• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Horse Racing

Is there a particular reason why the 3 triple crown races are within 5 weeks? Why not make each race 5 weeks apart? That way there are no claims of a tired horse in the last race.

Tradition.  In the early days, horses routinely ran every 2-3 weeks.

This is how often Seabiscuit ran.

Year Starts Firsts Seconds Thirds Earnings

1940 4 2 0 1 $96,850

1939 1 0 1 0 $400

1938 11 6 4 1 $130,395

1937 15 11 2 1 $168,580

1936 23 9 1 5 $28,995

1935 35 5 7 5 $12,510

1935 was his 3 year old season I believe.  Might have been his 2 year old season since he was born in 33.  But he ran 35 times.

You also have to remember.  The last triple crown winner was 1978.  Before that 1977.  Before that 1973.  And the one before that was 1948 with Citation.  This is how often Citation ran.

Year Starts Firsts Seconds Thirds Earnings

1951 7 3 1 2 $147,130

1950 9 2 7 0 $73,480

1948 20 19 1 0 $709,470

1947 9 8 1 0 $155,680

So Citation ran 20 times in his triple Crown year.  

1930-1948, there were 7 Triple Crown winners, 2 that missed the third leg of the belmont, and 4 others that won 2 of the three legs but lost either kentucky or preakness.  

But when you look at it.  Since 1978, so in 36 years.  13 horses lost the third leg at the belmont.  7 others lost a different leg.  

Edited by gotbeer

I am not a horse racing fan and i don't know the history but I am willing to guess that during those past Triple Crown winners there were more horses running all 3 races than there are today.

1973: 2 horses ran all races (Secretariat)

1977: 3 horses ran all races (Seattle Slew)

1978: 2 horses ran all races (Affirmed)

Coburn is just a sore loser.

I think that the mile & 1/2 has a lot to do with it. Mile & 1/2 is a European turf distance these days, not an American dirt distance.

Make all the races 1 1/16 or 1 1/4....

And set the point system so that horses have to qualify by earnings/wins before the derby to run in any of the TC races.

They don't have to run in every race, but they have to qualify before the derby to run in any of the 3 races. No supplemental entries.

That would thin the ranks for the Belmont (and there would still be 20 horses in the Derby, which is the real test IMO...the huge field to run through to get that one) None of the recent Triple Crown winners faced more than 7 foes in the Belmont.

It's too bad that Coburn had to rant like that. He didn't do himself proud there. But here is a guy that has never, and will never again be a national focus, and he just had his heart ripped out, and as usual they are sticking microphones in his face wanting to know how he "feels" and he let loose.

BUT, maybe it will lead to a tweaking of the sequence.

It's been tweaked before. The Preakness has been at 5 or 6 different distances over the years, and the Belmont has been at 3.

Time also to bring back the 1 million bonus that was around for a while. To earn it you had to run all 3 races.

1973: 2 horses ran all races (Secretariat)

1977: 3 horses ran all races (Seattle Slew)

1978: 2 horses ran all races (Affirmed)

Coburn is just a sore loser.

None of those horses faced the numbers, or the quality, of horses in the Belmont. Affirmed had Alydar to contend with, and they had battled that entire year, but other than that the quality those horses had to face wasn't exactly top notch, and none of them had more than 7 foes by the time the Belmont came around.

In Coburn's defense...he isn't a multi-millionaire trainer, like a Baffert, who is used to losing big races and knows he will have others.

Coburn is just a regular guy who isn't slick and polished for the media.

Give me a Steve Coburn type any day over the slick corporate type trainers/owners.

Also...Corburn had too much of an audience anyhow. Usually it's the trainer who is more of a focus and the owners are much more in the background.

Edited by Homebrewer

The attention was great for racing, even without a TC winner. The card they put together in NY was awesome.

The handle for the Belmont S. alone was over 90 million. There were over 100,000 at the freakin track!

The TV numbers will set a record when they come in.

http://www.drf.com/news/belmont-handle-smashes-records

I think this is more of the reason why Chrome didn't win, as opposed to any new shooters.

California Chrome gashes foot during Belmont Stakes

I had heard last night that he might have caught a quarter at the start. To us humans that is like ripping off your big toenail and then trying to run a mile and a half on it. I have yet to read your article...going to it right now..

Yep. They don't go into any detail there, but I know that happens when a horse catches the back of his front hoof with the shoe of his

rear. That could explain a lot.

Well, barring any unforeseen circumstances. we will see Chrome in the Pacific at Del Mar, and/or the  Breeders Cup Classic in the fall.

Maybe we will get a decent price on him, too!

Edited by Homebrewer

Also Beer...

My hunch horse ran pretty well in the Met!  Almost took it, and would have had they kept Malice pinned on the rail for just one more stride. Best horse won, but as we horseplayers know, that is seldom the case.

Yeah, that was one of the few wins I had on the day, since I did an exacta, malice with golden.  

Article on the quarter, from DRF. They say Matterhorn stepped on him.

