• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

UCLA Basketball Thread

nate

Being reported that the UC Regents would have to approve a contract of 3 million or more so the Bruins had to back track and go with the second tier of coaches available.  In the end I don't think any of the first tier guys were coming anyway.

He didn't actually sign the extension, he signed a note of intent or something along those lines but not the actual contract.  Still, I know what you mean.

Not really happy about the hire but I think they could have done worse.  At least he recruits CA really well.

The BYU player

JT is but so is Alford.  I have it from a good source (Coach Rose) that the assistant coach was the main instigator in the dealing.  JT started to talk back and then Alford called him an ahole.  Alford was reprimanded by the MWC and came out and said he was sorry on ESPN first take the day after.  JT (because Tom Holmoe, BYU's AD, made him) went over to the locker room after to apologize to the whole team. Alford told ESPN that he said it wasn't necessary and that he was now his "favorite player" or some crap like that.......according to Coach Rose and other BYU guys that is not at all how it went down. 

When you put two a-holes together (JT and Alford) the outcome is usually not that good.  The big difference here is one is a coach and the other is a player. 

Guys.  Look at Larry Eustacy's career.  Now he has taken over Colorado State's BB team and got them in the tourney.  CSU?  Are you kidding me?  Larry can coach and can win.  His past makes Alford's look like a choir boy's.  I don't like it any more than you guys, but this is big boy pants athletics fueled by money.

Kobe sexually assaulted a woman and he is an icon now.  No one talks about it.  Tiger Woods?  Ray Lewis?  The list goes on and on.  I know you UCLA clean livers hold your head higher than the USCs of the college playground, but it is about winning and filling up the new stadium.

Lol at trying to justify what he did.

Back to his coaching abilities, his tournament record with teams as a 5 seed or better:

2012-13: 3 seed New Mexico losing in first round to 14 seed Harvard (big upset)

2011-12: 5 seed New Mexico losing in the second round to 4 seeded Louisville (they were the lower seed)

2009-10: 3 seed New Mexico losing in second round to 11th seeded Washington (upset)

2005-06: 3 seed Iowa losing in the first round to #14 Northwestern State (big upset)

Not the greatest to say the least. I still think Howland was a pretty good coach, better than how I view Alford frankly. With that said, it seemed like he had lost control of the program the pasty few seasons so I don't blame UCLA firing him, and he seemed to call timeouts at the oddest times. My take is that UCLA thought they could get either one of Smart or Stevens (and I thought so as well) and after missing on them settled for another mid-major coach.