• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official Mark Trumbo Trade Chatter (DEAL DONE)

Not true.  You trade Howie as well.  Hell, I'd trade Aybar too.

Pitching is the most important thing for this team.

you have to remember that the FO is playing for 2014.  Pitching is of the utmost importance, but upgrades at SP via trade as opposed to cheap FAs may be washed out by downgrades to the offense.  It just doesn't seem like the market would net enough to justify those moves for the short term. 

Not true.  You trade Howie as well.  Hell, I'd trade Aybar too.

Pitching is the most important thing for this team.

Thinking like this is what got us in this mess. For years we needed a hitter and then we went overboard and neglected the pitching. A run scored and a run prevented are the same thing. Don't give away more offense than you are getting in a trade for pitching.

The best run teams go for need and value and not just need.

I'm sorry, but I just don't agree.  Strong pitching is more important than anything.

If the Angels trade Trumbo for Skaggs (which would be a HUGE mistake), this team is in big trouble.

Weaver

Wilson

Richards

Skaggs

?

If that is 4/5 of your rotation, this team is going to be a 4th place team next year.

I'm sorry, but I just don't agree.  Strong pitching is more important than anything.

If the Angels trade Trumbo for Skaggs (which would be a HUGE mistake), this team is in big trouble.

Weaver

Wilson

Richards

Skaggs

?

If that is 4/5 of your rotation, this team is going to be a 4th place team next year.

yeah.  I'm not a fan of that either.  Doesn't do enough to make up the loss of offense by adding Shuck to the lineup. 

Sorry Doc, but Mark Trumbo sucked donkey nuts as a DH last season so Shuck is actually an improvement.

Shuck is a reserve, not a starter. Trumbo has much more value than JB.

I don't want to see Shuck getting many starts outside of an occasional start here and there.

yeah.  I'm not a fan of that either.  Doesn't do enough to make up the loss of offense by adding Shuck to the lineup. 

I agree that Shuck should be nothing more than a 4th outfielder.

This is why IMO the Angels should try to trade Trumbo for Cahill (and Skaggs if possible).  The Angels should then sign Garza.  To then save some money, the Angels should trade Howie and if possible Aybar.  Green and Romine will be fine filling in for them.  Finally, the Angels should sign someone for the DH roll.

Fact is, Chuck, that Trumbo was a horrible DH and if Shuck were the DH, which is not likely, that would put Calhoun in the field. We lose all of maybe 10 home runs in the transfer but pick up a hell of a lot more men on base.

I am pretty sure the DH role is going to be platoonville with Pujols and Hamilton getting their fair share of time rotating through the position. It is the least of our worries with the upgrade in offense at 3rd base and with Greene waiting for a position and if Kendrick is not moved he could fill in as well.

We need pitching more than a .290 obp guy, no matter what you think of his occasional power.

If Trumbo is traded, they absolutely have to find someone who is an above average bat to DH or at find a guy to use in a platoon situation.

Hart is my #1 choice but a guy like Youkilis would be great especially since he'll probably come cheap. Anything but Shuck and his .366 SLG% at DH.

Shuck doesn't have the speed to steal bases or pop. He's our 2014 version of Orlando Palmeiro. He should pinch hit or spell outfielders every now and then.

Fact is, Chuck, that Trumbo was a horrible DH and if Shuck were the DH, which is not likely, that would put Calhoun in the field. We lose all of maybe 10 home runs in the transfer but pick up a hell of a lot more men on base.

I am pretty sure the DH role is going to be platoonville with Pujols and Hamilton getting their fair share of time rotating through the position. It is the least of our worries with the upgrade in offense at 3rd base and with Greene waiting for a position and if Kendrick is not moved he could fill in as well.

We need pitching more than a .290 obp guy, no matter what you think of his occasional power.

.290 yes, but Trumbo also produced 100 RBI, 35 of which were over the fence for guaranteed runs. Shuck has no business in this convo at DH. Trumbo was better.

Calhoun is gonna play anyway with Trumbo around or not so you can't factor him into it.  It's basically Trumbo vs. Shuck/Green or whoever else.  If Trumbo is traded and things are left as is, that's a pretty decent downgrade. 

Chuck, those 100 RBI could have been knocked in by Howie Kendrick if he was in the 5 hole all season. Trumbo's stats with RISP says he blew more chances than converted, the 100 number (to quote YOT) is a false stat. It was blind squirrel RBIs. 18 of those home run were solo shots. It's not like he was Mr. Clutch, he was more like clutch the bat too hard and once in a while he mistakenly made contact.

Save the sales speech about 34/100 for the GMs that are valuing their pitchers and maybe they will believe it but watching the entire season last year Mark Trumbo was the most frustrating of any of the Angels to watch.

Shuck doesn't have the speed to steal bases or pop. He's our 2014 version of Orlando Palmeiro. He should pinch hit or spell outfielders every now and then.

Absolutely. 

Counting on Shuck to get 300 PA is just an awful idea. Find anybody out on the FA market and they'll outproduce Shuck. 

Hart or Youkilis would be great. Jeff Baker could platoon against lefties(128 wRC+ career against LHP). Jason Kubel just had an awful season but could rebound and be useful against righties(116 wRC+ career against RHP). 

Shuck is a reserve, not a starter. Trumbo has much more value than JB.

I don't want to see Shuck getting many starts outside of an occasional start here and there.

If all hinges on how much Scioscia likes him. My feeling from last year is that Mike likes him a good deal.

I expect to see him in the lineup often.

If all hinges on how much Scioscia likes him. My feeling from last year is that Mike likes him a good deal.

I expect to see him in the lineup often.

I agree that Mike seemed to like Shuck a lot, but Hamilton, Trout, Calhoun is the starting outfield.  There is no doubt about it.

Youkilis's career ended two years ago, the Yankees only got the memo last season.

Part of the problem was the Yankees thought he could handle a full time 3B role. 

I'm not advocating signing him to a 2/10 deal or anything but if you can sign him on a 1 year deal for 2 mil and DH him full time, I think he can be a valuable piece.