• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

As and Rangers working on "significant trade"

jshep

Most importantly everyone rides Dipoto for making a move to early (e.g. Bourjos) but are now riding him for not making a move (e.g. pitching acquisition) early enough?

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I suggest following Mr. Saltzer's flawless logic of waiting until the rest of off-season pans out (i.e. end of Spring Training)  before everyone has a stroke (and trust me I sat in bumper to bumper traffic this morning and witnessed a driver next to me literally going berserk (throwing his hands up, honking his horn, flipping people off, etc.) because he was moving 3 feet every minute).

I love this team and will root for them until the day I die, but after last offseason I'm not too keen on the wait-and-see approach.  Last year we needed starting pitching and we got Josh Hamilton, and Blanton and Hanson.  This year we once again need starting pitching, and we've gotten a slight upgrade at 3B.  I just see this team being in the position of needing to get Tanaka to have any hopes for next year, and there's no guarantee he ends up on the team.  Garza is questionable in the AL - look how he did with the Rangers last year - and he's the next best bet.  

After a great decade or so, I'm getting back to the lack of optimism that has fueled most of my time as an Angels fan.  

Texas now has Martin and Rios in the OF. It wouldn't surprise me to see them get Choo now.

Which would be very scary if they had a Choo, Beltre, Fielder middle of the order. 

Is that better than Kinsler/Hamilton/Beltre/Cruz?  I agree, it would be a boost for the Rangers, but I don't think their lineup with a Choo/Ellsbury would better than their lineup of 2010/2011.

Edited by KevinStockerIsGod

I've got no problem with Dipoto waiting to see how things play out at this point.  If he's not getting what he thinks he should then don't make a trade just to make one. 

I think they are also waiting to see what happens with Tanaka.  They likely won't get him, but that's a pretty significant piece and could have major impact on what else you would do. 

I've got no problem with Dipoto waiting to see how things play out at this point.  If he's not getting what he thinks he should then don't make a trade just to make one. 

I think they are also waiting to see what happens with Tanaka.  They likely won't get him, but that's a pretty significant piece and could have major impact on what else you would do. 

I also think the remaining crop of SP would want to wait out Tanaka b/c they will become more desirable to runners up, unless you overpay a bit now.  I mean, if the A's went with Kazmir for $11 mil per b/c Colon was shooting higher than that, it's better to wait a bit to be sure.  Last year, we jumped the SP gun and signed Blanton.  Maybe it's best to play it out a bit first. 

Is that better than Kinsler/Hamilton/Beltre/Cruz?  I agree, it would be a boost for the Rangers, but I don't think their lineup with a Choo/Ellsbury would better than their lineup of 2010/2011.

The previous lineups were better for them but they've made their lineup a pretty big strength again. I hope Choo doesn't land there.

I also think the remaining crop of SP would want to wait out Tanaka b/c they will become more desirable to runners up, unless you overpay a bit now.  I mean, if the A's went with Kazmir for $11 mil per b/c Colon was shooting higher than that, it's better to wait a bit to be sure.  Last year, we jumped the SP gun and signed Blanton.  Maybe it's best to play it out a bit first. 

yah.  I've got no problem missing out on Colon or Arroyo if it means we have a shot at Tanaka.  A repeat of last year where we made early moves to get Blanton and Hanson didn't work out so well. 

I get waiting, but I'd like Dipoto to jump at one of Colon, Jimenez or Garza to solidify the #3 spot in the rotation. Then you can gamble on Tanaka and if you're outbidded, go out an sign one of the other two, or Arroyo for #4.

This is where I'm at, though if you are Garza, you'd figure he's likely hearing from his agent to wait things out until at least the winter meetings get into full swing. Halos should try to get Colon or Jimenez right now though before more SP's are off the market. Get them for a reasonable price while other, better options are out there

Getting Colon or Ubaldo + Tanaka would be solid. Ideally they'd somehow get Daniel Hudson for cheap as well to add him to the SP depth group. Still not sold on the pen, but at least they'd have some options this year in Alvarez/Morin if injury strikes or one of their core guys ends up sucking

Edited by bloodbrother

This is where I'm at, though if you are Garza, you'd figure he's likely hearing from his agent to wait things out until at least the winter meetings get into full swing. Halos should try to get Colon or Jimenez right now though before more SP's are off the market. Get them for a reasonable price while other, better options are out there

Getting Colon or Ubaldo + Tanaka would be solid. Ideally they'd somehow get Daniel Hudson for cheap as well to add him to the SP depth group. Still not sold on the pen, but at least they'd have some options this year in Alvarez/Morin if injury strikes or one of their core guys ends up sucking

I'm glad you mentioned Alvarez and Morin as I believe these two could make a case to crack the Angels bullpen either out of ST or by midseason. Both of these guys are really good arms with knockout pitches.

yah.  I've got no problem missing out on Colon or Arroyo if it means we have a shot at Tanaka.  A repeat of last year where we made early moves to get Blanton and Hanson didn't work out so well. 

Those weren't bad moves because they were made early -- they were bad moves because it was Blanton and Hanson.

This can be somewhat significant..for the Rangers.

If you're going to do a deal like this..why not Michael Taylor for Gentry? Seems more fair?

Choice could make the All-Star team in 3-4 years...especially playing in Texas and home. I don't get it, I really don't

Josh Lindblom won't even make the 40 man roster and I wouldn't be surprised if he's cut before the season started.

Gentrys nice. Great speed, good defense, ok bat.....but man

I get waiting, but I'd like Dipoto to jump at one of Colon, Jimenez or Garza to solidify the #3 spot in the rotation. Then you can gamble on Tanaka and if you're outbidded, go out an sign one of the other two, or Arroyo for #4.

I agree Chuck. I would have no problem getting Colon locked up then go full ahead after Tanaka.

The A's had offers out to more than one guy -- they aren't waiting for left-overs.

People forget that the year we got Colon, the Angels went in hard and said -- this is our best offer, take it or leave it -- ditto Escobar.  The difference is people knew Bill Stoneman wasn't someone to be trifled with, whereas Dipoto is known for being able to outspend everyone else.

They can wait out Dipoto and wait for the desperation to kick in.

same here. these deals take time, and i'm pretty sure jerry's not just sitting around playing xbox while rome burns.

i think people here tend to forget these guys are working the phones an awful lot, even if there isn't a lot of info going around about the team on the rumor wires.

I don't think Jiminez or Garza are going to sign until after Tanaka gets posted.  Especially Jiminez because he tied to compensation. 

I would imagine that all of these guys agents are actually the ones delaying things.  Probably not related to Dipoto.  I'd hate to see the halos overpay just to incentivize someone to sign with them early. 

Also, we have to keep in mind that there are other teams out there with plenty of money that might be more attractive from a winning standpoint so we may not be their first choice. 

I say let some of this play out.  Get to the winter meetings.  Maybe JD's good looks can win people over once they are face to face.  :)

Edited by Dochalo