• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Hit and Run

So I am coming back from lunch, stop at the local gas station for some gas and attempted to cross Olympic Blvd. Traffic was stopped for the light but people were nice enough to leave a lane to exit the station and cross traffic to go the other direction.

All except one.

She decided she didn't want to wait for traffic and barreled down the center divider and smacked into my SLK just as I entered the lane. She never even hit the brakes because if she had we never would have collided.

So I get out of the car, take a picture of my car's damage and take a picture of her Lexus SUV license plate. We discuss where to meet to exchange insurance and she points to the Ralphs, which makes sense because we wouldn't have to pay for parking. I am face the opposite direction so I have to take the long way around, turn right a couple of times with the fender scraping the hell out of my front left tire.

Of course she just drove away. So I call 911 and am instructed to call 311 since there was no gunshot wounds and after twenty minutes on the line I flag down a Parking police car and ask if she can phone in a hit and run. She calls in and they tell her unless there is an injury no one is coming out to file the report.

So my Mercedes is pretty much toast. I took a tire iron to the fender to bend it out enough to drive it back to the parking garage where it will sit until I can get the insurance company to agree upon the body shop. In the meantime I am out of a car and have to file a Hit and Run report and drive probably a Kia Rio since that is what the insurance company is going to authorize.

At least I got a perfectly clean picture of her license plate.

I can't wait to fill out the report.

Officer: Make of car and driver that hit you.

Me: Lexus SUV, female, blond about 40 years old.

Officer: (stares blankly)

Officer: Ok, you just described the residents of the city of Santa Monica.

Me: She didn't have a Hermes Birken purse?

Officer: Now we are getting somewhere.

first and foremost, it's good to hear that you're okay.

secondly, i'm really surprised they wouldn't come out for a hit and run. that's a felony, isn't it? are our police no longer coming out for some felonies? man, i hope your insurance company is able to track her down and nail her.

I live next to Olympic.  I'll scour the neighborhood for the description.   

Oh you have the license plate?  Can't you get the details at the DMV?  Or was that only in Gone in 60 seconds?  

Anyways, good luck.  

On a side note.  I love how car dealerships, oil companies, gas companies, etc always refer to your car as an investment.  Investments usually appreciate in value, and Cars are definitely one that appreciates.

From what you described it sounds like you were at fault for the accident. She may let you in if she'd like but that's at her discretion. I could be wrong though. That's terrible that she fled though, and even worse that the cops were no help.

You can't use the center divider lane to travel in. She was not attempting a turn, she was using it to avoid traffic. Also she fled the scene so now it is a felony hit and run. Finished the paperwork over at the LAPD a couple hours ago. The desk officer was pretty amused that the traffic cop told me they wouldn't respond to a hit and run unless there was an injury. He said they don't know policy and left it at that.

Glad you are ok, that is BS that the cops didn't handle it.  I vote to go the Reddit route.

Not quite the same experience but I was riding with a friend in stop and go traffic on the 134 east and we hit one of those spots where it speeds up to 30 and then comes to a pretty quick stop.  After a few seconds of being completely stopped we got smashed into by a 70's era Cadillac, it knocked us into the car in front of us.  We were in the right lane, the guy that smashed into us managed to drive down the shoulder and get off the freeway and take off.  We called the cops, since there were no major injuries they told us to get off the freeway and call them back.

We were by the LA Zoo so we got off the freeway and wen't and parked in the zoo parking lot and called them back.  Almost three hours later a CHP officer finally came and took our report and the other car's report, we had to keep convincing the other guy to stay, he barely had a scratch on his back bumper but we needed him as a witness.

Anyway when the officer got there he said we should have stayed on the freeway, they treat those as urgent.  Once you are off they pretty much ignore you.

So a couple of 98 degree days in a row and there is not a single car available to rent this morning in the San Gabriel valley. I am on three rental car waiting lists and was supposed to be at work in Santa Monica for a 10AM viewing. Yeah, good times.

You can't use the center divider lane to travel in. She was not attempting a turn, she was using it to avoid traffic. Also she fled the scene so now it is a felony hit and run. Finished the paperwork over at the LAPD a couple hours ago. The desk officer was pretty amused that the traffic cop told me they wouldn't respond to a hit and run unless there was an injury. He said they don't know policy and left it at that.

Eric is right, the center divider is a no no to for advancing your automobile.  

The added a rail system that doesn't go anywhere I need to be. There is a station half constructed next door to where I work but it won't open for at least a year and I would have to make three transfers to get to work. I will just wait out the car rental for now.

I met a girl in HS that had me on the bus from West Covina to Azusa and back everyday. Even that short trip was a pain in the ass. I doubt much has changed in the 35 years since then.

I saw something like this at the gas station the other day.  a couple of teenagers get in their black hyundai and the driver, of course trying to look cool, peeled out in reverse from the spot he was parked in....right into a honda parked behind him that he didn't see or just didn't give a f***.   of course he takes off immediately and goes speeding down the street and away from the scene.   I didn't get a look at his license plate, or I would have called the cops.    meanwhile the rest of us at the station pumping gas are just looking at each other dumbfounded, "did that really just happen?"  

the complete lack of regard was appalling

Edited by Hollyw00d

So a couple of 98 degree days in a row and there is not a single car available to rent this morning in the San Gabriel valley. I am on three rental car waiting lists and was supposed to be at work in Santa Monica for a 10AM viewing. Yeah, good times.

i'm really surprised stickboy didn't swing by and pick you up. i thought he was a better person than that.