• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Halos record vs over .500, under .500 teams

You'd have to be quite a large homer to say there's no concern in our record against good teams, but one thing I take comfort from is it's not like we totally shit the bed like the 2010-12 Angels used to do on trips to Arlington (and other difficult teams). This mediocre post-ASB run has certainly had its problems, but the six losses have been by a combined nine runs. And I think it's hard to compare the team in its current state to what it was earlier in the season, when Calhoun was out, we didn't have all these quality bullpen arms and we had Frieri and Ibanez stinking up the joint and getting regular playing time. I'm willing to give it a bit more time before I start to get really worried about it.

In order to make it fair, youd have to look up the records for all the other contending teams.

Ibsee the dodgers getting a lot of praise on here, going back to last year. The latest sweep aside, they still have had a bad year against the giants. And theyve fluffed their record agsinst the west, especially arizona. But to the causal observer, im assuming a lot of people dont have the same concerns about them as they do us.

So the have played their last 9 games vs. playoff caliber teams resulting in playoff caliber games with a 4-5 record following back to back one run losses.   At the same time the A's have gone 5-4 in their last 9 vs. teams a combined 42 games below .500.  Naturally that means that the won't make the playoffs much less catch the A's... 

So I took a look at the 2002 schedule, and saw that the only teams over .500 that we played were Oakland, Seattle, Skanks, Red Sox, Twins, Raviners, and St. Louis, with the ChiSox being at .500.

Against the over .500 teams and the ChiSox in 2002, the Halos were just 38-42, and against the under .500 group, they were 61-21.

Plus, they started off just 2-11 against the over .500 group.

So like 2002, this 2014 team has totally cleaned up on the bad teams and progressively gotten better against the good teams (19-19 after May 7, after starting off just 7-13). 

Points are well taken from everyone.

Edited by Angel Oracle

We've played a ton of one run and extra inning games against the good teams. Our record could easily be much better or much worse against them. Going forward I think we'll play them even better and get a few more wins because we have the advantages of having the best player, equal or better bullpen, and Matt "the ace slayer" Shoemaker.

At least we wouldn't be facing the Tigers until October.

Those ten A's games remaining on the other hand, are beyond huge.  

Just need to continue to clean up on the under .500 teams, starting with the Red Sox on August 8.

Yeah that is one good thing about the trades that happened today.  We will play the Red Sox with their vastly depleted rotation and the Rays without Price.  And no Tigers for the rest of the regular season.

We've played a ton of one run and extra inning games against the good teams. Our record could easily be much better or much worse against them. Going forward I think we'll play them even better and get a few more wins because we have the advantages of having the best player, equal or better bullpen, and Matt "the ace slayer" Shoemaker.

I also think all these close games battle test a team for the playoffs.

Here's something else to get your mind around...the Angels have not won a game vs. the Orioles on a Tuesday this year. I'm not kidding you,you can look it up. What the hell is Scioscia doing on those Tuesdays? If the Halos play the Orioles on a Tuesday in the playoffs....we are ****ed. But on the plus side...they are 1-1 vs. Oakland on Tuesdays, so maybe they are ok.

Edited by red321