• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Masahiro Tanaka news

gotbeer

Pitcher Masahiro Tanaka sets Japanese baseball record with 21 consecutive wins

He's becoming a more and more intriguing option.  And the reason why he might be posted after this season, since he has like 3 years left till FA'cy, is that MLB is thinking of changing the posting procedures where the player gets a portion of the posting fee.  He's 24 years old right now.  

It's just money, won't cost us draft picks, and we don't need to trade anyone.  

Isn't it better to pay that money to currently the most dominant pitcher in Japan, and who throws 4 different pitches and sits on 90-94 and has hit 97, instead of giving it to a 32 year-old declining hitter like Moreno did not once but twice?

Moreno should have thought about that 1-2 years back.

Edited by Angel Oracle

Isn't it better to pay that money to currently the most dominant pitcher in Japan, and who throws 4 different pitches and sits on 90-94 and has hit 97, instead of giving it to a 32 year-old declining hitter like Moreno did not once but twice?

This is the part that we need to be careful with. I don't disagree about looking into him and from what I have heard he seems like a potential investment but I would hope that we scout him heavily before an attempted purchase. Remember there have been more failures than successes from Japan.

Moreno buys players to win Sports Illustrated covers (do they even still print that magazine?) only.

Moreno is the Woody Johnson (Jets owner) of MLB. Watch Moreno sign Tebow next. Grit. Hustle. The will to win.

It's just money and as far as I know, the posting fee doesn't count towards payroll. Also, MLB as a whole seems to be doing a better job at signing asian pitchers. There have been plenty of successful transitions lately.

I did a little research before posting and didn't realize how shutdown of a reliever Uehara is. He was signed this last offseason. Check out his current streak he has going: http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/u/ueharko01.shtml

And then he tanks and just about everyone here shits a brick and calls for Dipoto or Artes head like this year.

lol at you trying to compare a 24 year old kid with huge upside nowhere near his prime to two 32 year old sluggers who were already entering their decline, and played their worst baseball down the stretch right before they signed with us.

For every Darvsh there is also an Irabu. 

Compared to the kind of stats that Daisuke, Darvish, and Tanaka had in the Japanese league, Irabu's weren't that impressive. The reality is though that there are a lot more failed Japanese starting pitchers than there are successes, but perhaps the talent is getting better now. Tanaka would have been a fine risk pre-Pujols&Hamilton, but I don't know if we can afford to whiff on another big money signing. I like him though, and he could end up being exactly what we need.