• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

RIP Jerry Coleman

Same here -- that link brings back a ton of memories....  Stu Nahan calling the Astros the assholes and the commentary that followed was classic.

My brother and I were huge Healy fans.  Last couple of years it has been sort of a running joke with us:  "We got a bad team,man,  bad ****in' team!"

all has been said but a truly great American........flew combat missions in WWII and Korea.......was, I think, the only active MLB to see ACTIVE COMBAT FLYING MISSIONS in both WWI and Korea.......when this is remarked upon, folks say NO -- and mention Ted Williams as well -- but the distinction is ACTIVE COMBAT in both WWII and Korea.......

Jerry Coleman, before he was the SD Padres play by play guy who went on to become an icon there, the identity of the team as much as Tony Gwynn Jr. was/is. but Coleman before all that was the host of the Los Angeles Angels pre-game show back in the day.........

in fact, what helped him get the Padres job initially was that Buzzie Bavasi was the Padres initial GM and all the players Buzzie signed were from the Dodgers and Angels and Coleman knew them all.

OH DOCTOR, HANG A STAR ON THAT ONE!!!!!!!!!!

Here's a brief personal anecdote by Bill Center of the San Diego Union-Tribune:

"I was with Jerry Coleman years ago in Cincinnati when he met the family members of a Marine pilot he had served with and befriended in Korea.

The pilot had died in combat.

As Jerry and the widow talked, Coleman remembered finite details about her late husband . . . all the way down to his favorite cigar. He remembered funny and warm moments. Through the tears, he brought a smile to her face. As the widow walked away an hour later, the pilot’s daughter, who had never met her father, hugged Coleman and thanked him for “making my dad come alive.”

....Days after that meeting in Cincinnati, I mentioned to Coleman that he had side-stepped the widow’s question about how her husband had died.

Coleman knew. But he dodged the question as though he didn’t. “She doesn’t need to know the details,” said Coleman. “That’s not what you want her to remember.”

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2014/jan/05/padres-mlb-coleman-remembered/