• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Kendrick trade options

RenoHalo

Unfortunately, 2B seem to be in fairly good supply this winter. I think Howie is probably our best trade chip, but Dipoto will probably have to move fast to get a good haul for him, with Phillips, Uggla, Cano all seemingly available. I was checking out the O's prospect list, and while I don't think Howie could fetch a Bundy or Gausman, there are some decent looking young pitchers in their top 20 (Rodriguez and Belfiore caught my attention). Belfiore is a big lefty reliever who projects to make it up in 2014, he might be the 2nd guy I would ask for after one of their SP prospects in a 2 for 1 deal.

http://baseballinstinct.com/2013/09/04/baltimore-orioles-top-21-prospects-2013-review/

Edited by RenoHalo

Howie/Iannetta for Janssen/young starting pitcher?

Actually I think we can get more than that for Kendrick and Iannetta. If we don't ask for Sanchez (who is in A ball anyway and won't help the big league club for probably 2 years) I imagine we could pry Marcus Stroman (AA) and Sean Nolin (AAA/Majors) along with Casey Janssen and maybe even a 4th prospect.

If we sent Kevin Jepsen (cheaper reliever with probably two more "value" years of control) too I don't see why we couldn't acquire another reliever type like John Stilson (I'm not a big fan of Jepsen and think he needs a change of scenery but this last part is more personal opinion).

Stroman and Nolin would give us two starting pitchers. Nolin, a back-end-of-the-rotation type, could even be inserted in the rotation next season if a Vargas re-signing proves difficult for some reason. Stroman could continue to develop in the minors (and serve out his banned substance suspension) and has the ceiling of a #2/#3 type.

A trade like this would allow us to move Trumbo for another starting pitcher to give us even more depth. This would allow us to focus more of our actual dollars on one decent SP whether it is Tanaka, Vargas, or someone else.

Edited by ettin

Given our recent history around trades, I'm not as eager as many of you to let go one of our better players in the hopes we garner something in return. Middle infielders of his caliber under the contract he currently resides are not that readily available. Moreover, much of this talk has us taking prospects from anothers farm system. Talk about risk. We are already hurting, why panic and make it worse. 

Given our recent history around trades, I'm not as eager as many of you to let go one of our better players in the hopes we garner something in return. Middle infielders of his caliber under the contract he currently resides are not that readily available. Moreover, much of this talk has us taking prospects from anothers farm system. Talk about risk. We are already hurting, why panic and make it worse. 

Of his caliber?  There are plenty of players who take 2nd base on a single up the middle and get thrown out at 2nd.  And Howie is not the only fielder who makes key errors in important parts of the game.  There are plenty of players of this caliber, most of them are still in little league but they might make it to the big show one day.

I think you seriously overrate Howie Kendrick, 

The Blue Jays are most likely the best option for Howie.  They have let it be known they are looking for a 2B and they are interested in Iannetta.  The Angels need to find out what they can get for a Howie/Iannetta package from the Blue Jays.

If that is a case, it should be for a major league ready starter and a quality starter prospect plus a reliever.

Howie alone should bring in two and Iannetta should bring in the third.

Again, and I've said it before, I like Howie and in a perfect world I would probably keep him on the team. However we have a real and serious need for starting pitchers and the free agent market is seriously lacking in decent choices. Additionally we are probably on a tight budget as far as spending unless Arte decides to blow past the luxury tax threshold and even then the SP choices are not good so what would be the point unless we take on a contract like Cliff Lee's?

Every pitcher starts somewhere and that is as a Minor League player. Yes there is some risk built in to acquiring prospects but the closer they are to the Major Leagues (AA/AAA) the better. That doesn't guarantee a damn thing but it is cheaper, has potential upside, is better for the long term health of the club, and can give us the depth. This does assume that the Angels scouting staff knows what they are doing.

So to recap Jim I get what you are saying but our options to improve our pitching are limited in free agency (Tanaka being probably the best target and more and more teams are entering the race for him every day), mainly due to the quality of the pitchers available, and.are limited through trade (talking established big league pitchers). Trading for prospects seems to be the only feasible option.

Howie/Iannetta for Janssen/young starting pitcher?

Is Janssen a starter or a reliever?

I would think Howie and Iannetta should bring in three major league ready players.  Howie was an All Star once and should have been this year.  Iannetta is a solid major league starting catcher.

Do you prefer our recent free agent moves instead?

Hey we have to improve the club.  We have a limited budget, we really should prioritize money for a Trout extension.  How do you suggest we improve the club?

Is Janssen a starter or a reliever?

I would think Howie and Iannetta should bring in three major league ready players. Howie was an All Star once and should have been this year. Iannetta is a solid major league starting catcher.

Janssen is Toronto's closer. The / means Kendrick or Iannetta traded, but it's possible that they're traded in the same deal. I don't think Iannetta is a good defensive catcher. Edited by AngelsAndRamsFan

Do you prefer our recent free agent moves instead?

Hey we have to improve the club.  We have a limited budget, we really should prioritize money for a Trout extension.  How do you suggest we improve the club?

Our priority should be on improving the team NOW ... with Pujols and Hamilton we have a limited window to succeed. Trout is locked up for four more years ... I don't see the urgency but getting something done to save money over the next four years and maybe some future years beyond would be real nice.

Edited by Troll Daddy

Of his caliber? There are plenty of players who take 2nd base on a single up the middle and get thrown out at 2nd. And Howie is not the only fielder who makes key errors in important parts of the game. There are plenty of players of this caliber, most of them are still in little league but they might make it to the big show one day.

I think you seriously overrate Howie Kendrick,

He doesn't over value him nearly as much as you under value him. He is consistently a 3 WAR guy. You act like he's total garbage.

Don't trade Howie! Get what you can for Ianetta and move on from the Jays. Of course if you get blown out of the water, swing a deal including Howie, but otherwise keep him. He's a top 10 second baseman in the league and is payed a reasonable amount. 

We should trade one of Calhoun, Trumbo, Bourjos instead.