• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Random Thoughts Thread

• 1 month later...

We went to an El Torito last night... I hadn't been to one in years (because I don't care for them), but I had a gift card...

When we walked in there was a sign at the host's podium... that said something along the lines of "We charge a 3.9% surcharge due to the cost of labor..."

WTF?

Just raise the price of the items on the menu.  Good grief.

Maybe they were making a point?  I don't know - but stuff like that just makes me not want to patronize those kinds of places of business.

To add to all of that...

When it was time to pay the bill, the server brought a device over and I had 3 choices for tip... 18%, 20%, 22%... actually 4 choices... "other."  She had highlighted the 20%.  Again, WTF?  We're good tippers and usually tip more than 20%, but that on - top of the 3.9% surcharge, just rubbed me the wrong way.

I understand the restaurant industry took a big time hit during Covid.  I know a lot of family owned places went under as did some corporate places.  But damn... it is really getting expensive to eat out.  When I do... I don't want them to nickle and dime me.  If I'm eating out, I'm prepared to pay more these days... just don't play games with me.

Edited by T.G.

5 hours ago, T.G. said:

We went to an El Torito last night... I hadn't been to one in years (because I don't care for them), but I had a gift card...

When we walked in there was a sign at the host's podium... that said something along the lines of "We charge a 3.9% surcharge due to the cost of labor..."

WTF?

Just raise the price of the items on the menu.  Good grief.

Maybe they were making a point?  I don't know - but stuff like that just makes me not want to patronize those kinds of places of business.

To add to all of that...

When it was time to pay the bill, the server brought a device over and I had 3 choices for tip... 18%, 20%, 22%... actually 4 choices... "other."  She had highlighted the 20%.  Again, WTF?  We're good tippers and usually tip more than 20%, but that on - top of the 3.9% surcharge, just rubbed me the wrong way.

I understand the restaurant industry took a big time hit during Covid.  I know a lot of family owned places went under as did some corporate places.  But damn... it is really getting expensive to eat out.  When I do... I don't want them to nickle and dime me.  If I'm eating out, I'm prepared to pay more these days... just don't play games with me.

The surcharge is supposed to be to pay for employee healthcare. I got chastised by board libs when I figured that the tip can be reduced since a larger portion of their living expenses were already paid for through the surcharge. That was one of the reasons they started inflating tips because they claimed they couldn't afford healthcare on wait staff salaries and tips.

And let's be honest, what you get for service is rarely good, it is minimal at best. When you go to a fine restaurant you aren't trying to flag down your waitress for a glass of water or to clear a clutter of plates. Your table is constantly attended to. That is top tip service, not your local BJ's that the waitress and the server are two different people so you have to direct traffic for where each plate goes. 

They had him cornered in a cul de sac and let him drive right through them. It would have been the perfect standoff with the block wall as the backdrop in case it turned into a shooting.

Instead they decided to have their shootout at a gas station that a stray bullet could have ignited the entire station. 

8 hours ago, Tank said:

How that guy was able to stand on his own once they pulled him from the car is either a testament to his stamina or an indictment of the officers shooting acumen. 

In all of these shootings you have to wonder if any of them spent time on the range after being assigned a uniform. 

49 minutes ago, Blarg said:

In all of these shootings you have to wonder if any of them spent time on the range after being assigned a uniform. 

I'm not worried about the range.  Because it looks like all the shots hit the car, and not the gas station or innocent bystanders.  

I'm more worried about if any of them have drivers licenses.  Because until that one guy got aggressive in the end.  None of them seemed to want to do anything but cruise and watch.  I know that Hacienda Heights area well.  How a guy with no front tire can just drive like that on a two lane "mountain" road (in the hills, but it's still a narrow windy road) with only one exit on each side (unless you know the roads) and evade the cops is just mind boggling.

we had our staff thanksgiving dinner tonight, a new tradition that i hope our new principal will hopefully make an annual thing.

our cafeteria chef offered two entrees - a vegetarian chicken dish, and brisket sliders. 

yessir, yes i did. @Adam i had me a slider and it was acceptable. the brisket was sliced thin and was topped with mustard and pepper jack cheese. wasn't fond of the cheese but the brisket was cooked well and was tender. i'd eat it again.

i'd like to try some with some really good bbq sauce. 

6 minutes ago, Taylor said:

@m0nkey I got through the queue in like 40 minutes, but by the time I got there, there were barely any tickets left. I kept refreshing but ended up not being able to get any tickets. Lame. 

Shit.  I'm still in line, but I've been reading the subreddit and seems like 8/5 started later.  Limited selection in general or just the cheap seats that are beneath you?