread to revisit and shows how much Bane rocked that draft.

http://www.angelswin.com/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=21658&start=1

Edited by Richard

I was watching the draft that year. How's that for lame? Of course the trout pick stands out for me. He was the only kid at the draft! I rememember him coming up and getting hat and being interviewed. I also remember thinking how different this was from the nba and NFL drafts. I also remember thinking "WHY is he the only kid there"!

From Keith Law re: Trout 
Summary: Trout has emerged late in the spring as one of the top prep position-player prospects in this draft, with heavy crowds of scouts at his games when rain doesn't interfere. He's a good athlete with a solid approach (watch scouting video) at the plate, especially considering the level of competition the typical Northeastern kid faces. He's strong and squares balls up well, with good hip rotation and impressive hand strength. He can wrap his bat slightly just before swinging, although it was much more pronounced in his BP swings than it was in his game swings, and his front side gets a little soft when he makes contact. He's an above-average runner but not a burner, covering the ground he needs to in center field, but has a fringe-average arm and probably couldn't move to right. Trout was originally a second baseman and has played there a little this year; he also has taken BP with wood and even done it left-handed for scouts, which absolutely earns a player bonus points when it comes time for teams to set up their draft boards. He's a first-round talent and isn't likely to get out of the top 20 picks, so he's not likely to follow through on his commitment to East Carolina.

Now we know why Trout hadn't steal much lately..............mystery solved.

My favorites

Mike Trout, Milville (N.J.) HS, OF - Tremendous talent and makeup, Trout has skyrocketed upwards in the draft in his senior year of high school. Trout runs the 60-yard dash in 6.5 seconds. He has good range and instincts in center field and plenty of arm for the position. Trout's bat is not a sure thing, but he has a chance to be a solid-average hitter with average or better power. Like former 1st rounder Darin Erstad, he is a grinder who always plays the game hard. Most see him as a Aaron Rowand type with perhaps more stolen base and home run potential.

I'm guessing Aaron Rowand is going "Holy balls I was once compare to Mike Trout!"

99% sure we will be taking Matt Davidson with pick #24.

-Tyler

Man, what a disaster of a pick. You got to be kidding me.

- Halozin09

I heard they made this pick based on $.

- Hauldog

From Keith Law re: Trout 
Summary: Trout has emerged late in the spring as one of the top prep position-player prospects in this draft, with heavy crowds of scouts at his games when rain doesn't interfere. He's a good athlete with a solid approach (watch scouting video) at the plate, especially considering the level of competition the typical Northeastern kid faces. He's strong and squares balls up well, with good hip rotation and impressive hand strength. He can wrap his bat slightly just before swinging, although it was much more pronounced in his BP swings than it was in his game swings, and his front side gets a little soft when he makes contact. He's an above-average runner but not a burner, covering the ground he needs to in center field, but has a fringe-average arm and probably couldn't move to right. Trout was originally a second baseman and has played there a little this year; he also has taken BP with wood and even done it left-handed for scouts, which absolutely earns a player bonus points when it comes time for teams to set up their draft boards. He's a first-round talent and isn't likely to get out of the top 20 picks, so he's not likely to follow through on his commitment to East Carolina.

What happened to Victorious Ghost?

From the thread:

pimpmyteam - 6/9/2009 5:06 PM Angels take Grichuk

Chuck: AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!

Chuck being a superfan homer :P

was just thinking the other day about victorious ghost. Hesrd he had a falling out with some on here, dont know any specifics. He was one of my buddies though from the old board. Still miss reading jack daly's posts too.....

If anyone still goes to the other board, is exile in dc still around? What about thaisdad?

Morales4MVP

spacer.gifnav-messages.gifPosted 2009-06-09 9:58 AM (#490053 - in reply to #489335)

Subject: Re: The Official Angels 2009 Draft Thread  

Hall of Fame

I always like pitching in drafts, never can have too much and pitching is more valued than Hitting and you can always trade for hitting.

I hope to god they dont get Green if he drops to the Angels pick.....he's a toolsy Erstad overhyped type player.

Hmmm, you may have something there.

Blarg

spacer.gifnav-messages.gifPosted 2009-06-09 10:31 PM (#491602 - in reply to #491591)

Subject: Re: The Official Angels 2009 Draft Thread  

stephen-covey_2368411b.jpg

Hall of Fame

Napoli4MVP - 6/9/2009 10:27 PM
Angels Never Die - 6/9/2009 6:11 PM angels pick tyler skaggs
YES !!!! I heard he tops out at 92mph already. Give him a few years and he'll be throwing 95-96.

Maybe after a setback but don't expect any results sooner.

Oooops, sorry about that guys, didn't mean to jinx him.