• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

AngelsWin.com Today: Los Angeles Angels (2019) Top-30 Prospects

14 minutes ago, Lou said:

well done, Robert.

i'm going to save this so I'll have an idea of what the hell you guys are talking about when you mention a guy's name in the minor league thread. 

I added the URL to our Top Prospects menu item at the top, so it's always a click a away (or a few clicks on the mobile app). 

Screen Shot 2018-11-08 at 2.13.23 PM.png

Thanks, all.

Funny how I notice things now that it is published - little grammatical errors.

A point of clarification: this is NOT meant as a replacement to the scouting reports done by Scotty, Dave, etc. This is meant mostly to provide composite rankings, but also to offer a reference for those wanting a sense of how the various prospects did, what the Angels have, etc.

2nd really great piece of AW content in the last week or so.  Great job guys.  Really enjoyed going through this.  

2 things, I was very hurt to see Roberto Baldoquin not even make the honorable mention list.  That is honestly, offensive to me.  2nd, Raider Uceta is by 5 million miles the best name in the organization.  I very much look forward to his certain and dominant break out. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

18 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

Thanks, all.

Funny how I notice things now that it is published - little grammatical errors.

A point of clarification: this is NOT meant as a replacement to the scouting reports done by Scotty, Dave, etc. This is meant mostly to provide composite rankings, but also to offer a reference for those wanting a sense of how the various prospects did, what the Angels have, etc.

I added the other position rankings to the forum post and blog article. Shoot me any changes or edits to my PM and I'll take care of those too, AJ. 

21 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

I asked for this before (and people were kind enough to provide). But at least for the top ten guys, can you list a similar MLB player (past or present) to compare these guys to for reference?

Thanks

I'll do a few, scout, but only from a statistical perspective - that is, what I think these prospects can turn out to be. You'll need someone like Scotty to give comps for their tools profiles.

Adell - Something along the lines of Upton in a good year; he reminds me a bit of the star outfielders of the 80s like Andre Dawson or Dave Winfield. Some compare him to George Springer. Shawn Green?

Canning - For some reason I can't stop thinking Dan Haren. Andy Pettitte? Mike Mussina? Those are all ceilings.

Marsh - He's hard to figure. Some have said Josh Reddick, but i see more average and discipline. A poor man's non-roid era Brian Giles? Rusty Greer? Nick Markakis with a bit more pop? Even Bobby Abreu?

Suarez - Jaime Barria is the first that comes to mind.

Jones - I see something between Ray Durham and Rickie Weeks.

Rengifo - Chone Figgins with less speed.

Thaiss - Brandon Belt.

Knowles - Baby Betts. OK, not going to happen,, but he's got the smaller dude with bigger ability vibe going on.

Deveaux - Lofton for tools. 

Hermosillo - Jeff DaVanon. Amos Otis is everything breaks right.

23 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

I asked for this before (and people were kind enough to provide). But at least for the top ten guys, can you list a similar MLB player (past or present) to compare these guys to for reference?

Thanks

@ten ocho recon scout @Angelsjunky It's a very inexact science, so give me some leeway here if you can. 

1. Adell - Torii Hunter, Justin Upton, George Springer are all pretty fair comps I think. Those are likely outcomes. He's s ceiling is somewhere beyond my comprehension. 

2. Canning - I see Trevor Bauer and Zack Greinke. Both werthe not immediately successful. They needed to take their lumps, but both in the late 20's put it together and became aces. So Canning may spend a few years at the back of a rotation before figuring it all out.

3. Marsh - Joc Pederson ...Same size, same work ethic, similar abilities. 

4. Suarez - Jason Vargas. Very similar repertoire and build. 

5. Jones - Honestly, not sure. Whatever AJ says is probably better than mine. 

6.  Rengifo - There's a lot of Jose Peraza in him. Similar build, same speed, same pop, similar actions and defensive profile. Peraza made a giant leap in the power department, but part of that has to be playing in Cincy though. 

7. Adams - I honestly don't know. Too early. How many major leaguers had full-ride offers to play WR at a top collegiate program? Rig now, off the top of my head, I'll just throw some names out there that would be his ceiling. Starling Marte, Andrew McCutchen, Lorenzo Cain...

8. Ward - Not really sure on this one. Without doing any homework, Todd Frazier? I've heard Donaldson thrown around too because of the similar build, late bloomer, former catcher thing. That would be pretty awesome if that ever happened. 

9.  Sandoval - I'd need to see him at least once or twice more. 

10. Thaiss - A slightly better version of Calhoun. Most other first baseman are taller or have different skill sets. Not as fast or athletic as Kole, but similar arm strength, same power right now, but more eventually. A better bat than Kole right now but much better in the future, and similar plate discipline. Kole's power is more of the compact sort whereas Thaiss projects to have more power because of the extension he gets. Kole is capable of using the whole field, but Thaiss' speciality is using the whole field. It was once said that if Kole were two inches taller, he'd have been a first round pick and I think that's what you're seeing with Thaiss. I think he'll probably end up exceeding Calhoun ever so slightly. Probably .280 30 DB 20 HR a year. 

1 hour ago, Angelsjunky said:

I'll do a few, scout, but only from a statistical perspective - that is, what I think these prospects can turn out to be. You'll need someone like Scotty to give comps for their tools profiles.

Adell - Something along the lines of Upton in a good year; he reminds me a bit of the star outfielders of the 80s like Andre Dawson or Dave Winfield. Some compare him to George Springer. Shawn Green?

Canning - For some reason I can't stop thinking Dan Haren. Andy Pettitte? Mike Mussina? Those are all ceilings.

Marsh - He's hard to figure. Some have said Josh Reddick, but i see more average and discipline. A poor man's non-roid era Brian Giles? Rusty Greer? Nick Markakis with a bit more pop? Even Bobby Abreu?

Suarez - Jaime Barria is the first that comes to mind.

Jones - I see something between Ray Durham and Rickie Weeks.

Rengifo - Chone Figgins with less speed.

Thaiss - Brandon Belt.

Knowles - Baby Betts. OK, not going to happen,, but he's got the smaller dude with bigger ability vibe going on.

Deveaux - Lofton for tools. 

Hermosillo - Jeff DaVanon. Amos Otis is everything breaks right.

I really like this post.