• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Scioscia is Foolish for Platooning Calhoun and Cowgill

ABC

The point of his post was very obvious.

You still missed it

No, I didn't miss it. If Sosh benched Trout for two weeks, there would be an argument, regardless of record. Calhoun is not Trout. Also, Calhoun is not being benched for 2 weeks. It was a terrible argument.

Edited by xboom28x

No, I didn't miss it. If Sosh benched Trout for two weeks, there would be an argument, regardless of record. Calhoun is not Trout. Also, Calhoun is not being benched for 2 weeks. It was a terrible argument.

He's not comparing Calhoun to Trout though. He's pointing out how stupid Storm's argument (that winning should absolve Scioscia of criticism for playing an inferior player). It's a dumb argument. I want the best 9 players out there whether we're winning or losing

Why is it when the Angels are on a roll people still think that rolling out complaints about the lineup card is relevant?

Because Scioscia likes to platoon a guy who's batting .400 over the past month with another guy who simply happens to bat right-handed.

It's worth complaining about.

He's not comparing Calhoun to Trout though. He's pointing out how stupid Storm's argument (that winning should absolve Scioscia of criticism for playing an inferior player). It's a dumb argument. I want the best 9 players out there whether we're winning or losing

You want to play every game as if it's game 7 of the WS. It is not. It's a 162 game season plus (hopefully) playoffs.

You want to play every game as if it's game 7 of the WS. It is not. It's a 162 game season plus (hopefully) playoffs.

Wanting the better player to play more often is "wanting to play every game as if it's Game 7 of the WS"?

No one is saying Cowgill should NEVER start. Bench guys are going to get starts, and Cowgill is performing well.

The gripe is that Scioscia has deemed that Cowgill has to start over Calhoun against Every. Single. Lefty.

But each win matters equally in the end. Do you want a guy who's sizzling hot (best average in baseball over the past month) to sit in favor of someone who has a much higher probability at the moment of going 0-4? I don't want that. I want a guy in there who easily could go 3-3 with a home run. That's the Calhoun we're seeing right now. He won't do that every night, but come on, he's on a roll here. You don't cool that hot streak down on the bench if you're a smart manager.

This left/righty thing is nonsense much of the time. We've got a manager who has trouble thinking outside the "matchup" box.

Wanting the better player to play more often is "wanting to play every game as if it's Game 7 of the WS"?

No one is saying Cowgill should NEVER start. Bench guys are going to get starts, and Cowgill is performing well.

The gripe is that Scioscia has deemed that Cowgill has to start over Calhoun against Every. Single. Lefty.

It's obsessional thinking that has nothing to do with good baseball strategy.

My post was addressing his nonsensical rant about fantasy teams. For the record, I was on the same side of the argument as you.

You should probably look into dyslexia and whether you might have it.

Maybe you should look up the term dyslexia. You obviously have no idea what it means.

Calhoun is hitting .402 in the last month, that is number 1 in the majors. Just throwing it out there.

Don't know where you are getting your numbers but in June he hit .346 which puts him 2nd behind Trout that hit .361.

As for the Kole hits left handers just fine crowd, his slash line vs lefties this season is .250/.262/425/.687 while Cowgil is hitting .308/.364/.473/.836.

And to add to conversation do you guys really think Scioscia is making up these lineup cards himself with no input from Francona that they hired to work in the advance scouting department, pulling analytical data and feeding it to Mike Scioscia and the Angels’ coaches? You all act like Mike works in a complete vacuum with no outside information getting to him and he just pencils in names at a whim.

This is why I say, you guys are following a OP that has presented zero substance and are following blindly adding the same amount of thought into what goes on before the lineup card is issued as the guy liking his own posts.

Holy mother of all sample-sizes, Batman.

I thought the whole point of using advanced stats was to ferret out trends and make adjustments? So far this season Calhoun has not been hitting left handers well regardless of sample size. Cowgil has almost the exact same slash line vs right handed pitchers in about the same amount of plate appearences. Guess what? Scioscia doesn't start him against right handers. Holy mother of equalizers.