• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

California Golden Bears Football

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that any team that needs to do it, will more than likely do it to an extent. I don't know if they'll do it as brazenly as Northwestern did, but they'll do it. Northwestern was on the verge of the game possibly getting out of their control.

When Cal did it a few years ago against Oregon and almost beat them, it was the first time that it was a big deal in the media. The program was held to the fire for it. Tosh was suspended and JT received hell for it. I continually tried to justify it to myself, but I never felt it was truly legit. I wonder if Northwestern will get similar treatment for an even more obvious display on Saturday.

I do believe that hurrying to the line and not running a play pretty quickly as a means of preventing defensive substitutions is a bunch of bullcrap. That didn't happen much for us on Saturday. If you run to the line, you better run a play quickly.

We ran 99 plays. That's absurd. It's nice to see that the team is so well conditioned.

Edited by RallyMo

i was pleasantly surprised with that game.

the two pick-6s, never want to see but you cant blame goff for those.

great showing for a true freshman in his first game against ranked team.

the fake injuries were maddening.

nice to see bigelow getting the prime carries. 

fun game to watch at least.

Hard to find 6 wins in that schedule you guys have.  Cal AD has to realize that you can't schedule two top tier teams in non conference play.  Especially with a 9 game conference schedule in a deep conference.

Agreed.

For what it's worth, I think that they were projecting that Tedford would have Cal as a powerhouse when they scheduled the tOSU series.

I was thinking that they didn't project Northwestern to be a top 25 team either.

Agreed.

...and you know what, I'd actually be COMPLETELY fine with it if not for the perception that the likely loss to Ohio State and the loss to NW may give to recruits. With that said, they are home games, and the loss to NW was a rather positive experience for the program on the balance of everything. The amount of promise that is there (save for some defensive issues) cannot be understated. If the tOSU game shows similar promise and environment (the stadium was rocking) and the team can continue to trend upward (while probably winning 4 or so games) I will be happy.

i was pleasantly surprised with that game.

the two pick-6s, never want to see but you cant blame goff for those.

great showing for a true freshman in his first game against ranked team.

the fake injuries were maddening.

nice to see bigelow getting the prime carries. 

fun game to watch at least.

I was very happy with almost everything I saw.

Goff was otherworldly considering his true freshman status against a ranked team. If you just look at his stats, you can see those three INTS and come away unimpressed, but both of the pick 6s were tips, and one of them shouldn't even really count as an interception: the ball deflected off of Powe's hands and was headed straight for his chest. There wasn't anything that should have been uncatchable about it. I see the last interception as a freshman mistake and Goff pretty much said that. He threw it up for grabs and put too much air under it. I believe that the coaching staff will be able to modify plays and schemes to bring down the number of tipped passes. After looking a little nervous, Goff settled in and was composed and decisive and threw very good balls.

The offense they ran on Saturday was nothing like what they will ultimately be capable of running. There were no designed QB runs and the playbook was extremely limited.

Defense is going to be shaky and we'll give up tons of points, especially now with Sebastian out for the season.

Here's the most important stat: this Cal team is the 125th youngest (in terms of experience) team in college football. I see this as a completely good thing. Going off of some stats I saw elsewhere, this team brought back 27.8% of its total yards from last season and 57% of its tackles from last season (...and with Sebastian out for the year, that number goes down).

This first game was a great base to build on.

Goff could turn out to be really, really good.

...and yeah, the fake injuries were infuriating, but what goes around (for the fanbase, at least) comes around. Of course, once Tosh/JT were called on it, Tosh was suspended and they never tried to pull that crap again.

Dykes has no reason to not be upset about it, though.

That's rich.  Coach is a douche = Team with the least moral integrity.  Myopic

Myopic?  Teams are only as good as their leader.  Do you think it is the players that come up with the idea of faking injuries?

Lane will tell them to do it, right after he tells them to deflate the footballs below regulation and swap jerseys on special teams.

Might be an empty feeling after Cal's 4 win season and the Bruins win 10+

Maybe, or maybe he's not that shallow.

If he feels like he's working towards something good and putting up ridiculous numbers with great friends in a place where he says he's happy and they continue to improve, I seriously doubt he'll be wishing he went to UCLA.

I thought the bears were moving into their new stadium this year. Looks like they're still playing in the same stadium.

They moved back in last year. At a glance it looks very similar, but that depends on television angles and things you do not see at all on TV.

There's a BIG difference, though. It's really nice and is probably one of the best settings in college football.

One of my favorite things to read after a close call like Saturday is when fans pull the "We were holding back and not showing all of our cards" routine.

We almost lost to Portland State and some people are floating this theory.

I know every fan base has these people, but it blows my mind.

Portland State almost got us, and they had a great approach. They ran the Pistol all game the first week. They didn't run it at all against us. It was a brilliant plan and we didn't have an answer for it, which is extremely discouraging. They sliced up the defense like crazy.