• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

California Golden Bears Football

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the UCLA boards.  Posters always complained that, even though Cal has strict admissions like UCLA, Tedford was able to get exceptions made for players.  They wanted UCLA admin to do the same.  I think it is a good thing they didn't.  There is a reason for the stricter admissions, no cake walk majors for these guys to hide in and do nothing and still pass.

Rally,

Looks like USC is close to offering Koa Farmer & nice position to flip him.

We're still working on Wadood. Another bosco teammate WR Shay Fields might commit to USC

The state of USC recruiting is so solid that they're trying to pick 3* commits off of the most unstable and incomplete class in the conference?

Wow.

I thought Orgeron was supposed to be a good recruiter.

Fight on and stuff, I guess.

On the UCLA boards.  Posters always complained that, even though Cal has strict admissions like UCLA, Tedford was able to get exceptions made for players.  They wanted UCLA admin to do the same.  I think it is a good thing they didn't.  There is a reason for the stricter admissions, no cake walk majors for these guys to hide in and do nothing and still pass.

You are absolutely correct on this one save for the assertion that there aren't cake walk majors at both UCLA and Cal (relative to other majors).

JT took academic risks on guys that ultimately killed the APR and who though their inability to make it at Cal ended up killing on-field depth. With that said, the complete lack of academic accountability is what really killed the team APR wise.

The state of USC recruiting is so solid that they're trying to pick 3* commits off of the most unstable and incomplete class in the conference?

Wow.

I thought Orgeron was supposed to be a good recruiter.

Fight on and stuff, I guess.

Wadood is a 4*?

http://247sports.com/Player/Jaleel-Wadood-16761

Koa is ranked #12 safety in the country?

http://247sports.com/Player/Koa-Farmer-24654

Nothing new for Rally but still shocking to see the numbers.

Jon Wilner
NCAA releases Grad Success Rate and Fed Grad Rates

Jon Wilner
Cal football grad numbers drop again: GSR is 44 (48 last year) while Fed rate is 39 (47 last year). For 2006 cohort.

Jon Wilner
Both those numbers are unfathomable for #1 public U

Jon Wilner
Cal's GSR the worst in Pac-12, by far ...

It's nothing short of pathetic and THIS is why Tedford was fired.

I think he'd have been given another year (maybe 2) given his standing in terms of Cal Football historically, but the academics and their implications were the real reasons that he was shown the door with three years left on his contract. How many coaches (outside of Weis) do you see get bought out like that?

Barbour pretty much blamed Tedford in her reaction to the GSR.  As she should have.  Says that under Dykes they posted the highest GPA in five years over the spring.

I agree that it was largely JT's fault, but I think Barbour and even the Chancellor Birgeneau share some responsibility. They should have been doing everything they could to stop this three years ago, maybe more.

I wouldn't be surprised if GSR goes lower next year, but APR goes up.

Dykes:

“It’s not good. I knew when I took the job there was an academic situation that needed to get fixed. I think what we’ve done speaks for itself in terms of having the best GPA in the spring in 5 years and the best GPA in the summer in 10 years.

I think we’re making strides. It’s something we’ve got to improve, and we will. We’ve added additional resources to address the problem. I think our players know where we stand academically. The biggest thing we need to do is recruit the right student athletes here. We want our guys to get a degree, it’s important that we improve that number.

That number is going to be slow to improve, because (it starts with) 2003 this year and it will be 2004 next year. But I think the rate that we will be able to make the quickest adjustment in is the APR, because the APR is basically what’s happening this year. When we release our APR this spring, I think the number is going to be really good, and I think it’s going to speak highly as to where we’re heading.”

Edited by RallyMo

This is why Mike Montgomery gets respect.   He has a history of stressing both basketball and academics.

It also doesn't hurt that he's a LB State grad.

I'll wait until the GSR for his time period comes up, but he had his work cut out for him when he got to Cal.

The numbers released the other day are even worse for the basketball team, which seems impossible. These are Braun's peeps, but still...

Eeesh.