• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

so how did the angels do in the draft?

NrM

We won't know a lot about the rest of their draft for a while, but their first three picks look outstanding right now.  Newcomb is a big lefty, mid-rotation type, probably begins next year in AA and is ready for the majors in 2016, which is right on time because I believe Weaver and Wilson have their contracts end in 2017.

Joey Gatto has the stuff to go in the first round, and according to how much they paid him over slot, the Angels believe that if he re-entered the draft in 2 years after some collegiate coaching, he'd likely go in the first round and cost a lot more money. 

Their third round pick Chris Ellis is the wild card here.  He doesn't have the polish you see from most collegiate pitchers, but in terms of arsenal, rarely will you find a college pitcher in the 3rd round that can match his stuff.  Low to mid-90's fastball with movement, good slider and a very good feel for the change up.  He's a little similar to Richards when he was drafted, good frame and pitches to work with but sorely in need of proper instruction.  

If everything works out right, they should have three mid-rotation type of arms.  At worst you have an end of the rotation arm, minor leaguer and a bullpen piece.  Happy middle ground is likely a mid-rotation lefty, back of the rotation righty and a bullpen piece.  

We can say this for sure though, the Angels organizational pitching depth looks a lot better right now than it did 2 weeks ago. 

We'll let you know in about 5 years

I have never understood the concept of rating a draft immediately after it ends, especially in baseball, where the bulk of the players start in the minors and try to work their way up. Most of these guys will never put on a major league uniform, and the ones who do will tell the story of how good any team's draft is.

Mark Appel says hello.

the rest of the space time continuum says hello. he'll sign. appel was expected to be the number #1 overall pick in 2012 and dropped to #8. he held out and then went first overall the next year. not even close to newcomb's situation.

the rest of the space time continuum says hello. he'll sign. appel was expected to be the number #1 overall pick in 2012 and dropped to #8. he held out and then went first overall the next year. not even close to newcomb's situation.

I generally agree with your original point, and odds are Newcomb signs. But it wouldn't shock me if he didn't. If he is very confident in his ability to replicate his success, he may believe he can increase his draft spot and his signing bonus, while also obtaining his degree, by not signing.

And although I haven't done the research, my guess is there are plenty of other comps besides just Appel. What about Luke Hochevar?