• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

California Golden Bears Football

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is just food for thought, nothing more.  Someone asked the UCLA Scout editor if he thought Dykes was a good hire for Cal, this was his response.  I generally trust his opinion, he has been doing this for 20 years now.

I don't think it was a good hire. Perhaps it ends up successful, but it doesn't mean another hire wouldn't have been better.

There are two main issues, IMO.  The offense is one-dimensional.  The Air-Raid offense can be defensed, especially now with so many college defenses getting so much better in their nickel packages. It's pretty obvious now that need an offense that can both run and throw, and that offensive scheme doesn't. It won't end up ultimately being able to win at a high level, and it will hurt you in recruiting. 

From what I've heard, the fact that the coaching staff was made up of coaches from the south wasn't playing necessarily really well with recruits. When you're a recruit from the state of California and you're getting recruited by the University of California, most of the time the recruit wants a California flavor, not a southern one.

This is just food for thought, nothing more.  Someone asked the UCLA Scout editor if he thought Dykes was a good hire for Cal, this was his response.  I generally trust his opinion, he has been doing this for 20 years now.

He might be right about the whole recruiting angle and a coaching staff composed of southerners.

For a guy that's supposed to know his stuff, he's shockingly wrong about the offense, though.

He might be right about the whole recruiting angle and a coaching staff composed of southerners.

For a guy that's supposed to know his stuff, he's shockingly wrong about the offense, though.

Expanding on this, here is LaTech's play distribution form last year:

Run: 521

Pass: 533

They had the 22nd most rushing yards in football.

It's a matter of personnel. They don't have the personnel they need in order to run successfully right now. You'll see what I mean tomorrow (I think). You'll see how bad the OL is. You'll notice how deficient they are at creating holes. You'll see how quickly Goff has to get his passes off in order to not get murdered. You'll see that we can move at will between the 30's but everything shuts down around the red zone. You'll see that if we score, it's because Goff likely connects on a long pass play.

They would run if they could. That's why they're going after Mixon. They want to run. Their system passes a good amount, but it's not a strict Air Raid at all.

The Scout guy doesn't know what he's talking about when it comes to preferred scheme.

I just read that Stefan McClure is out for the season.

So now we have lost EIGHT opening day defensive starters to injury and one to dismissal. Two others are playing gimpy. That gives us one healthy original defensive starter.

WTH?

Holy cow & i thought USC had injury issues...you see the 3 walk on WRs getting meaningful minutes last night....i also saw my boy Joel Willis get carted off last week. Hope he's ok

I just read that Stefan McClure is out for the season.

So now we have lost EIGHT opening day defensive starters to injury and one to dismissal. Two others are playing gimpy. That gives us one healthy original defensive starter.

WTH?

What was the dismissal for, he didn't puff, puff, pass?