• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

UCLA Basketball Thread

nate

Local sports radio here in MN mentioned that the Gophers AD is the one that hired Shaka at VCU. That connection combined with the right contract might get Shaka to leave VCU and come here. This may explain UCLAs reason for not pursuing Smart. He will either extend at VCU or leave for Minnesota

Don't get your hopes up for a Donovan or Pitino, I just don't see that happening.  NBA retread sounds just awful.  What if it were an alumnus like Bill Walton or Kareem or Reggie Miller?  That would be interesting.

Great but Howland has accomplished far more during his tenure. Romar has never made it past the sweet sixteen despite constantly having NBA talent.

Howland accomplished all of that the first 5 years on the job with 3 NBA 1st rounders. Romar getting it done with 2nd rate NBA talent in a gym smaller than some high school gyms. I'm not saying Romar is a top notch coach, but UCLA might be stuck with him whe the other top coaches pass on the open position

Howland accomplished all of that the first 5 years on the job with 3 NBA 1st rounders. Romar getting it done with 2nd rate NBA talent in a gym smaller than some high school gyms. I'm not saying Romar is a top notch coach, but UCLA might be stuck with him whe the other top coaches pass on the open position

Brandon Roy was one of the best SG in the NBA before his injuries. That team also had Nate Robinson on it. Hell he couldn't even make the tournament in an extremely weak Pac-12 last season with the 8th overall pick. I honestly believe Howland is a better coach, Romar looks at his assistants for answers all the time. If you think he is an improvement I completely disagree. Since I hate everything about the Huskies I hope he stays with them a long time, same with Sark in football. With all that said, Romar is a damn good recruiter.

I guess my point is UCLA is one of the top basketball programs in the nation, I believe you guys could do a whole lot better than an underachieving Lorenzo Romar. If that isn't the case I would be extremely surprised but I guess crazier things have happened. I hear you guys saying Kareem, but does he have any coaching experience?

When UW played BYU in the first round of the NIT last week, Dave Rose completely crushed Romar and I do not consider Dave Rose and X's and O's guy at all.  UCLA should be able to do better than Romar.  I was not impressed at all with him. I know it was only one game but that was just my opinion.

Interesting though that these guys like Few, Stevens, and Smart are fine staying where they are at.  Most likely because they know they will have a job where there are at for the rest of their lives and they are starting to get compensated now.

Interesting though that these guys like Few, Stevens, and Smart are fine staying where they are at.  Most likely because they know they will have a job where there are at for the rest of their lives and they are starting to get compensated now.

Maybe they don't want to live in L.A. Smart and Stevens are midwest guys, Few is from Oregon and is probably happy in the Northwest.  They all have young families (not sure about Few).  They're probably happy where they are.  Imagine the culture shock moving from Butler to UCLA.

Howland was a good hire for the Bruins, too bad it just didn't work out.

The other thing to remember about UCLA is the fact that it has such a high expectation. It is not a lifetime coaching gig. Stevens or Smart could come here, get to a couple of Sweet 16s maybe a final four over 10 years, then what? The first lull, as what has happened with Howland, results in a firing.

These guys (Stevens and Smart) have lifetime jobs at their respective schools if they want them. They already exceeded expectations and can't fail unless they go 3-5 years worth of losing seasons.

UCLA is a tough place to get a gig. That said, I will be rooting for Oregon to beat Louisville because I think that's the only way UCLA has a chance at Pitino. Pitino wants the gig, was ready to come here twice, most recently in 2010 when the "Howland should be fired" rumors first started.

If that fails, I think they look at Monty and Romar.