• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Bronson Arroyo is our guy

In my opinion this is who we should be going after. Let me offer you many reasons why.

• This is a short term solution. If he says a 2-3 year contract, by the time he is done we should have much more depth as far as Starting Pitching.
  • The guy is durable. He has pitched 200 innings every year since 2005 and I don't expect that to change.
  • He hasn't pitched in the AL since 2005. Seems like this favors him more than opposing hitters.
  • His ERA over the last two seasons is about 3.75 and his K/BB rate has either increased or stay constant since 2010.
  • In his two postseason starts with the Reds, he has allowed 1 earned run in 12 1/3 innings pitched.
  • He would end up being our #3 so lets look at playoff match-ups with other #3 guy. I would say he's better than all except Sanzhez.

-vs Texas: Matchup vs Matt Harrison

-vs Oakland: Matchup vs Scott Kazmir

-vs Boston: Matchup vs John Lackey

- vs New York Matchup vs Ivan Nova or Hiroki Kuroda

- vs Tampa Bay Matchup vs Alex Cobb

- vs Detroit Matchup vs Anibal Sanchez

Like I've said before, we're not looking for an Ace, we're looking for a solid #3 guy and Bronson is that guy IMO. 

-vs Texas: Matchup vs Matt Harrison

-vs Oakland: Matchup vs Scott Kazmir

-vs Boston: Matchup vs John Lackey

- vs New York Matchup vs Ivan Nova or Hiroki Kuroda

- vs Tampa Bay Matchup vs Alex Cobb

- vs Detroit Matchup vs Anibal Sanchez

I would take any of these pitchers over Arroyo except for Kazmir

I'd rather have Garza for 4 years than Arroyo for 2 years. 

Garza has the stuff to best Weaver, but will most likely be on par with Wilson's totals, yet less walks.

I don't get the Garza hate here. I guess I never will. 

Warning sign #1: his performance with Texas last year.

Warning sign #2: the Rangers didn't want him back, after trading for him.

Warning sign #3: after coming to the AL, his ERA for August was 4.79, his ERA for September was 5.02.

However, his ERA in Arlington was 3.56.  That's probably at least a run better than anybody on our staff, but I have that Angels feeling that if we signed him he'd suddenly suck ass in Arlington.  

A #3 is average isn't it? Middle of the rotation guy = average. Mid to high 3 ERA, gives up the long ball close to Ervin Santana and Joe Blanton rates. 2011 was his only above average season and even that wasn't anything spectacular. Our money should be invested elsewhere imo. Save it for Trout, or save it for next offseason. Arroyo would be a solid contribution to this team on a short 1/2 year deal and far less money. 

Bronson Arroyo to the AL at age 37 coming off a 4.49 FIP year? No thanks.

Super durable, yes. And even if he can provide 400 innings for the next couple years, they're likely going to be 400 innings of ~4.00-4.50 ERA ball. That isn't bad, but it isn't good. I don't expect Capuano or Maholm to be any better, but they'll be cheaper and might be had for a single year.

I still like the idea of Chad Gaudin.

Bronson Arroyo to the AL at age 37 coming off a 4.49 FIP year? No thanks.

Super durable, yes. And even if he can provide 400 innings for the next couple years, they're likely going to be 400 innings of ~4.00-4.50 ERA ball. That isn't bad, but it isn't good. I don't expect Capuano or Maholm to be any better, but they'll be cheaper and might be had for a single year.

I still like the idea of Chad Gaudin.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/foul-ball-giants-pitcher-charged-groping-woman-article-1.1395281

Warning sign #1: his performance with Texas last year.

Warning sign #2: the Rangers didn't want him back, after trading for him.

Warning sign #3: after coming to the AL, his ERA for August was 4.79, his ERA for September was 5.02.

However, his ERA in Arlington was 3.56.  That's probably at least a run better than anybody on our staff, but I have that Angels feeling that if we signed him he'd suddenly suck ass in Arlington.  

Warning sign #4: He's on the wrong side of 30.

Warning sign #5: He is more fragile than the leg lamp on "A Christmas Story".

We all know my stance on Garza's talent, but I'll say one thing:

Garza cannot sniff Arroyo's durability.

Only in the past 1.5 years. Do not distort the facts whippersnapper. 

Garza is younger, better stuff, swing and miss pitches and has had success in the AL. 

Arroyo. None of the above. 

Negative Ghost Rider.

In the AL, he's the definition of a solid #2/#3. 

I'll take that any day over Arroyo. 

In the AL, Arroyo is Blanton-lite. 

funny.. consdering most here agreed that over the next couple of year Garza and Tanaka would be somewhat comparable statistically.

Just no Arroyo.

He was born in the 1970s.

For those of you who can't stand how often opponents were able to steal on Iannetta and Conger last year, you'll REALLY love all the steals Arroyo and that high karate kick of his will give up...

And he'll make Ervin Santana look like a ground ball pitcher.

Try to guess which of these players is Joe Blanton, and which is Bronson Arroyo.  These are career numbers

Player A / Player B

k/9 6.24 / 5.84

bb/9 2.37 / 2.46

whip 1.36 / 1.29

BABIP .274 / .260

LOB % 70.5 / 72.3

LD% 20.4 / 19.8

GB% 44.2 / 40.6

HR/FB% 11.0 / 10.9

ERA 4.51 / 4.19

FIP 4.23 / 4.54

Arroyo is 3 years older.