• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

This should do it

nate

silly response, ALF. You have to see if there is anything salvageable. It is to the Angels gain if he turns the corner and his per diem isn't breaking the bank. So he pitches meaningless split squad games and they evaluate. At this point he should be considered a non roster invitee.

Of course, but if they seriously aren't counting on him then they need to be giving some looks to the guys they supposedly are counting on...

I'll call it right now

the depth isn't here yet. It's going to be arms that they poach from Colorado and Arizona near the end of spring

DiPoto has been doing this the past two seasons. At first it seemed out of necessity but now it might start to feel more like a strategy. These cast offs have universally failed this team.

They are paying him whether he suits up or sits home. If he proves he can pitch he sits in the bullpen, they have zero confidence in him starting. If he does this shit it is walking papers. The only ones counting on him to be on the starting roster is you guys.

You guys can scream depth all day but Blanton was not being counted on as that. He shit the bed so bad last season it looked like Bandini mountain. The Angels can drag any one of a dozen arms out if retirement to give the same "depth". A guy they won't let touch the mound unless it is a blowout.

then why give him starts in spring?  Why not treat him like the rest of the players in the pen.  If they didn't have any intention of having a look at him as starting depth, then what are they doing?  Their actions speak against what you are saying. 

and if they are relying on him for anything, then who are they relying on for depth?

our 'depth' made 61 starts last year.  Granted, that's almost impossible to overcome for any potentially playoff bound team, but the avg # of starts made by guys outside of your original top 5 for playoff teams in somewhere in the 20s.  On top of that, there are three guy on this team slated to start who have never spent an entire big league season as a starter. 

Frankly, I like Shoemaker and think his stuff will play in Anaheim.  It's still doesn't feel like enough to me. 

then why give him starts in spring?  Why not treat him like the rest of the players in the pen.  If they didn't have any intention of having a look at him as starting depth, then what are they doing?  Their actions speak against what you are saying. 

and if they are relying on him for anything, then who are they relying on for depth?

our 'depth' made 61 starts last year.  Granted, that's almost impossible to overcome for any potentially playoff bound team, but the avg # of starts made by guys outside of your original top 5 for playoff teams in somewhere in the 20s.  On top of that, there are three guy on this team slated to start who have never spent an entire big league season as a starter. 

Frankly, I like Shoemaker and think his stuff will play in Anaheim.  It's still doesn't feel like enough to me. 

Like Scioscia himself is fond of saying, a championship caliber club needs to be 8 or 9 deep in SP.  Doesn't have to be 8 or 9 studs, just guys you can reasonably depend on for consistently decent starts.  I'd say the Angels have barely 6 right now. I like Shoemaker, he's just completely untested.

Like Scioscia himself is fond of saying, a championship caliber club needs to be 8 or 9 deep in SP.  Doesn't have to be 8 or 9 studs, just guys you can reasonably depend on for consistently decent starts.  I'd say the Angels have barely 6 right now. I like Shoemaker, he's just completely untested.

I think we are 4 deep. 

then why give him starts in spring? Why not treat him like the rest of the players in the pen. If they didn't have any intention of having a look at him as starting depth, then what are they doing? Their actions speak against what you are saying.

our 'depth' made 61 starts last year. Granted, that's almost impossible to overcome for any potentially playoff bound team, but the avg # of starts made by guys outside of your original top 5 for playoff teams in somewhere in the 20s. On top of that, there are three guy on this team slated to start who have never spent an entire big league season as a starter.

Frankly, I like Shoemaker and think his stuff will play in Anaheim. It's still doesn't feel like enough to me.

B squad game. How more irrelevant do you need? Also the starters are going 3-4 innings so it is not as though they are hogging the majority of innings pitched. He is being used properly right now and is not interfering with the pitching staff getting ready for the season.

Trying to find the silver lining (if there is one)

when the sun hits it just right, and it frequently does, there's always a silver lining around the ball as we watch yet another blanton home run make it's way over the fence.

There is no hurry. You guys are all about the sky falling and can't see it is another perfect day. Cheer up Eyores.

I don't see how even the most positive supporters of this team could deny this team has depth problems.

Also we could all go outside and enjoy how wonderful life is and how little this game effects it, but then this board would get shut down.

B squad game. How more irrelevant do you need? Also the starters are going 3-4 innings so it is not as though they are hogging the majority of innings pitched. He is being used properly right now and is not interfering with the pitching staff getting ready for the season.

I guess you are missing my point.  I don't really care about Blanton.  Let's assume for a second that I agree with you that they weren't counting on Blanton as depth.  

If that's the case, and major league teams need to be 7 deep with starters, who are they relying on?  When someone in the rotation can't go, who get's the ball?  Are you ok with having nothing after an untested Shoemaker? 

And I use When as opposed to if because it will happen. 

The Angels pitching staff was 30th out of 30 teams in team ERA, WHIP and BAA last spring so that's not really saying much.

His ERA was 2.37 which ranked him as the 14th best pitcher in Spring Training with a minimum of 18 innings.

But that is also one of the sticking points about how previous Spring trainings have been operated with both position players and starters putting in minimum amount of playing time to get ready for the season. There were 89 other pitchers that logged more innings than Blanton in Spring training. Only one on the Angels.

I guess you are missing my point.  I don't really care about Blanton.  Let's assume for a second that I agree with you that they weren't counting on Blanton as depth.  

If that's the case, and major league teams need to be 7 deep with starters, who are they relying on?  When someone in the rotation can't go, who get's the ball?  Are you ok with having nothing after an untested Shoemaker? 

And I use When as opposed to if because it will happen. 

I am ok with the process working itself out. If Blanton can't make the 25 man he isn't sticking around for the 40 man. At that point the Angels can add a player without having to release one or shuffle players into the 25 man that are not ready. You and others are demanding the Angels spend money before that ascertain if they need to, add someone to the 40 man roster which counts towards the cap.

Edited by Eric Notti

We've known since last season that pitching depth was one of our greatest weaknesses. Why this hasn't been addressed by the organization in regards to acquiring pitching depth this off-season is off setting to say the least. Its like they havent done anything.

Its hard to keep watching games where we have a lead until the 7th then can't hold it.

I also dont know a succesful organization that has basically an automtic losing pitcher every 5 days.