• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

If you could only fire one person . . .

I actually don't put Pujols or Hamilton on Dipoto. But I will say that there appears to be a clear philosophy about the pen to piecemeal and makeshift the crap out of it and hope for the best. I am not saying he should have traded the farm away for pen parts, but the pen was replacement level last year and the year before. But how do you add Salas and Smith and call it a day after last years debacle. The Burnett injury is unfortunate, but if you are coming into this season expecting him to be there then shame on him.

They needed a closer to move Frieri down. They needed Joe Smith. And they needed one more solid arm like a Krod or like.

I gave him the benefit of the doubt that Salas was going to return to 2011 form and Jepsen was going to figure it out with his new arm angle, but I didn't see these guys pitch in winter ball and spring. They did. And now it's April 16th and we are already to Yoslan Herrera.

Maybe Herrera works out. Maybe Lyon or Rasmus or a couple of the young guys do instead. But we are back to tryouts in April and May when we should be winning games. The pen has probably cost us as least three wins so far. They are 6-8 with the pen being a disaster and not hitting with RISP. How would you feel if they were 9-5 instead?

Meh, what's 3 or 4 Wins a month?

I have my issues with how Scioscia manages. That said, it seems like he has been flexible and incorporated more data into his decision making process and made a few changes to his managerial approach.

I honestly don't see how firing him is in the club's best interests.

Too many here are doing their best Steinbrenner impression. No thank you.

This club is still facing the music resulting from Reagins destruction of the farm system in a desperate attempt to win now in 2010 and 2011. The owner compounded the problem by signing Pujols after 2011 to that wretched contract.

It will take time to build up the system to have a sustainable bench of cheap assets (prospects). It seems like the owner is finally on board with this more rational and evidence-based approach.

Except for the fact that all their players are old. They need to win now or rebuild.

They're basically the phillies of the AL.

Dipoto is at fault here IMO. Seems like a knowledgeable guy, especially compared to Reagins, but his moves haven't worked out. His inability to address the bullpen has been awful too.

This team needed someone like Balfour or Benoit as well as a guy like K-Rod. Imagine this bullpen instead:

CL: Balfour

SU: Smith

SU: Frieri

MID: K-Rod

MID: Dane

MID: Kohn

That's a pretty damn solid pen. All it would've cost was about 7 million, which is nothing considering our payroll and how bad our bullpen has been. 

Dipoto is at fault here IMO. Seems like a knowledgeable guy, especially compared to Reagins, but his moves haven't worked out. His inability to address the bullpen has been awful too.

This team needed someone like Balfour or Benoit as well as a guy like K-Rod. Imagine this bullpen instead:

CL: Balfour

SU: Smith

SU: Frieri

MID: K-Rod

MID: Dane

MID: Kohn

That's a pretty damn solid pen. All it would've cost was about 7 million, which is nothing considering our payroll and how bad our bullpen has been. 

Not sure if they were willing to go over the luxury tax though. Especially when they have zero payroll flexibility in the next 3 years.

That's not the point. New blood is needed and some blood needs to be sacrificed soon. More blood than just a few minor coaches like last off season.

I'm not saying it is all Scioscia's fault this year because this team just flat out sucks, but someone needs to fire an opening shot.

I would fire Scioscia, Butcher, and Dipoto. Clean house completely and let the players know they are responsible for it.

So the players aren't responsible now, but if the team institutes these new positions then they will be?

In dipotos defense Doc (and I agree with you), burnett should have been a big part of the pen. And to be fair, I dont think anyone could have seen pujols' sudden drop off, or hamiltons 2013.

Again, I agree dipoto has to answer for this. But, some of his less questionable moves have been horrible luck

He signed two pitchers who weren't able to throw on the HOPES their recovery would go perfectly.   Luck is sometimes the residue of design.  Dipoto's bullpens fall into the bad design category.

None of this is being discussed if Hamilton didn't do something incredibly dumb. We lost two games to the A's because we are getting next to nothing from too many players in the lineup, and because the bullpen sucks. But don't you feel that replacing Ibanez's 0-for-5s with Hamilton's 2-for-5s with extra base hits would be the difference these last two nights?

None of this is being discussed if Hamilton didn't do something incredibly dumb. We lost two games to the A's because we are getting next to nothing from too many players in the lineup, and because the bullpen sucks. But don't you feel that replacing Ibanez's 0-for-5s with Hamilton's 2-for-5s with extra base hits would be the difference these last two nights?

