• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Bronson Arroyo is our guy

So I see everyone here is exclusively focusing on spending money for a free agent pitcher but we still have a trade market that has options available?

I for one wouldn't mind seeing us make a trade for Homer Bailey who would be a solid #3 guy and even showed signs of a possible breakthrough last season in his peripherals and performance. I doubt it would be that much to sign him. Although the Reds might try to extend him (doubtful) they would need to sign a free agent starting pitcher to replace him (and Tanaka is holding up that whole process) and could conceivabely move him.

Other options are Jon Niese as SigBaby suggested. Doc brought up Estrada of the Brewers previously (although I don't think he is available).

I'm just saying that there could be other starting pitchers that are available in trade that could satisfy our need. We don't have to limit ourselves to just the free agent market.

Edited by ettin

It's pretty damn annoying to see someone suggest Bronson Arroyo on this site. Have you already forgotten Blanton? Arroyo is not that great, he's 37, makes shitty music, and he comes at a premium thanks to this laughable free agent market. 

So I see everyone here is exclusively focusing on spending money for a free agent pitcher but we still have a trade market that has options available?

I for one wouldn't mind seeing us make a trade for Homer Bailey who would be a solid #3 guy and even showed signs of a possible breakthrough last season in his peripherals and performance. I doubt it would be that much to sign him. Although the Reds might try to extend him (doubtful) they would need to sign a free agent starting pitcher to replace him (and Tanaka is holding up that whole process) and could conceivabely move him.

Other options are Jon Niese as SigBaby suggested. Doc brought up Estrada of the Brewers previously (although I don't think he is available).

I'm just saying that there could be other starting pitchers that are available in trade that could satisfy our need. We don't have to limit ourselves to just the free agent market.

I'm not sure who is still in need of a 2nd baseman, but I think trading Kendrick for a number 3 guy or even someone like Skaggs would be a good route to go.

I think Green and Lindsay would make a good platoon.

I am thinking Arroyo will be the fall back option if we don't get Tanaka.

Realistically, Tanaka will want a 6+ year deal.  Garza will want a 5+ year deal.  If you really think Garza will only get a 3 year, you will probably have to wait till March.  Similar to the Lohse situation last season.  But I think Jimenez and/or Santana will fit that bill more than Garza will.  Also remember that Garza is 30 years old.  So he will want to possibly maximize his last big contract, and a 3 year deal isn't it.  

So Arroyo for 2 years, Tanaka for 6, or Garza for 5.  Arroyo at say $10 million.  Tanaka at $20 million.  Or Garza at $15 million.  

This would be my biggest arguement for Arroyo.

2014 $166 million

2015 $145 million

2016 $131 million

2017 $83 million

2018 $56 million

2019 $57 million

These are the conservative CBT numbers right now.  Will the Angels be willing to go over the CBT figures on a regular basis?  Now you extend Trout to a conservative $17 million a year.

2014 $166 million

2015 $162 million

2016 $148 million

2017 $100 million

2018 $73 million

2019 $74 million

Going 5 on Garza or 6 on Tanaka will really push the limit on the CBT.  And 2017 on doesn't look like much now.  But you also don't have your #1 and #2 current pitchers.  

I don't think Garza will be a difference maker on the team.  155 IP last season.  103 IP the season before that.  Scary stuff to give a 5 year deal on.  I don't think Arroyo will be either .  And Tanaka is full of question marks.  He has the potential to be a great pitcher.  But people are forgetting Scouts have projected him to be a #3 type pitcher.  Do you want to commit $20 million over the next 6 years, and find out you have Diaske and a declining Pujols that make up some $45 million in CBT space?  I won't even add Hamilton.  

We could go the trade route.  But look at what Texas gave up for 1/2 season of Garza.  Even with 1 year left, teams will want at minimum the equivalent of a late first round pick in return, because that is what they are giving up in a trade.  

The Angels are in a tough position.  I can really see a scenario where we go into the season with what we have right now.  Because anyone with 2 eyes can see the situation the Angels are in, and every team will try and take advantage of us.  And it won't help that possibly the Yankees will also be in the same position as needing starting pitchers, but not wanting to pony up the money.  

First of all, I highly doubt Arroyo gets only 2 years. Everything I have heard has him expecting 3 years. If the Angels think they can get him for 2 years, it will cost more than $9M per.

Secondly, Arroyo allowed 32 HRs last season... in the NL!! This board destroys pitchers on the Angels staff that give up that many HRs a season. (Santana, Blanton). But because he throws 200 innings we should look past that? And he's still a #3 in your eyes? Must be blind!

Anybody who hates on the Blanton signing should not be for signing Arroyo. Granted I thought Blanton would do better last year.

Being from Cincinnati, Arroyo reminds me of Blanton. A signing that looks good on paper, but could backfire. I think the chances of Blanton rebounding are about as good as Arroyo having success here.

The reds park is very HR friendly, so that is the one big argument for why he might do good with the angels, even though it's the AL.

19HRs - 19 Games at home

13HRs - 13 Games on road

It doesn't matter. Home or road, the guy gives up ding dongs at a rapid rate.

Edited by xboom28x

I have serious concerns about any guy with marginal peripherals over the age of 30 who tends to have high hr rates and LD% that is going to make the move to the AL after essentially being in the NL for an extended period. 

Maholm and Arroyo certainly fit these criteria.  Capuano lesser so but he's been in a pitchers park that holds down Hrs.  Grated Angel stadium does as well, but that move to the AL seems to be the kiss of death for guys like that. 

Don't like Ubaldo or Santana because of their inconsistency, their ties to compensation, and the amount they are going to cost.

Garza concerns me.  His elbow is a problem.  The nature of his injury reeks of constant recurrance relative to his delivery unless he's changed it to take some pressure off.  If not, that injury/reaction is prone to keep happening

Although I'm not totally excited about him, Hammel is probably my pick for buy low with some chance for being better.  He's been in the AL east in those bandboxes.  His velocity has been ok.  (slight drop in 2013 from 2012 yet his 2012 velo was higher than the rest of his career).  He got hurt by the HR last year and his fly ball rate went up so in the AL west that should be less of an issue. 

• 2 weeks later...