• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Scioscia is Foolish for Platooning Calhoun and Cowgill

ABC

Can you stop saying that? It's not accurate. Cowgill isn't playing well and that is why this platoon is silly. He is hitting .239/.278/.380/.659 for over a month now. His hot streak has run out and it's silly playing him over Calhoun believing it will come back.

According to baseball reference, he is hitting .270/.289/.432/.722 over the last 28 days...Not great, but just thought I would clarify.  I think they should stick with what is working for now.  Eventually Kole should be getting more ABs because he will only get better against lefties if he is given the chance (plus the sample size is quite small right now).  But with the starting pitching struggling and the offense rolling, why change a good thing?

According to baseball reference, he is hitting .270/.289/.432/.722 over the last 28 days...Not great, but just thought I would clarify.  I think they should stick with what is working for now.  Eventually Kole should be getting more ABs because he will only get better against lefties if he is given the chance (plus the sample size is quite small right now).  But with the starting pitching struggling and the offense rolling, why change a good thing?

That's only 38 PA's. What I posted was his last 97 PA's. Much bigger sample size

Can someone at least give me an estimate as to when someone will tell Storm to put the quote before the response? I'd like to know when I can resume reading threads without wanting to punch a baby.

It must be the browser he's using. Opera, for one, puts the response above the quote. I was using that for awhile and couldn't figure out how to change it.

That's only 38 PA's. What I posted was his last 97 PA's. Much bigger sample size

Oh ok, so much more then just the last month. That kind of buries the fact that he has done better than those stats show recently, which I thought was the point of the discussion.  Although to then counter what I just said, he is hitting .176 in his last 5 games.  Where did you get the stats for his last 97 PA?  Just curious.  Did you have to calculate it yourself?

Edited by AngelsFanSince86

Oh ok, so much more then just the last month. That kind of buries the fact that he has done better than those stats show recently, which I thought was the point of the discussion.  Although to then counter what I just said, he is hitting .176 in his last 5 games.  Where did you get the stats for his last 97 PA?  Just curious.  Did you have to calculate it yourself?

I said that those were his numbers for over a month now. Those stats are from May 16 until present and I got them from baseball reference. Just go to the game logs and highlight any span of games and it show the stats.

My point is that he is a career .664 hitter and that's what he has been hitting since May 16. He had a hot streak to start the season which inflated his season numbers and the Angels rode it but now he is back to his old self and there is no reason to believe he will start hitting .321/ .421/ .444/ .865 as he did his first 97 PA's. So it's time to let it go and use him as he should be used, a 4th OF, ocassional start and defensive replacement

Edited by tennischmp

I said that those were his numbers for over a month now. Those stats are from May 16 until present and I got them from baseball reference. Just go to the game logs and highlight any span of games and it show the stats.

Yeah I see that now.   And thanks, I definitely did not know you could do that.  Will be very helpful in the future.

What's frustrating for me about this platoon is that in the past we've seen Scioscia go with platoons that were, in both foresight and hindsight, at the very least questionable.  This looks like an addict hitting the pipe again, but saying they've tapered off so it isn't as bad.  

To me there's no defensible reason to not have Calhoun getting the majority (as in at least 80%) of the starts.  Sitting him against lefties creates a self-fulfilling prophecy; he'll never prove he can hit lefties if he never gets the chance to hit against them.

What's frustrating for me about this platoon is that in the past we've seen Scioscia go with platoons that were, in both foresight and hindsight, at the very least questionable.  This looks like an addict hitting the pipe again, but saying they've tapered off so it isn't as bad.  

To me there's no defensible reason to not have Calhoun getting the majority (as in at least 80%) of the starts.  Sitting him against lefties creates a self-fulfilling prophecy; he'll never prove he can hit lefties if he never gets the chance to hit against them.

Exactly. 

2014: 

250 .262 .425 .687

2013:

.340 .389 .500 .889

So you are against the platoon then

I don't care about the platoon at all at this point in the season. It means nothing to me. Start him, bench him, do whatever you want with him. It wasn't costing the team wins, it was allowing both players to remain fresh and lessening a chance of injury and it was having little to no affect on either player's performance.

This whole notion that you have to be either for or against it is just silly.

I don't care about the platoon at all at this point in the season. It means nothing to me. Start him, bench him, do whatever you want with him. It wasn't costing the team wins, it was allowing both players to remain fresh and lessening a chance of injury and it was having little to no affect on either player's performance.

This whole notion that you have to be either for or against it is just silly.

I don't think anyone disagrees that getting Cowgill some AB's is necessary. But this thread is about a platoon so I think it's appropriate to have a view point on that.

Edited by tennischmp