• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

"Fear the beard" versus "The Cardinal Way"

Glen

Battle of the annoying slogans  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Which one are you rooting harder against?

• "Fear the Beard"
    • "The Cardinal Way"
    • I can't pick one, they both make me want to punch a nun in her moneymaker

Prior to the start of this series I had rekindled my hatred of the Red Sox, which had quieted down a bit since the 09 playoffs.  However, their whole dumb beard thing was like gasoline on my angry embers, and it annoyed me on several levels - one, it was a ripoff from every team that has done it before; two, it made the Sox even more unlikable; and three...because **** the Red Sox.  

Then along came the utter pretentiousness of "The Cardinal Way" and the smug, assumed superiority of their fans.  Plus, they can continue to gloat for the next eight years about not having Pujols on their team, but it's mostly the former.  Now, I found myself in the position of hoping both teams would lose the WS in some embarrassing fashion.

So my question to all of you is: which one are you rooting harder against?  I know, it's a tough choice.  

Nothing Boston, (or their fans, or the city) will ever do can make that team appealing to me.  Since 1986, if Fenway Park sank into the Atlantic Ocean I'm okay with it.

Wow... Put a little hate in your heart...

Just curious if you've ever been to Fenway, the surrounding area, and/or City?  I remember '86 too; it was the year I graduated from high school, and that loss put a bit of a damper on things.  Just a bit though, as there were really a lot more serious issues going-on that year (and, let's face it, every year unless you play or work for these teams.  But that is for another "super fan"-type thread).  I've said before that I grew up rooting for the Angels first, and Sox second.  I rooted for the Mets that year though, out of a bit of pain.

Anyway, I'll take "fear the beard" over this pompous "cardinal way" crap that is really just "the professional baseball way" that all these teams try to use.

And, as far as the growing of "playoff beards," that's been a long tradition in hockey.  I don't like shaving anyway, and never do on game days (hockey, baseball, water polo, golf, whatever).  But, I'm a weekend warrior now, who prefers to "rip-off" old ideas.

I have been to Fenway and to (old) Busch Stadium. I was at Busch when the new one was being built. I have no problem with Cardinal fans, who are some of the most knowledgeable fans I have been around, but the whole atmosphere at Fenway is a party. Of course, I was at a Red Sox/Yankees game, so that was may have had something to do with it.

My wife is a Chowd, so I have to root for the Sox (externally), but if the Cards win I won't be too terribly disappointed (internally).

I think the beards are kinda funny. After all, hockey players grow them during the playoffs, so why can't the Sox do it? I hate shaving, so I can understand not wanting to do it on a daily/weekly/monthly/seasonal basis.

"The Cardinal Way" is just another take on "The Way It Should Be Done", much like "The Dodger Way" during the 70s & 80s and "The Oriole Way" during the 60s & 70s. Yeah, they have some smart peeps there in the Gateway City.

I can tell you one thing, it's nice to see some camaraderie between players and in organizations that bring the teams together and create some intangibles.

That kind of magic is what builds confidence and wins ballgames, it's what baseball is all about, that's for sure.

After watching the playoffs this year it just magnifies how bad the Angels perform, how they fold after the 7th, it's like they don't even have a goal that they're playing for.

Neither. It's that Boston strong crap I hate. This Onion article got it right

http://www.theonion.com/articles/sports-journalist-told-to-write-some-slop-about-ba,34381/

BOSTON—Ahead of Wednesday’s potential World Series–clinching Game 6 matchup between the Red Sox and Cardinals, sources confirmed that Los Angeles Times sports editor Sam Poyet instructed journalist Ross Martinez to quickly throw together some slop about baseball helping the city of Boston heal from this year’s tragic marathon bombings. “Just shit out like six or seven hundred words’ worth of melodramatic sludge about how the whole city has been galvanized by their team and how baseball offers a way for Bostonians to slowly move on from tragedy,” said Poyet, adding that Martinez should definitely churn out a couple paragraphs of muck contrasting the overwhelming terror pervading Boston during the aftermath of the bombings to the especially emotional and impassioned atmosphere at Fenway Park this season.