• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

RIP Jerry Coleman

He could butcher the English language, but you didn't care, because he was so fun to listen to.  RIP #42

Maybe the first player to wear 42 before Mo did.

I loved Coleman's butchering the language as much as I loved Sparky Anderson's quadruple negatives when he announced for us.  Coleman was just so fun to listen to.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/quotes/quocole.shtml

http://www.sportshollywood.com/coleman.html

Edited by Inside Pitch

he's twelfth all time in championships won. all star 2b. world series mvp.  100+ combat missions over two wars. roommate with micky mantle (awesome), and one of the last guys alive to have played with dimaggio.

i guess he didn't do much with his life, because all of that was before his 40th birthday. unbelievable.

Edited by ukyah

I loved Coleman's butchering the language as much as I loved Sparky Anderson's quadruple negatives when he announced for us.  Coleman was just so fun to listen to.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/quotes/quocole.shtml

http://www.sportshollywood.com/coleman.html

A great combo would have been Drysdale.  I recall he called a game and during it said - "Long fly ball to center.  The CF goes back ...back...bangs his head on the wall.  Now its rolling back to the infield.

R.I.P. Jerry, you were always a class act and a fun person to have announcing games, including the fun malaprops.

Speaking of which, I liked Drysdale's line one day on a Rams radiocast, that Jim Healy immortalized.

"Haden looks like he may have suffered a little bit of a serious head injury, or just had his eyeballs knocked a little goofy."

Dick Enberg's first significant job was also on Channel 5 as a sports news guy in the mid 1960s, before he was hired by first the Rams in 1966 (replacing legendary announcer Bob Kelley, who passed away shortly after that) and then the Halos in 1969 (replacing Buddy Blattner, who had just been hired as the expansion Royals first announcer).

Edited by Angel Oracle

He was fun to listen to.

Didn't he do channel 5 sports here for awhile?

KTLA has had a lot of guys that either went on to bigger and better things or were high profile in some way or another.  I remember how much people hated Keith Olbermann when he replaced Joe Buttitta, and then I think Stu Nahan took over after Olbermann.

I grew up on Hal Fishman, Larry McCormick, and Stan Chambers as the on field guy.

Edited by Inside Pitch

I grew up on Hal too.  I was lucky to produce for most of those bigger guys over the last 20 years.   I missed Dunphy before I got to KCAL, but everyone loved him.   Despite working across the street from Hal, I never met him.  I heard he was tough, because not only was he the anchor, he was the managing editor.   He really did call all the shots. 

Moyer's nephew does a good job on KTLA now.   He's sliding into that Hal mold well, after they were in flux for so long.

For me, nobody was better than Moyer.

I grew up on Hal too.  I was lucky to produce for most of those bigger guys over the last 20 years.   I missed Dunphy before I got to KCAL, but everyone loved him.   Despite working across the street from Hal, I never met him.  I heard he was tough, because not only was he the anchor, he was the managing editor.   He really did call all the shots. 

Moyer's nephew does a good job on KTLA now.   He's sliding into that Hal mold well, after they were in flux for so long.

For me, nobody was better than Moyer.

Hal was awesome -- I remember when I first saw the Simpsons' news anchor, I thought to myself how much he reminded me of Hal, only to find out years later that Hal had actually been the inspiration for Kent Brockman

LA has had some really fine news guys -- Moyer, Dumphy, Fishman.

Edited by Inside Pitch

Healy did it a zillion times, and I still laughed.  Anytime a reference was made to or about an Asian athlete: "Well, let's see what Jerome Brown thinks about this."

Same here -- that link brings back a ton of memories....  Stu Nahan calling the Astros the assholes and the commentary that followed was classic.

I liked how Nahan tried to pretend he didn't say it, "that's what I said, the Houston Astros".

Lasorda's audios were legendary, especially the ones about Kingman, Bevacqua, and the Nose.

Mad props to Tim Conway for his support of the Jim Healy show (Uhh Jim, I think you have a hole in yoiur screen door.)

What was weird about Paul Moyer (and he was rock solid) was how much he sounded and looked like Tom Snyder.

Edited by Angel Oracle