California Chrome grabbed quarter during Belmont

http://www.drf.com/news/california-chrome-grabbed-quarter-during-belmont

Sad thing is, if Colburn shut his trap.  This would be the story, and instead it would be a legitimate excuse as to why Chrome lost.  

Istead it's all about Colburn, and tarnishing Chrome's legacy.

Sad thing is, if Colburn shut his trap.  This would be the story, and instead it would be a legitimate excuse as to why Chrome lost.  

Istead it's all about Colburn, and tarnishing Chrome's legacy.....

Yeah...Sherman was all class and maybe he should have better prepped Coburn for the possibility of it not happening.

Not often, hell, I have never seen an owner get all the publicity that he got the last 5 weeks...(Maybe Jerry Moss with Zenny)

and anyhow, if Coburn was the shy retiring quiet type he would never have had that kind of spotlight. My guess is that Art had no control of a loose cannon, and knew he wasn't going to get any, so he didn't even try. Did notice he was pretty distant from Coburn and all the hoop-la, especially yesterday.

Tell ya what...next time I drive through the central valley, (which I do often) I'm going to plan a stop in Coalinga and try to find Harris Farms. See if I can't get my picture taken with CC and put it in the frame with my tote ticket.

None of those horses faced the numbers, or the quality, of horses in the Belmont. Affirmed had Alydar to contend with, and they had battled that entire year, but other than that the quality those horses had to face wasn't exactly top notch, and none of them had more than 7 foes by the time the Belmont came around.

That too. While the horses that run all 3 races stays the same, weren't there like 6 horses total running the Belmont back in the 70s. Way more fresh horses now in the Belmont.

A sensible solution..

Changing the dates, not the rules, is the way to fix horse racing's Triple Crown

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/changing-the-dates--not-the-rules--is-the-best-way-to-fix-horse-racing-s-triple-crown-210620100.html

I would not put it past Stromach to move the Preakness to July 4th.  Since Churchill and the NYRA seems hesitant to move their dates.  

LOL...yeah. Who knows what that guy might do.

Another case for some kind of national racing board/commission. This TC sequence again proves that people WILL come out for horse racing if it is presented in a compelling fashion. Of the 75,000 first timers that were in Elmont yesterday, there will be a lot of returners coming out for regular race days because of the experience. Ya gotta give them good cards and stuff to do to make it worthwhile. I am all about keeping the sport from dying any further than it already has.

I think a triple crown should be extremely difficult to accomplish. I like how it is. Takes a beast to pull it off. When one finally does it he will deserve to be included in the same company as Secretariat, Seattle Slew, Affirmed, etc. Chrome is a very good horse but he just isn't legendary

So... looks like California Chrome was a beast after all. Huge gash in his foot out of the gate, poor trip, fanned 4-5 wide down the back stretch, took the lead (or just about) with an 1/8th to go and still finished 4th within a couple lengths of the winner. Tough break. 

What is important is that CC proved a Triple Crown is achievable. They shouldn't change anything. 

Steve Coburn, the co-owner of California Chrome today reined in his disappointment over losing the Belmont Stakes and the Triple Crown and said he was "very ashamed" and "was wrong" for his post-race rant.

http://gma.yahoo.com/california-chrome-co-owner-ashamed-angry-rant-belmont-134927179--abc-news-tv.html?vp=1

I think the owners are going to be disappointed with CC's ultimate value in the stud game, unless they can make a sale outright. That said, I think they should race him through his 4 year old campaign at least.

Would love to see this horse race in the Pacific Classic. 

I think the owners are going to be disappointed with CC's ultimate value in the stud game, unless they can make a sale outright. That said, I think they should race him through his 4 year old campaign at least.

Would love to see this horse race in the Pacific Classic. 

Sounds like they might hold him out until the Breeders Cup. He probably deserves the rest, and they have made quite a bit of money with him, so it isn't like he needs to race to earn his keep. He is still going to be a 3yo come breeders cup day so what do you do?

Give him a tune up or two in some lesser races, then what?

I think, and if it was me, I'd run him in the BC dirt mile this year, and the BC classic next year as a 4yo.

That's just my opinion, but it seems like a good way to milk the fame, and the talent, and extend the career.

I don't see them selling him for stud like a Fusiachi Pegasus type horse.

I think they will keep him and love and baby him...so that type route kinda makes sense.

Sounds like they might hold him out until the Breeders Cup. He probably deserves the rest, and they have made quite a bit of money with him, so it isn't like he needs to race to earn his keep. He is still going to be a 3yo come breeders cup day so what do you do?

Give him a tune up or two in some lesser races, then what?

I think, and if it was me, I'd run him in the BC dirt mile this year, and the BC classic next year as a 4yo.

That's just my opinion, but it seems like a good way to milk the fame, and the talent, and extend the career.

I don't see them selling him for stud like a Fusiachi Pegasus type horse.

I think they will keep him and love and baby him...so that type route kinda makes sense.

I think it would be great for the sport to have a great horse have a long career. I'd love him to run for a few years.

• 2 weeks later...