• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Could Angels land Tanaka in a stunner? (MLB.com article)

rick99gtp

How do they even determine who gets him? I know under the old system you just had to post the highest bid but if everybody puts up $20M what's the deciding factor?

He decides who he wangts to sign with from any of the teams willing to pay 20M to talk to him.   That team ends up having to pay the 20M, the rest play tiddlywinks.

How do they even determine who gets him? I know under the old system you just had to post the highest bid but if everybody puts up $20M what's the deciding factor?

Simple. He's a free agent. He decides which contract he wants and where he plays. The winning team then pays $20 million to the Rakuten Golden Eagles.

Let's not confuse the facts here everyone. Trout does not need to be extended this offseason. He is the Angels property for four more seasons. 

Trout can be paid the league minimum, it's the way the collective bargaining agreement is written. I think they should give him more, but not substantially more, as that sets a bad precedent.

They paid Frankie I think 150k more than the minimum in his 3rd year. They paid Anderson and Salmon both 2-3 times the minimum in their third years, but that could've been on extensions. They paid Weaver less than 100k more than the minimum in their third year. Same thing for Kendrick and Aybar.

Look for them to renew Trout at 600-630k. That's it. Next year, he'll set an arbitration record of perhaps 12 million. That's it. After that, he could go up to 18. And after that, he could get 20+. 

If they wanted to they could sign him to a three year extension, which would give him some money now, and afford the Angels some savings in years 2 & 3. They won't sign him to a massive extension this offseason.

Say, three years, 27 Million. AAV of 9. Which would leave them under the CBT by only 10M or so. Which means they'd exceed the CBT if they sign Tanaka.

Let's not confuse the facts here everyone. Trout does not need to be extended this offseason. He is the Angels property for four more seasons. 

Trout can be paid the league minimum, it's the way the collective bargaining agreement is written. I think they should give him more, but not substantially more, as that sets a bad precedent.

They paid Frankie I think 150k more than the minimum in his 3rd year. They paid Anderson and Salmon both 2-3 times the minimum in their third years, but that could've been on extensions. They paid Weaver less than 100k more than the minimum in their third year. Same thing for Kendrick and Aybar.

Look for them to renew Trout at 600-630k. That's it. Next year, he'll set an arbitration record of perhaps 12 million. That's it. After that, he could go up to 18. And after that, he could get 20+. 

If they wanted to they could sign him to a three year extension, which would give him some money now, and afford the Angels some savings in years 2 & 3. They won't sign him to a massive extension this offseason.

Say, three years, 27 Million. AAV of 9. Which would leave them under the CBT by only 10M or so. Which means they'd exceed the CBT if they sign Tanaka.

Finally someone who's talking sense around here.

They won't extend him THIS offseason. But I expect them to attempt to at the beginning of the year or next offseason at the latest.

I could be completely wrong here. I know no more than anyone else about what it will take to extend Trout. However I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that Arte's biggest concern when trying to extend Trout will be "how long can I keep this generational talent in an Angels uniform?" and not about how much money he can save during his arb years.

Doggies are "in".

After signing Tanaka, they can trade Puig or Kemp for Price.

Scary.

http://www.latimes.c...)#axzz2pqBYTA6G

Tanaka, who is on the radar screens of a number of teams, is represented by Casey Close, who is also the agent for Clayton Kershaw and Zack Greinke.

“Obviously, Casey and I go back quite a while,” Colletti said.

Colletti described the conversations as preliminary in nature.

They have a multitude of options about how to fill out the rotation. 

Signing Tanaka, Jimenez, or Santana probably gives them the best chance to compete. How much is that #15 pick worth? Jimenez and Santana mean giving up that pick, while Tanaka will cost more. 

The best #15 picks in history have been Chase Utley and Jim Rice. Chris Carpenter was the best pitcher and Scott Kazmir also went #15. There aren't a ton of good picks in history at that slot, but it's not top prospect territory.

At the slots around #15, you've got Roy Halladay (17th), Cole Hamels (17th), Frank Tanana (13th), Clemens (19th), Jose Fernandez (14th).

There's not been a great pick at the #15 spot since Stephen Drew in 2004. 

Yet, if you give up a Jose Fernandez or a Halladay or an Utley, you'd be distraught.

The MLB draft is a complete crap shoot. Giving up a first round pick isn't the same as giving one up in other sports.

With that said, I still wouldn't give it up for someone like Santana or Jimenez.

^This.

I would have been fine with giving it up for someone like Choo. But nobody else this off-season.