• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

As and Rangers working on "significant trade"

jshep

To act like the Angels don't give a shit about defense is stupid Scott. Last year the team envisioned having an outfield defense of Trout, Peter and Hamilton. Because of injuries that didn't come to fruition. So the Angels are going into this coming year with an outfield of Calhoun, Trout and Hamilton. I realize that Calhoun had a lousy year defensively last year, but do you really think that is what he is? He sure didn't seem to be lousy the year before. Now lets look at the infield defense this past year. Pujols, before injury was always considered an above average defensive first baseman. Howie at second, which is at least league average. Aybar who is above league average, and then Callaspo, who was league average the last couple of years. Ianetta and Conger are both below average at their position. This year we will have Freese instead of Callaspo, which if he plays like he did in 2013 is a downgrade. If Freese gets back to 2011 or 2012 then it is probably a push or a very small downgrade. Now saying all this doesn't mention that the Angels played like shit last year defensively, but going into the season, I don't think anyone thought it would be a weakness.

Well, they're going from Callaspo who was above average over the course of his time here(although he did have a down year defensively in 2013) to Freese, who we're hoping can was bad last year, likely due at least in part to injuries, but has been solid defensively...which we're hoping he can recapture.

Hamilton/Trout/Calhoun shouldn't be as bad as it was in 2013, because both Hamilton and Calhoun(particularly him) probably shouldn't be as bad as they were last year. It's still not nearly as good as the outfield scenarios involving Trout, Bourjos and one of Calhoun/Hamilton though.

And there's still a very real possibility that Kendrick gets swapped out for Grant Green, who is basically a statue at 2nd.

Jshep, also keep in mind that Trout was not that great this past year defensively as well. I am guessing he can get back to where he was the year before. I also like the idea of an entire season of Calhoun playing RF with his arm and letting Josh settle in as an every day left fielder. We could see Kendrick traded, but don't be surprised if that happens to see more of a platoon at 2nd with Green and Romine, so the defensive affect wouldn't be nearly as bad. I hope that the market for Aybar is higher than the market for Howie, because I really don't want to see Howie traded.

Maybe not but the pitching is much better considering CJ wilson was our #1 starter in 2011

I agree the bulk of the pitching is better but, save the snark.  CJ Wilson's 150 ERA+ in 2011 was better than anyone currently on the roster has ever managed to put up as a starting pitcher -- including Darvish.

Edited by Inside Pitch

This can be somewhat significant..for the Rangers.

If you're going to do a deal like this..why not Michael Taylor for Gentry? Seems more fair?

Choice could make the All-Star team in 3-4 years...especially playing in Texas and home. I don't get it, I really don't

Josh Lindblom won't even make the 40 man roster and I wouldn't be surprised if he's cut before the season started.

Gentrys nice. Great speed, good defense, ok bat.....but man

Choice in that park could be really really good.  Texas made out okay.

I agree the bulk of the pitching is better but, save the snark. CJ Wilson's 150 ERA+ in 2011 was better than anyone currently on the roster has ever managed to put up as a starting pitcher -- including Darvish.

C.J. had a 2.94 era in '11 while Darvish had a 2.83 this past year. There is no way of getting around it, Darvish was the smarter signing. And that same year didn't C.J. set some sort of record for most walks in a post-season?

Edited by silviodante09

I agree the bulk of the pitching is better but, save the snark.  CJ Wilson's 150 ERA+ in 2011 was better than anyone currently on the roster has ever managed to put up as a starting pitcher -- including Darvish.

His career year was great, but mostly 1-4 the pitching should be much better in 2014. Harrison returns and maybe Lewis gets the #5 spot while he was #2 in 2011

C.J. had a 2.94 era in '11 while Darvish had a 2.83 this past year. There is no way of getting around it, Darvish was the smarter signing. And that same year didn't C.J. set some sort of record for most walks in a post-season?

That's awesome -- and yet it had NOTHING to do what what he said, or I responded to.  CJ Wilson's 150 ERA+ in 2011 was better than Darvish's 145 last year.    Not even trying to be rude.   Just trying to point out nothing you brought up was actually argued.

His career year was great, but mostly 1-4 the pitching should be much better in 2014. Harrison returns and maybe Lewis gets the #5 spot while he was #2 in 2011

So, you admit you were sort of being snarky when you threw in that bit about Wilson?  Because there is no denying he pitched extremely well -- Ogando and Harrison were very good too.

I fully agree the Rangers pitching staff both in 2013 and next year should be better than the 11 squad.  BTW are they going to use Neftali as the closer again?

I really like the Choice deal for your team as well.

Edited by Inside Pitch

Both Lewis and Harrisons careers are questionable to say the least moving forward, especially Lewis. One of them gets hurt and you're starting Ogando again, that's Tommy John within a month and a half.