• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

UCLA Basketball Thread

nate

Shabazz is gone.  I bet he is a fringe lottery pick now.  I don't really care, good riddance.  His little temper tantrums when he didn't get the ball get real old.  Combined with the fact he can't create his own shot, I don't see him being much of a NBA player.

Hope the next coach is Shaka Smart.

It is crazy to me that Howland became the Tedford of basketball.

He had such a promising start to his decade at UCLA.

Reminds me of Scioscia.  It remains to be seen how the Angels do this year -- but for Howland early success and then the Bruins kept him around too long.  The way he handled Nelson, Dragovic, the Wears, etc really was frustrating.

I appreciate his three final fours and the fact that he was always true to the Bruins, he is a good person and I hope he does well where ever he goes next.  I am happy to bring in a new coach though.

Rally, you would appreciate this:

UCLA fans saying if we don't get our main targets: Stevens, Smart, Donovan, Pitino, that we should go after Montgomery.

That's EXACTLY what UCLA needs to do. They need to bring in a 66 year old guy that isn't a hardcore recruiter.

lol, you should probably put anybody that seriously floated that on ignore.

That's NEVER going to happen.

Reminds me of Scioscia.  It remains to be seen how the Angels do this year -- but for Howland early success and then the Bruins kept him around too long.  The way he handled Nelson, Dragovic, the Wears, etc really was frustrating.

I appreciate his three final fours and the fact that he was always true to the Bruins, he is a good person and I hope he does well where ever he goes next.  I am happy to bring in a new coach though.

It's exactly the same as Tedford, though the high's were higher with Howland (though not relative to the program's stature and his starting point) and the lows weren't as low as they ended up being with Tedford.

At least the UCLA program isn't on the verge of academic probation. Dykes has a very fine line to walk at Cal. He can't afford a single academic slip-up.

that's crazy

I know he can speak for himself, but I'll just say that II think he's kinda building upon a joke that I made about Cal being a basketball school when we were "winning" (everything's relative) in BB while Tedford was floundering. It's clear that Cal has aspirations on and is dumping TONS of money into being a football school, but that's a tough row to hoe. I jokingly said that Cal was a basketball school.

I'm pretty sure Nate knows that UCLA can pretty quickly turn its BB program around 

You guys will be strong if you get a good replacement for basketball Tedford.

You know who they should have hired two years ago? Ben Howland.

They should have told him to stop recruiting a bunch of guys that project to be nothing but 1 or 2s and dones. If he hadn't gone away from what was working for him earlier, he would have remained massively successful. The system that he runs isn't broken, but it was never going to work with the kind of players he had recently.

It's really a shame. Howland's true ceiling hadn't been reached at UCLA. I truly think that he would have brought UCLA multiple titles if he had managed to recruit guys for his system.

You know who they should have hired two years ago? Ben Howland.

They should have told him to stop recruiting a bunch of guys that project to be nothing but 1 or 2s and dones. If he hadn't gone away from what was working for him earlier, he would have remained massively successful. The system that he runs isn't broken, but it was never going to work with the kind of players he had recently.

It's really a shame. Howland's true ceiling hadn't been reached at UCLA. I truly think that he would have brought UCLA multiple titles if he had managed to recruit guys for his system.

Howland's best years were with 1 or 2 and dones (Westbrook, Love). He tried the last 4 years (before this past season) to recruit guys that would stay. He never made the sweet 16 during that stretch and missed the tournament multiple times. Howland's issue is that he can't adjust to the players he recruits. Sometimes, you can't get every player you want that fits your system. Therefore, you need to adjust to the talent you have. The best coaches do that.

Also, Howland can't draw up on offensive play if his life depended on it. Hence the reason he only called time outs to set up the defense. Never to set up an offensive play. That was a glaring issue his entire tenure.  Even the good years.