• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Billy Beane is perfect

Well from what I recall the Braves typically cruised into the playoffs with a 5-10 game lead to take their division. In the West there's typically some kind of race until the end, so it's not like the A's are making it in without having to battle for the spot. It's a bit more competitive in the West, you've got to earn your way there.

and yet the Ath's can't win in the playoffs

and yet the Ath's can't win in the playoffs

Yeah.

That's what I said was confusing.

Either they don't apply what they use to win during the season once the playoffs come around, or what they do during the season doesn't work in the playoffs. Add the fact they have to battle to get there and you'd just think being there 50% of the time the past 14 years would eventually get them in a position to win the World Series.

A team with the fourth lowest payroll is 63-38. They're on their way to the seventh division title in the Beane era (or at worst a wild card spot), which have all come with a low payroll. In 14 seasons they've never lost more than 88 games, have won 90 eight times and won more than 100 twice. But yeah, Beane sucks...clearly.

Some people here sound like the ugly girl in the corner of the dance, criticizing what the really pretty girl wore to make themselves feel better about their own issues.

Don't know how accurate this is, but one reason making the rounds for the A's lack of post-season success since 2000 is that because they've generally been big on plate patience since 2000, as they face post-season teams with better pitching staffs having better control, they can't wait out pitchers like they can vs. the staffs that have less control artists on them during the season. 

Stradling, I think Beane is an excellent GM but I don't think he's perfect. But tell me, who is a better GM?

As for the Callaspo-Green trade, people talk about it like it was a steal and it hopefully will turn out to be. But so far isn't exactly killing it with his .721 OPS and poor defense as an Angel. And, at 26 years old, he isn't quite a spring chicken any more. Again, this could turn out really good but we haven't seen it yet.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/billion-dollar-billy-beane/

Pretty timely article...  Also, I bet more than a few people here will be surprised to see how the Angels graded out.

Uh, those charts are 2000 to the present. We all know the Angels did well from 2002-09, but what about the last five years? How would they grade out from 2010 to the present? Not quite as well, I imagine.

To me as a fan, sure playoff wins and championships are nice.  I just care more about fielding an entertaining, competitive team. 

after the sheer joy of '02, i'd like a LOT more championships. one just isn't enough. not sure why any fans would feel differently about this issue.

A team with the fourth lowest payroll is 63-38. They're on their way to the seventh division title in the Beane era (or at worst a wild card spot), which have all come with a low payroll. In 14 seasons they've never lost more than 88 games, have won 90 eight times and won more than 100 twice. But yeah, Beane sucks...clearly.

Some people here sound like the ugly girl in the corner of the dance, criticizing what the really pretty girl wore to make themselves feel better about their own issues.

how come they don't win in the post season? their playoff success in these last 14 seasons is less than impressive.

Edited by Tank

Beane had the luxury of punting away half a decade to get to this point so the payroll this year doesn't really tell the full story. Of course, he obviously did a better job than teams like Kansas City and Pittsburgh who punted away a quarter century so there's that. The trade with the Cubs seems to signal that they want to take this core and finally go for broke. I still think we'll beat them but then I'm not one to run scared from what looks like a lost cause.