• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

This place has been quiet

Stradling

I am guessing it will blow up in the next week or so as we start to see the remaining pitchers get signed. I am starting to lean in the direction of sign Tanaka or trade Aybar for pitching depth. I know a lot of people are worried about going into this season with the starting staff we currently have and saying it is too much like last year. I disagree. Last years staff, well at least the Hanson and Blaton parts were players that were either no good, or no longer effective. Neither of those pitchers really had upside, they were both fillers and players to complete a staff that was needed to keep us in games because of our offense. If we go into this season as is (which we won't) we will have pitchers with talent and upside. They will take their lumps as most young pitchers do, but it will still be so much better than watching what we watched last year.

The rotation will be better as is, but the Angels will need depth. I see a few things we weren't expecting for this next season occurring.

1. Weaver won't be the same. He was great and never relied on throwing hard and was a CY candidate every year.....back when he was throwing 89/90. It's pretty clear he doesn't throw that hard anymore. Even with deception I just don't see him getting away with throwing 85 this year. I think weav's numbers will be closer to that of a #3 starter rather than ace.

2. Richards will take a huge step forward and become the mid rotation starter many if us envisioned.

3. Santiago's numbers won't be as good as before, but he still should be on par with Vargas from last year in terms of value as a #4 starter.

4. Skaggs will make the no-brainer adjustment that every scout in the world saw and resume throwing in the low-90's and become a very solid #3/4 starter.

In essence I don't see the Angels having your typical ace, #2, two mid rotation arms and a backend inning eater type of rotation. Instead I see them a #2 starter in Wilson and a collection of four mid-rotation arms, which lacks upside but makes up for it in not having downside either.

A slightly above average rotation. I like the rotation but I am free to admit they need more depth. I love Shoemaker as a spot starter and think Blanton's fine in long relief and mop up. But I think this organization would be much better off if it found 2 more starters they could slot along side Shoe in AAA. Mulder would make a ton if sense actually.

I think we will be in on tanaka and garza both. The way the angels have been so stealth in going after players over the last few years could give the impression that the FO isn't trying. We never hear anything about our chances unless we sign the player. Otherwise we get the standard " made a fair offer" line. Would love to have tanaka. Garza may be effective but he is pickle bait.

Arte has so much money invested in Hamilton/Weaver/Pujols/Wilson that there is no way he won't continue to go all in.  They will sign another pitcher (or two), it is just a matter of whether they get their top targets.

And honestly, as much as most of us want Tanaka, our rotation will be vastly improved even if we "only" get Garza.