• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Class baiting article in OCR draws attention from Fangraphs

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/attendance-update-and-the-angels-latest-pr-mess/

"In his story for the OC Register, Pedro Moura discussed the Angels’ declining attendance with Robert Alvarado, a Vice President with the team. Alvarado dismissed targeting fans looking to pay for lower-priced seats because they do not make as many purchases once they are inside the stadium. This somewhat callous disregard for “discount buyers,” as Alvarado calls them, might work for short-term revenue, but the team has seen one of the bigger drops in attendance in MLB and the plan is a questionable one long-term."

A ticket/marketing guy makes solely finance driven comments..  A Reporter (and now FG), takes those comments and turns them into attack on people with lower income.   Im waiting for the Angels to start dodging questions that might inflame people so that they can be criticized for being evasive.

“The conventional wisdom would tell you, ‘Let’s get the bodies in here, because they’re still gonna be spending money on parking, hot dogs, souvenirs, all that stuff.’ But we have not seen that in the past. Drawing in a discount buyer, they aren’t necessarily flipping and buying stuff here.”  - Alvarado

Purely finance driven comments based on past results....  But the OCR piece follows that up with this brilliant piece of editorial BS

"Put another way, the Angels are eschewing the cheap seats in favor of luxury sections. They are thinking less about fans who pay for $10 tickets than fans who make advance dinner reservations for the Diamond Club Restaurant." - Pedro Moura

Indeed -- the Angels are thinking less about the fans who pay $10 for tickets....    I love when opinion becomes fact.

Edited by Inside Pitch

A marketing guy should know how his "finance driven" comments would play.

I actually agree with you but the marketing guy has no clue how the author is going to write the piece, how he will spin it, or what agenda the writer may carry.  Feel free to worry/obsess about this, take offense to it if you'd like, or you can just realize that its just a conversation about revenue.

The Angels want poor people to spend their money too.

Like I said above, I'm waiting for the Angels to stop answering questions and start getting ripped for it.  I'm getting the feeling that people are ready to take sides as the Stadium issue gets closer to coming to a head.

Edited by Inside Pitch

There are a lot of people writing about this.  If you are quoting mine, that's from the OC Weekly.

Yeah -- from the same guy that questions Moreno on why there are no blacks on the team and who previously has basically called Arte a fake Mexican that only cares about his heritage when it can make him money.

No agenda there at all. 

I became a fan because my father took me to games when I was a kid and it was cheap enough for a young working-class father to do so. This led to two Angel fans for life (my brother and I). Of course, the Angels weren't good in the 70s, so they couldn't pick & choose who went to the games.

However, this is just a microcosm of society at large. Nobody gives two shits anymore about the lower or middle classes, so this is not surprising.

It is cheaper to watch the games from home than to go to the games and pay $8 for a beer or $4 for a soda and $6 for a hot dog and $5 for a bag of peanuts. Maybe if THOSE prices were lowered (and the quality were improved), more people of all socioeconomic strata would go, and they'd actually spend money on concessions instead of feeling like they are being robbed blind due to captive audience pricing.

I actually agree with you but the marketing guy has no clue how the author is going to write the piece, how he will spin it, or what agenda the writer may carry.

Even removing the author's "spin", and quotes aren't great. People on a budget might not like being called "discount buyers".

And the thread title change reeks of what people around refer to as "butthurt". Marketing dude used the word "socioeconomic" - he's thinking and talking about class as much as any writer with an agenda.

Even removing the author's "spin", and quotes aren't great. People on a budget might not like being called "discount buyers".

And the thread title change reeks of what people around refer to as "butthurt". Marketing dude used the word "socioeconomic" - he's thinking and talking about class as much as any writer with an agenda.

Nailed it. If you look at this with anything other than rose colored glasses, the Angels are at fault here for being rather dumb about this. I find that 99 times out of 100 when people blame "spin" for things written that they don't like, it's their own biases that are the reason for that rather than any actual unfairness in something that's been reported.

More each day I'm baffled at the number of Arte defenders.

When Gene Autry owned the team, everything was awesome, except they didn't win enough.

Surprisingly we have a businessman who spends money on the product, but it seems like the organization just doesn't get it right.

I don't attend much and I'm not offended by the Angels target of a certain socioeconomic demographic. They actually should consider themselves lucky they have foolish 21+ year olds with seemingly disposable income, that go to game night after night and drink shitloads.

Because he was being asked about socioeconomics.

Was this an interrogation? He willingly engaged in the discussion. If it was important to the Angels to not give the message that they're getting blasted for in these articles, it could have been avoided. I'm just saying that removing everything the author adds and looking just at the quotes - even acknowledging the finance background - it still doesn't read well.

And I don't even care. I think it's equally as likely that the Angels are chasing short term revenue as it is that they are onto the next big thing in sports marketing. It's even possible that the Angels are legitimately worried about attendance and this was a smokescreen.

I'm curious if any of Anaheim's stadium revenue is based on attendance.