• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Billy Beane is perfect

He is a good GM, but he isn't perfect and yes people on here spoke about him like he was the very best there is. I admire what he does with that payroll it is pretty great. Oh forget about WS Championships, rate him on wining playoff series, they don't do too well at winning series either. I think it would be great if he were to go to a big market club and see how successful he is with a larger payroll.

he had his chance to be the GM of Boston and turned it down. 

He enjoys lowered expectations

he had his chance to be the GM of Boston and turned it down. 

He enjoys lowered expectations

Cmon dude..   That movie would have sucked if he had gone to Boston.  It would have been like if every Barbara Streisand movie ever ended with the male lead leaving her for the hot young chick instead of falling for Babs...

I love lamp.

the best record in baseball the past three seasons. Two straight division titles in the toughest division in mlb. Against teams that spend 4x as much.

This year they spent $82 million, so if you would have said 2x as much you would have been more accurate.

What confuses me is the A's lack of success in the playoffs, 7 times in the past 14 years without a appearance in the World Series.

Kinda reminds me of the Braves playoff run where they were there for like 10+ seasons straight, but never got passed the Division or Championship series. However a lot of their success to getting to the playoffs had to do with a weak division, from what I remember, and once they got to the stronger teams, they'd have a tough time.

The A's being in the West, not so much.

If you look at it in terms of building for the future, Dipoto's quietly done that.  I man look at the roster, where can they really upgrade in FA over the next couple of years?  The real question is what happens in 3 years?

Kendrick, Aybar, Freese, Weaver, Wilson, Smith & Street will all have reached FA by then.  

The only internal replacements we have are Yarbrough at 2B and Sean Newcomb at SP.  

There are a lot of maybes in Stamets at SS, Green, Sanchez, Almonte, Hurtado, Smith & McGowin at SP, Diaz, Bedorsian and Reynolds at RP.  

But I prefer something more concrete than maybe. 

not so much what?

Well from what I recall the Braves typically cruised into the playoffs with a 5-10 game lead to take their division. In the West there's typically some kind of race until the end, so it's not like the A's are making it in without having to battle for the spot. It's a bit more competitive in the West, you've got to earn your way there.

I think comparing GM's is kind of pointless.  I think you can say some are really good and some are not but each franchise is its own entity.

I have heard on here many times how Arte has forced moves on Dipoto (don't really believe this, but it seems to be a common belief on here) so that must be factored in.

Maybe the stat geeks can come up with some formula that takes into account meddling owners, budget, long term managers etc.  Until that, don't really see the point.

the best record in baseball the past three seasons. Two straight division titles in the toughest division in mlb. Against teams that spend 4x as much.

True. But to be fair, if you use that argument, you have to include the lean years when he was at the healm. Seems to be some on here who have forgotten the mid to late 2000's.

Scotty said: "Kendrick, Aybar, Freese, Weaver, Wilson, Smith & Street will all have reached FA by then."  

Of those, I can see Aybar and Weaver for sure re-signing.

Freese?   Only if we can't find a better 3B in the meantime.

Wilson?   Maybe, due to being a local, but he will be 36 in 2017, the first season of a new contract.  

Weaver in the meanwhile would only be 34 in 2017, his first year under a new contract; and thus a 3 years deal would make sense possibly.

Street and Smith?  Well besides their longtime involvement with sports annuals, Smith would be 33 when starting a new contract in 2017 and Street would be 32 in 2016.   Not bad ages to offer say 3 year deals to each, depending on how much they are commanding and how stocked the pen is by then.

Kendrick will be 33 in 2016, his first new contract season.   Plus 2B is one of the easiest spots to fill, and we do have Yarbrough.    

Edited by Angel Oracle

What confuses me is the A's lack of success in the playoffs, 7 times in the past 14 years without a appearance in the World Series.

Kinda reminds me of the Braves playoff run where they were there for like 10+ seasons straight, but never got passed the Division or Championship series. However a lot of their success to getting to the playoffs had to do with a weak division, from what I remember, and once they got to the stronger teams, they'd have a tough time.

The A's being in the West, not so much.

The A's are a team built on platoons and thus much more of a regular season type team.

The tigers the past two years have started all righties which takes away a lot of Oakland's advantage.

That and they blew it in game 2 in 2012 and game 4 in 2013.