• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Report: Phillies turn unsigned draft pick in to NCAA for using an agent

jshep

So Reggie Bush didn't do anything wrong and USC shouldn't have been sanctioned?

Reggie Bush and his parents did break the NCAA rules on impermissible benefits.  USC football had no knowledge of those NCAA violations and was not involved in them.  The NCAA's corrupt investigators and infractions committee members lied, lied, lied to assure the Trojan football team was punished and then utilized that opening to put draconian sanctions in place.  If you had read anything on what the NCAA report said and what the recent ruling in the McNair case stated regarding the improper conduct by the NCAA in this matter, you would not be so glib in your comments.

Well, I am sure Oregon State would have appreciated them following those unwritten good old boys rules when the NCAA pulls a few scholarships.

Everyone should be playing by the same rules, the baseball squads, football, basketball, even Ralymo's Cal Rugby team that is obviously cheating with it's 25 National Championships. And that includes the agents and teams they negotiate with, everyone being up front and honest rather than back room deals that the only losers are the colleges.

The NCAA sets up the rules, just following them is the simplest thing for everyone, it only gets complicated when they are sidestepped. Common courtesy does not include lying and making under the table deals.

The NCAA rules basically force kids to negotiate without lawyers which is unethical and absurd. That's precisely why they're circumvented. 

Well, I am sure Oregon State would have appreciated them following those unwritten good old boys rules when the NCAA pulls a few scholarships.

Everyone should be playing by the same rules, the baseball squads, football, basketball, even Ralymo's Cal Rugby team that is obviously cheating with it's 25 National Championships. And that includes the agents and teams they negotiate with, everyone being up front and honest rather than back room deals that the only losers are the colleges.

The NCAA sets up the rules, just following them is the simplest thing for everyone, it only gets complicated when they are sidestepped. Common courtesy does not include lying and making under the table deals.

Well, the NCAA only goes after the players in these cases, the schools aren't damaged in any way.   They really should just make players have to declare.

The NCAA is also the entity that decided that baseball would play by different rules because like MLB, it's to their benefit.   BTW, if you want to be a stickler for rules, every player in the NCAA that ever ate free food at a school event would be deemed in volation of NCAA policy.  When push comes to shove -- the motivation behind this wasn't the Phillies' unwillingness to break the rules, it was vindictive BS.

BTW, I only mentioned the whole unwritten rules BS because the Phils went out of their way to defend their ace acting like a **** and throwing at Harper for no other reason other than he was a rookie.  Just pointing out their hypocrisy... I'm not one of those guys who thinks those "rules" mean much these days.

Edited by Inside Pitch

Did the Phillies turn in any of the players they did sign that used agents? No, of course not, because they signed. This has nothing to do with principle, morals, or NCAA rules, it's only about the Phillies deciding to get revenge on a player for not signing. .

If they signed them they would no longer be college eligible having chosen professional baseball over college.

No one actually thinks this is about the Phillies having a greater respect for the NCAA's rules than other teams do they?

This is the Phillies throwing a tantrum cause these kids bruised their egos somehow during negotiations.

Edited by jshep

So Reggie Bush didn't do anything wrong and USC shouldn't have been sanctioned?

this is just an uneducated thing to say. the only thing similar about these two stories are the words ncaa and agent. other than that, the facts are totally and completely unrelated. i'm so annoyed with our buzzword culture. it's like, why bother to understand the entire story, when i could just use a buzzword to equate one story to another unrelated story.

absolutely off point. why in god's name would there be a rule or an expectation that a very young man should negotiate a contract, that will cover a large sum of money and several years of his life, with lawyers for a multi-billion dollar company and not be allowed to have his own qualified representative?

if someone suggests using a representative other than a sports agent, then i would ask, who would provide better representation negotiating a sports contract than an agent? nobody. everybody else is under qualified.

Edited by ukyah

I find it completely unethical and disgusting that one can be denied a public school scholarship for seeking legal counsel.

I despise the NCAA more than the Wells trade.

One will never see me watching NCAA games or attending/supporting their "amateur" games based on a system that is the last vestiges of slavery in American society.

absolutely off point. why in god's name would there be a rule or an expectation that a very young man should negotiate a contract, that will cover a large sum of money and several years of his life, with lawyers for a multi-billion dollar company and not be allowed to have his own qualified representative?

if someone suggests using a representative other than a sports agent, then i would ask, who would provide better representation negotiating a sports contract than an agent? nobody. everybody else is under qualified.

This is because the NCAA is trying their absolute hardest to keep their talented kids in the NCAA. Whatever they can do to to improve their leverage they will do. These rules exist specifically to harm the kids who would consider leaving, and they are being exploited by professional teams who get turned down.

I find it completely unethical and disgusting that one can be denied a public school scholarship for seeking legal counsel.

One will never see me watching NCAA games or attending/supporting their "amateur" games based on a system that is the last vestiges of slavery in American society.

How long can this system really last? College sports bring in something similar to the amount the NFL and NBA bring in combined. You have players in these leagues making $20 million per year, yet if your coach buys you lunch in the NCAA you can be banned for life and have your professional prospects ruined. People can make arguments in support of the 'amateur' system but none of them pass the sniff test when you look at the way the NCAA really works. 

Eventually people will wise up and see through the charade the NCAA has presented us.

Great hyperbole. No one is forcing these kids to play college sports. I went to a division one school and didn't play sports.

Great hyperbole. No one is forcing these kids to play college sports. I went to a division one school and didn't play sports.

so, he technically forgot to preface the word scholarship with "sports" and you think that over rides his greater point? hardly meets the definition for hyperbole.

Well, the NCAA only goes after the players in these cases, the schools aren't damaged in any way.   They really should just make players have to declare.

That begs the question of what happens to high school players who are drafted all the time. If a high school kid declares, does he then forfeit any future chance to play NCAA baseball, even if he doesn't sign? It seems to me that there should be some sort of middle ground, in which a player can retain an agent, but as long as he doesn't take money from that agent his status is unaltered. In that case the agent knows that he will get paid if he negotiates a good enough deal. Of course, the NCAA is too busy trying to determine whether a kid took $10 in a beer league game so they can kick him out.

The NCAA really does suck. They will bust a kid for this, but there is a rule on the books that says that a player can be a professional in one sport but be eligible to play NCAA sports in another.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

Was your dream to become a professional player? Because if it is, the only road is through the NCAA. Not to mention a lot of these kids live impoverished lives and this is their only escape. The NCAA has found a way to take advantage of these kids.

Those kids can go to Europe like Brandon Jennings. If there was so much money to be made off of players not in the NBA and NFL then someone would start that league and make that money. For 99.99% of the the athletes the reason they draw so much attention is because of their association with the universities not the other way around. I could play QB for Ohio State for the next 4 years and they would still sell out every game.

Edited by eaterfan