• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Hector Santiago has been just OK

This is why we miss Joe Madden. He was all over these situational stats when with the Angels and had Scioscia's ear.

even with that being a very small sample, Conger as Hector's catcher just makes sense.  Hector nibbles a bit and Conger is a better framer.  Also, in every start that Hector has had with Chris there have been several pitches in key situations where it just seemed like the wrong one to ask Hector to throw.  Not that it wouldn't have worked out if the pitch was executed properly, but the catcher very much has to know what their pitcher is capable of in key situations.  I don't really feel like Iannetta is very good at that in general with any of our pitchers but with Hector it's key because of him getting in constant trouble. 

That said, I'm a Matt Shoemaker be liver for the rotation. If he's our 5th guy he'll give us quality innings. His command is good and his cutter/split can generate whiffs.

Give Santiago till mid-May, early June. If it's not happening, move Santiago to the back end of our bullpen.

We didn't lose the game because of Santiago or our bullpen. We lost the game because we didn't capitalize offensively against mediocre starting pitching and a Yankees bullpen that's ranked lower than ours today.

...and Santiago pitching like crap and not making it out of the 5th didn't help either.

Edited by jshep

That said, I'm a Matt Shoemaker be liver for the rotation. If he's our 5th guy he'll give us quality innings. His command is good and his cutter/split can generate whiffs.

Give Santiago till mid-May, early June. If it's not happening, move Santiago to the back end of our bullpen.

We didn't lose the game because of Santiago or our bullpen. We lost the game because we didn't capitalize offensively against mediocre starting pitching and a Yankees bullpen that's ranked lower than ours today.

I feel like Shoemaker would be a nice fit as a #5, but I still feel like Hector has the better stuff and is still developing.  Shoemaker would be the guys that does well for a few starts and then has a couple where he gives up 7 runs in 2.1ip.  For now, I like giving Santiago an entire year before moving him out of the rotation unless he completely unravels. 

He allows way too many walks (and subsequently baserunners) for him to be successful on a consistent basis. He's also an extreme flyball pitcher which can be problematic when he pitches in hitters' parks.

He seems like a good dude off the field so I'll be rooting for him to make it as a starter..but the indicators aren't good. He would probably be better off as a bullpen arm and swingman.

It's been four starts, we should give up totally on our unproven #5 starter.

****'s sake, people. Give him some time to develop or not develop.

This^

According to AW, Richards will win the cy young and Santiago is Blanton 2.0 after four weeks into the season.

Edited by SoWhat

Before Trumbo was traded, I thought the angels would only be able to get a 4th or 5th starter.

Instead they got a 4th or 5th starter along with a guy who has the potential to be a number 2.

Plus, I think Santiago still has some upside potential to be a number 3.

Edited by Poozy

Santiago hasn't been very good but he also hasn't been terrible. I can live with him as the #5 guy although I would like him to pitch a little deeper into games.

It's also worth noting that his fastball velocity is down from 91.8 to 91.2 this season. Pretty size able difference so I'm hoping he sees a little uptick.

Santi's a breath of fresh air. He's better than Hanson and Blanton, and is likely equal to or a slight step above Vargas across a full year. The difference is Vargas is 31 and would've cost 8 million a year, Santi's 26 and plays for the league minimum. Not to mention he's a great clubhouse and community guy.

Santi's a breath of fresh air. He's better than Hanson and Blanton, and is likely equal to or a slight step above Vargas across a full year. The difference is Vargas is 31 and would've cost 8 million a year, Santi's 26 and plays for the league minimum. Not to mention he's a great clubhouse and community guy.

Agreed.

Nickname that works: Weav for Weaver.

Nicknames that don't work: Richie for Richards, Skaggie, Aggie or Ska for Skaggs, Willie for Wilson and Santi for Santiago.

I think we should call him Code Red.