• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

LA Times: Angels' Jerry Dipoto is limited in attempt to improve team

If we get two decent starting pitchers and go into the season with the current bullpen, we can always make a move during the season to strengthen it if needed.

if we're really as boxed in as the article says, sign Maholm (who isn't terrible) and maybe one more serviceable guy, then see where we are in June...DO NOT make (another) bad trade if the trade market is flat...

I wonder if the Its Not Our Money Crowd get it now.

Anyhow, it sounds like Dipoto plans to sign a cheap free agent #4-5 type, and then hope to hell that he can trade Kendrick or Trumbo for a decent #3.

I feel reasonably optimistic about Garrett Richards, but I don't feel good about the game plan being assuming that he's going to be a #3 next year and/or they can pull off a trade. If Dipoto doesn't pull off a trade AND Garrett bombs, this rotation will be awful.

Was hard to expect them to completely fix the pitching in one offseason IMO. Just wasn't a realistic goal considering how bad they were in that regard and what little money/flexibility they had. I do, however, would hope for some marginal improvement. Really gotta hit on whatever low level arm they sign for cheap

simple fact is this team, as it's constructed, has put all their eggs in the Pujols/Hamilton basket. If they rebound, the team will do well, if they don't, they'll suck again. That's the situation they are in and will be in for awhile

Ya, I'm not sure how replacing Scott Downs with Joe Smith, Michael Kohn with Fernando Salas, and Jerome Williams with Joe Blanton/Matt Shoemaker/Chris Volstad/Wade LeBlanc constitutes being in good shape.

They'll have better depth in the minors with Morin, Alvarez, et al moving up though, I guess.

Bullpens are like Basketball teams. Adding two good options make all the pieces fit better and make the remaining pieces perform better than they would without them

If you believe the article, can't sign Garza w/out moving Howie or Trumbo...

I still don't believe that Arte and co. wouldn't go a little into the tax if the right deal was there. Also: We should get together sometime at watch a game sometime. Morristown isn't that far away!

Edited by Greg_Bearringer

Add in the 5 million in Mike Scioscia's contract and you have 75 million worth of dead weight on this team.  you just cant make that many mistakes and expect to remain competetive.

I see what you did. By adding Sosh into this you were able to turn it into another fat joke.

Was hard to expect them to completely fix the pitching in one offseason IMO. Just wasn't a realistic goal considering how bad they were in that regard and what little money/flexibility they had. I do, however, would hope for some marginal improvement. Really gotta hit on whatever low level arm they sign for cheap

simple fact is this team, as it's constructed, has put all their eggs in the Pujols/Hamilton basket. If they rebound, the team will do well, if they don't, they'll suck again. That's the situation they are in and will be in for awhile

It's actually the 2nd off-season of fixing the pitching.    And at the rate we're going, this will be like the previous off-season with lack of REAL pitching acquisitions.        

Unfortunately, Arte the long ball lover did put all his eggs in that basket. 

Edited by Angel Oracle

It's actually the 2nd off-season of fixing the pitching. And at the rate we're going, this will be like the previous off-season with lack of REAL pitching acquisitions.

Unfortunately, Arte the long ball lover did put all his eggs in that basket.

We aren't really going with Arte the long ball lover are we? Arte signed Weaver, Arte signed CJ. Arte signed Albert, Arte signed Hamilton. Sounds pretty balanced to me. Just because you see it one way doesn't mean it is that way.

You guys are missing the worst news of that report.  Its the fact that it looks like the Angels are not going to offer Trout an extension until after he hits arbitration.  That means the Angels are giving up most of their leverage in efforts to re-sign Mike Trout.  

If we are as bad off as the article says we are than we should:

1. Trade both Kendrick and Aybar:

2. Take the money saved from both and what is left over and extend Trout now.  

3.  Go with the shitty pitching that we have and suffer for a couple of years

4.  Than possibly as Wells and Hamilton are off the books try to build a winner!

WE ARE REALLY F'D UP IF WE BELIEVE THAT ARTICLE.

You guys are missing the worst news of that report.  Its the fact that it looks like the Angels are not going to offer Trout an extension until after he hits arbitration.  That means the Angels are giving up most of their leverage in efforts to re-sign Mike Trout.  

If we are as bad off as the article says we are than we should:

1. Trade both Kendrick and Aybar:

2. Take the money saved from both and what is left over and extend Trout now.  

3.  Go with the shitty pitching that we have and suffer for a couple of years

4.  Than possibly as Wells and Hamilton are off the books try to build a winner!

WE ARE REALLY F'D UP IF WE BELIEVE THAT ARTICLE.

That isn't what it said. It said they had already discussed it but they need to wait until during the season at the very least. 

It could have caught up to them last year when they didn't sign Grienke for all we know

It's not just Greinke. If money wasn't an issue would we have begun the year with Blanton and Hanson in the rotation? Hanson was a massive question. Mark and was coming off of a litany of shoulder issues.

If $ was available they would have signed Anibal Sanchez or somebody else and kept Walden.