No, the last two losses are clearly on the pen. 

I actually don't put Pujols or Hamilton on Dipoto.  But I will say that there appears to be a clear philosophy about the pen to piecemeal and makeshift the crap out of it and hope for the best.  I am not saying he should have traded the farm away for pen parts, but the pen was replacement level last year and the year before.  But how do you add Salas and Smith and call it a day after last years debacle.  The Burnett injury is unfortunate, but if you are coming into this season expecting him to be there then shame on him. 

They needed a closer to move Frieri down.  They needed Joe Smith.  And they needed one more solid arm like a Krod or like. 

I gave him the benefit of the doubt that Salas was going to return to 2011 form and Jepsen was going to figure it out with his new arm angle, but I didn't see these guys pitch in winter ball and spring.  They did.  And now it's April 16th and we are already to Yoslan Herrera. 

Maybe Herrera works out.  Maybe Lyon or Rasmus or a couple of the young guys do instead.  But we are back to tryouts in April and May when we should be winning games.  The pen has probably cost us as least three wins so far. They are 6-8 with the pen being a disaster and not hitting with RISP.  How would you feel if they were 9-5 instead?

For the record, the Pen has costs us four games.  Four times the pen has given up the game winning hit.

A little to early in the season to have these kind of conversations ... don't you think?

Great comeback last night to tie the game. Two tough losses in a row to a very good team.

Firing people this early in the season isn't the answer. I think this team is on the right track.

A's and the Rangers have showed some weakness thus far. Things can change fast in one week.

So the players aren't responsible now, but if the team institutes these new positions then they will be?

The players are responsible now as well, but it seems they know they have a long leash with Scioscia at the helm. There always appears to be zero accountability with this team. Guys know they will be penciled in each night and know they will continually be given chances to shit the bed out of the pen. 

I know this has been beat to death, but you can't fire all of the players. If I am the front office, I fire Scioscia and Butcher at the end of April if things persist. See if this lights a fire under these guys' asses and see if they play better. If we miss the postseason, fire Dipoto. 

Maybe firing Scioscia will allow Dipoto to wake up and get rid of the garbage like Jepsen and Kohn in the bullpen without having to worry about Mikey getting upset with losing his boys. I still full well believe that Mike has a say in personnel moves because everything indicates Scioscia having his hand in it (veteran call-ups, same veterans night in and night out in the pen, etc.) I know some fan boy will come and say I have no proof, but it is pretty damning evidence in my opinion. I mean, Brennan Boesch for Christ's sake?

Not sure if they were willing to go over the luxury tax though. Especially when they have zero payroll flexibility in the next 3 years.

Balfour "failing" his physical with Baltimore was a key moment. It was by DiPoto could have signed Balfour for less than what he wanted. Instead Tampa jumped all over that and signed him to a team friendly deal.

We dropped the ball on Balfour

A little to early in the season to have these kind of conversations ... don't you think?

Great comeback last night to tie the game. Two tough losses in a row to a very good team.

Firing people this early in the season isn't the answer. I think this team is on the right track.

A's and the Rangers have showed some weakness thus far. Things can change fast in one week.

Like ettin, you nailed it. 

and like ettin, I feel weird agreeing with you and liking your post.

Scioscia.

This franchise needs a new image, or some kind of shot in the arm. I don't know if it's complacency, age, or drugs, but he's not the same manager he was 10 years ago. Very rare does he try to force the issue on the other team anymore and his handling of the staff is micromanaging mixed with roboticism. We need somebody new at the helm, somebody with a chip on his shoulder and a fire under his ass.

Most of the team of the past decade came from the minor league teams, but off hand I'd say

Torii Hunter

Nolan Ryan

CJ Wilson

Doug DeCinces

Bartolo Colon

Vlad Guererro

Brian Downing

Don Baylor

David Eckstein

Bob Boone

Scot Shields

Rod Carew

Bobby Grich

I took out all of the guys that were prior to the Scioscia era and Shields, who was drafted by the Angels. So here is the list:

Torii Hunter - Agree. He had some of his best years here. 

C.J. Wilson - Ehhhh. His better years have been with Texas in my opinion.

Bartolo Colon - He was actually not that good with the Angels besides his one fluke Cy Young year. 

Vlad Guerrero - Agree. Definitely had some of his best years here like Torii. 

David Eckstein - Agree. We were his first shot in the bigs though after not getting a chance anywhere else. 

Would love to get some more input. 

Edited by robblin17