• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Cops are great

Adam

3 hours ago, mtangelsfan said:

Hopefully the SC overturns that this year.  They are hearing a case right now about civil forfeiture and will be ruling on it.

There are lots of good cops.  Also lots of really bad ones who willingly defy the laws on power trips.  Willingly.

And then there is a huge population in the middle.  I just want to note that there are massive numbers of cops who do not WILLINGLY and deliberately defy the laws, but are just ignorant to some really fairly simple things, like. . .

Department policy isn't law.

Standard procedures are not laws.

What they learn in field training to maximize their own safety is to get citizens to unknowingly give up their rights to increase their safety and make their job easier. . .is not law.

They get so used to this that they lose the ability to recognize that citizens who do not want to relinquish their rights are not guilty of breaking the law or "being difficult". . .

They think any order from them is lawful, and it is not.  They think you have to comply with all their orders and you don't.

They think since they learned it in formal training, the veteran cops do it, and most citizens fall for it, that YOU are breaking the law if you don't "cooperate and comply" with everything they bark at you.

We should all appreciate the good cops and obviously we need to find a way to get rid of the bad cops who willingly break the laws.

But the real challenge is to tackle this big problem on the middle where you have thousands of officers that need specific training on the differences between laws and field techniques with the goal of achieving a healthy balance between respecting people's rights and their personal safety.

If you politely ask me a question and acknowledge I dont have to answer, I will likely answer.  If you pretend it is a lawful command that I answer all your questions, I probably won't answer because they need to learn more about constitutional rights.

"As an officer of the law I am ordering you to have a seat for me on the curb for your safety and my safety."

Uh, no thank you.  I feel much safer standing and you are the guy with the gun.  Get over yourself and your power trip and treat me with respect!

People get arrested all the time not for breaking laws but for not complying with ridiculous unlawful orders from cops who then always throw this BS "obstruction if justice" nonsense at you or "disturbing the peace" or "not complying with officers orders" blah blah blah.

Thank God that nowadays there is video everyone's phones now so there is almost an unlimited number of examples to show this rampant problem .  The video helps the citizen get exonnerrated and the cop (and department) learns a lesson.

Some are good.  Some are flat out bad.  And some are themselves victims of ignorance on the law because their training is old school where they are taught to exploit peoples rights from a time when they were basically unaccountable when nobody had video phones and it was just their word against yours.

They need better training and it isn't going to happen unless the public collectively commits to and demands that it needs to be perfectly acceptable to retain all of your rights in your encounters with the police.

Edited by Dtwncbad

18 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

What law firm are you part of, dtwncbad? Before i comment any further, I just want to make sure that youre speaking as someone who has a pedigree in something related to criminal law, and search and seizure rulings.

He is expert emeritus on everything. 

18 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

What law firm are you part of, dtwncbad? Before i comment any further, I just want to make sure that youre speaking as someone who has a pedigree in something related to criminal law, and search and seizure rulings.

This is an extremely lazy and empty stance. . .to demand some sort of degree or certification to take someone's position seriously.  There are complete morons with law degrees and brilliant people that have no law degree.  There are philosophy phds that are dolts and 2nd grade education homeless people who would run circles are them.

Argue content, not degrees or certifications.

The bottom line, especially when it comes to YOUR rights, is every citizen needs to spend some time understanding the law.  If you don't care to learn a bit about your rights then you simply hand over your rights to people who care nothing about your rights.

I believe citizens digging in to understand their rights is far more important than even voting.  It's your obligation to yourself, your family, and future generations.

Everyone has rights, not just lawyers.  What good are they if you can't understand them and handle yourself in a way to retain them?

Get a lawyer to help you if you get into legal trouble, but you probably should know more than the basics if the constitution and the law on your own if you want to retain your freedoms.

17 minutes ago, Blarg said:

He is expert emeritus on everything. 

No Sir.  I am an expert in a couple of fields, but not a legal "expert."  However, I believe I understand my personal rights about at the minimum approximate level that every citizen should know their rights.  And sadly, that is much more than most people know their own personal rights.

I hate seeing people's rights trampled on by tyrants.

13 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

This is an extremely lazy and empty stance. . .to demand some sort of degree or certification to take someone's position seriously. 

Ten Ocho is a cop. You went all high and mighty in a subject matter he has much more knowledge of. But that's what you do.

7 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Ten Ocho is a cop. You went all high and mighty in a subject matter he has much more knowledge of. But that's what you do.

I didn't go high and mighty.  Not even a little.  That was just your emotional need to see it that way.

The entire point us to be responsible for knowing your rights and do not assume anyone else will do it for you, because they probably won't.

And dont now pivot into anything I said being anti-cop.  There is a shit load of great cops.

You can't assume all of your interactions will be with the great ones.

Ten Ocho, before the side heckler spins something out of nothing, let me be over the top clear.

There really us no job harder than being a cop.  I cant think of a person in our society that I respect more than a really good cop.

I have plenty of very close friends with between 15 and 30 years in law enforcement and one common acknowledgment from them is THEY can't rely on their own training to get it right.

They also tell me there is a fair amount of newer training that is entirely different from what they used to see that focuses on 1st, 4th, and 5th amendments.

Great cops are heroes and saints.

Bad cops (just like bad teachers, bad financial advisors, etc) are not and we do have to deal with it.

Edited by Dtwncbad

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

You are such a twat.

Such irony.  You have almost zero contribution to any thread other than to heckle, you are always the "high and mighty" critic, and yet you can't see what a "twat" that makes you.

I have yet to see you have the guts to stand up and discuss any complicated subject yourself rather than stand on the sideline and heckler as a sniper.

The pattern is beyond obvious.  So I am pretty comfortable at this point saying you are a coward.

I get it Blarg. You don't like me.  Smells like insecurity.

Insecure, sniper, heckler, coward.

Edited by Dtwncbad

3 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

Such irony.  You have almost zero contribution to any thread other than to heckle, you are always the "high and mighty" critic, and yet you can't see what a "twat" that makes you.

I have yet to see you have the guts to stand up and discuss any complicated subject yourself rather than stand on the sideline and heckler as a sniper.

The pattern is beyond obvious.  So I am pretty comfortable at this point saying you are a coward.

I get it Blarg. You don't like me.  Smells like insecurity.

Insecure, sniper, heckler, coward.

I've tried discussing topics with you but you're a twat so I gave up. 

You played the expert on everything Calhoun and got your ass handed to you six different ways by three different people that actually had the correct stats to back themselves up and yet still staunchly demanded others to buy your bullshit. 

Here you started off demanding respect for a weak ass made up opinion. Based on nothing more than, we have to respect your stance because actual credibility isnt necessary. Even when told the person you are berating is the subject itself, in the flesh with over a decade of service. 

But keep playing it like your winning. 

3 hours ago, Blarg said:

I've tried discussing topics with you but you're a twat so I gave up. 

You played the expert on everything Calhoun and got your ass handed to you six different ways by three different people that actually had the correct stats to back themselves up and yet still staunchly demanded others to buy your bullshit. 

Here you started off demanding respect for a weak ass made up opinion. Based on nothing more than, we have to respect your stance because actual credibility isnt necessary. Even when told the person you are berating is the subject itself, in the flesh with over a decade of service. 

But keep playing it like your winning. 

None of that happened.  You are a Facking moron. Hey not saying that's not what your moron brain heard, just saying it is almost sad how Facking needy you are to process things this way.  You are really useless on this board.

• 2 weeks later...