• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

9/11 13 year anniversary

LBHalos17

This is a subject that is near and dear to my heart and soul..

I was working for LBPD, and a 7-year veteran at the time..  I have family, friends, and know First-responders who survived responding to the Twin Towers, and some who didn't.  I can tell you this:  If I had been working NYPD or FDNY that day, I wouldn't be here today.  My first thought is not usually about myself, and I'm sure I would have been a number that day.  I'm rather thankful I wasn't there, and hope I never get to face a challenge like that..

I flew back to support in Oct. 2011.  I spent time on The Pile, and attended a funeral.  I'm not gonna get into the politics of what was missed after the first attempt in '93, but it broke my heart going-back and thinking about that and all my fellow First-responders who perished that day (and after).  I did pickup an application for FDNY while I was there, and seriously contemplated pulling a "Pat Tillman" and joining-up to take the fight to these assholes.  Luckily, I already had two small daughters to stay at home for..

9/11 is the day that changed all of us forever.  It seriously tempers my emotions regarding the new football season, and pennant-chase.

Every September, I take the time to remember and honor all of the heroes who began to fight-back for us that day.

I watch and re-watch shows, live tv that I taped all day before rolling into work, and movies.  I re-read chapters of several books, along with the MANY newspapers and magazines that I collected.

I started with "United 93" tonight.  It never fails to fire me up, and turn me into an instant MMA shadow-boxer.  I couldn't bear to go see it in theaters.  In the next two days, I will also watch "World Trade Center" and the documentary "9/11".  This is my "me-time" and I need to be alone with my thoughts to try and comprehend this abominable act..  NO ONE could have seen THIS coming.  ISIS and the rest of they're kindred/putred scum fake-loving Allah oxygen-thiefs need to be eradicated; they have no respect for life.

Anyway, my hope is that most of you folks have taken this event to heart, and are prepared to act or follow in any emergency rather than lay down.  I also hope you all seek-out the stories of all these heroes, and honor them in that way.

Here is the trailer for "United 93."  It's not quite perfectly accurate for me, as far as what I've read about all the phone calls, but it does capture the terror>heroism of the passengers/crew that day.  I would strongly suggest reading "Let's Roll" by Todd Beamers' widow, Lisa Beamer.

Anyway, sorry for the rant..  I have a great story from a First-Responder NYPD Friend that I wrote-up for our Department newsletter (and spoke about during our Citys' first 9/11 Memorial), but would like to get some thoughts from you guys first..  

I started with "United 93" tonight.    

I actually liked A&E's Flight 93 over United 93.  I thought Flight 93 focused more on the people, and United 93 more on the event.  

But in my lifetime, that day was a generational defining moment for the US.  We could have done what the terrorists were expecting, and cower and be scared.  But instead we rallied and united.  

The day our country changed...and I'm not sure for the better

Doves turned into hawks, and we willingly handed over many of our freedoms in the name of the "War on Terror".

I'm wondering what, if anything, is being planned for the anniversary by the Religion of Peace. There is a sobering thread in the political forum about several commercial aircraft that have disappeared from Libya and no one seems to know who has them or where they are.

Even though I'm up in the air on the whole conspiracy/politics side of things and have my opinions on Bush, The Patriot Act, and the way our nation was following the attacks, watching footage or listening to clips of 9/11 will always get me emotional. Too many innocent civilians and people doing good out of the kindness of their souls for me to have a black heart.

Tom Burnett's last conversation with his wife on September 11, 2001:

Tom: We’re waiting until we’re over a rural area. We’re going to take back the airplane.
...Deena: What about the authorities?
Tom: We can’t wait for the authorities. I don’t know what they could do anyway.
It’s up to us. I think we can do it.
Deena: What do you want me to do?
Tom: Pray, Deena, just pray.
Deena: (after a long pause) I love you.
Tom: Don’t worry, we’re going to do something.

post-50-0-77122400-1410454237_thumb.jpg

Tom Burnett's last conversation with his wife on September 11, 2001:

Tom: We’re waiting until we’re over a rural area. We’re going to take back the airplane.

...Deena: What about the authorities?

Tom: We can’t wait for the authorities. I don’t know what they could do anyway.

It’s up to us. I think we can do it.

Deena: What do you want me to do?

Tom: Pray, Deena, just pray.

Deena: (after a long pause) I love you.

Tom: Don’t worry, we’re going to do something.

That dude was a Man!

Yeah, I got the chills reading that.

That's one of the most badass things I've ever read.

the people on board the fourth plane are very high on my list of heroes. one of them was a collegiate wrestler and another was a rugby player. the two of them could have done some damage on the terrorists all by themselves. that they got all the passengers to attack the terrorists was tremendous. i'd like to think i would have done something like that if i were in their position.

I still find myself looking for those buildings on the skyline when I drive east towards NYC.

An image engrained in my mind that I hope never fades away.

I find myself watching old movies, and it seems that all of them that are set in NYC have a long-pause shot with the Towers in the background..