• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Class baiting article in OCR draws attention from Fangraphs

What a POS story with contradictions. Nowhere does Alvarado state they are not marketing to the lower class. He simply gave an explanation why revenue hasn't dropped with attendance dropping.  Fans in the higher priced seats are spending more $$. That's it. How can the writer say the Angels dismiss "the discount buyer" then in the same breathe reveal the Angels are offering discounted $10 tix? Alvarado gave legitimate reasons that attendance is lower thus far due to colder weather and the big three (Red Sox, Yanks, Dogs) have yet to play in Anaheim. But miraculously the article spins it to the Josh Hamilton debacle. This "journalist" is and idoit!

So the Angels are below MLB ticket avg pricing and in the bottom 10 for the total fan cost. I'll anxiously be waiting for the "MLB dismisses the lower class" article.

To be honest, that Orange County Register article really gave me a negative feeling. Despite what some people in this thread have stated, the Angels have clearly geared their home experience to a wealthier crowd and I just think that sends the wrong message to the "average fan".

I commented about this on Facebook yesterday and Geoff (LightTheHalo) brought up an interesting point:

The Angels don't have to pay the City of Anaheim for the use of the stadium until they sell 2.6 million tickets. After that, the Angels have to pay the city $2 for every ticket sold. It is very possible, that Arte's financial team has figured out how many tickets they need to sell a season to wealthier fans, still turn a profit and that number of tickets just might be less than 3 million. So not only is Arte still making a profit, but he is sticking it to the City of Anaheim by the Angels not selling that many tickets over 2.6 million.

No matter what the reason Arte has chosen to do this, I don't care for their decision and I think it is the wrong choice. Am I going to stop being a fan over it? Of course not, but I'd sure had to see the next generation of Angels fans get smaller because of this reason.

Well said!

Yeah -- from the same guy that questions Moreno on why there are no blacks on the team and who previously has basically called Arte a fake Mexican that only cares about his heritage when it can make him money.

No agenda there at all.

Gustavo "Ask a Mexican" Arellano. Talk about using your heritage to make money. Hack

What Alvarado said could possibly have been phrased better, yes. but IMHO the ticket prices speak for themselves. You can get a seat at most Angels games for less than the price of a movie ticket. You can get something from their value merch range for less than $10. Concession prices are insane, but they do let you bring food in. They're clearly trying to keep the games accessible to as many people as possible.

MLB *has* become inaccessible to many in some cities, but that's not the case with the Angels at this time. It's a far cry from something like the Yankees franchise, which built their new stadium with taxpayer funds, and then turned around and priced tickets so high that they were out of reach to many of those New York taxpayers.

I'm not sure I understand what the problem is here. Saying:

"We're still making more money than last year because of selling more tickets with higher prices" does NOT equal "We don't want poor people in the park." AT ALL.

The fact that there are $10 tickets available makes the entire article and issue at hand completely moot.

"They are thinking less about fans who pay for $10 tickets than fans who make advance dinner reservations for the Diamond Club Restaurant."

And why the hell wouldn't they?

These fu**witt writers and their retarded agendas are absolutely asinine. They're basically putting words unknowledgable words on toilet paper, and they are downright laughable.

I guess because Disney doesn't need or want poor people.

Has nothing to do with that. Can you imagine how freakin' packed it would be in the park if tickets to get in were in the $50-$60 range? You wouldnt even be able to walk around! Any good businessman will say keep raising prices until people aren't willing to pay. Even with prices as they are, attendance still continues to increase!

If people don't like it, don't go! But a business is and should always be allowed to cater to those who continue to make it succesful. If you don't like it, time to find a corner and cry about it until you grow up.

To piggyback calis post, unless (and i dont know one way or the other) the team has vastly increased ticket prices and eliminated cheap seats, whats the argument? Last i checked you can still buy seats for around 10 dollars...thats about the price of going to the movies right?

It seems to me the focus of this 'story' is that the reguster wanted a statement on less attendance, and the team countered with 'fiscally we're fine', and that morphed into 'they dont care that less people who buy cheap seats are going', when its not suggested at all

This isnt defending the angels. Its simply saying theres no story here at all....

No, you have been.  Without a doubt, but I liked what you did there.

So.... questioning the motives/agenda of the writer is defending the Angels?   Because that's what I've done from the start.   It's interesting how people pick and choose what they want to absorb when they read things.

Edited by Inside Pitch

I guess those Chinese investers are going to bring in some 5-star hotels and restraunts.

It's ok though because I'm sure those 5 star hotels and restaurants will cater towards the people at every level of socioeconomic range.   I find the dollar menu at Mastros to be quite good.

Edited by Inside Pitch

Has nothing to do with that. Can you imagine how freakin' packed it would be in the park if tickets to get in were in the $50-$60 range? 

I was actually making that point sarcastically.  (I know ... shocking, right?)   I agree with your points.  It's a bs article. 

In truth I think that MLB will do better if it doesn't forget the fans at all socioeconomic levels. If baseball is America's game, then marketing it only to the rich doesn't make sense.

But the Angels DO remember everyone with their ticket prices. Someone mentioned the price of food and drink. I'd personally love it if they lowered these a little; but as mentioned you can bring in your own food.

The City of Industry is in Los Angeles County. That should make the name change discussion a little more lively.

If you ever get cryogenically frozen, go to a game between the New New York Yankees against the Tijuana Angels of Industry.