• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Lakers Thread

Punk

Obviously, BI, Lonzo, and Zubac would likely not be enough to acquire AD.   

Would BI, Kuz, Lonzo, and Zubac be too much though?  

That would leave them with a 9 player rotation as follows:  AD, McGee, LBJ, KCP, & Rondo starting; with Hart, Stephenson, Chandler, & Beasley the key subs.  

Realistically though, the hated Celtics have the best chance at acquiring AD.   

An article I read at sportlsine says per sources unauthorized to speak on the deal (take it for what it's worth) the Lakers offer would have to start with Ball, Kuzma, Zubac and a first round pick.  The two teams you here mentioned most about trading for Davis are the Lakers and Celtics while the Celtics can't trade for him before the trade deadline because of the salary cap rules that would come into play from having both Davis and Irving on their roster.  The Celtics could trade for him in the off season but that may drop his value via trade unless he commits to signing an extension with his new team.  He's a stud and given his age/skills I'd say he's probably the top player in the NBA to build a franchise around but you'd be looking at him, Lebron and mostly vets you bring in to fill out the roster and make a run.  

By KHADRICE ROLLINS 

January 28, 2019

Anthony Davis has told the Pelicans that he won't sign an extension this summer and would prefer to be traded. Rumors continue to swirl regarding Davis' future and one of the teams that has long been speculated as a potential destination for him might not have as strong a shot as many initially thought.

Chris Haynes of Yahoo Sports reports "Boston is not a top target" for the five-time All-Star. He adds that there is a "growing belief of uncertainty" that Celtics All-Star Kyrie Irving won't re-sign with the team this offseason.

Boston cannot trade for Davis while Irving is still on the roster as no team can trade for two players on Designated Player Rookie Scale Extensions. However, many expect the Celtics to make an offer for Davis, if he remains with the Pelicans past the Feb. 7 trade deadline and into the offseason when Irving become a free agent and Boston can bring Davis in by trade.

Haynes also reports the Lakers and Knicks are preparing to make offers to the Pelicans for Davis

https://www.si.com/nba/2019/01/28/anthony-davis-trade-rumors-pelicans-celtics?utm_campaign=thecrossover&utm_source=twitter.com&xid=socialflow_twitter_si&utm_medium=social

12 minutes ago, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

I understand the interest from any team in Davis but I wonder what the Knicks think they can sell him on.  They've averaged 29 wins a year the previous 5 years and he's stated that he wants a chance to win so I don't think playing in NY would be on his wish list.

probably sell him the idea of signing Durant and/or Kyrie

I can't blame them for trying but we've heard that schtick about more than one franchise over the last 5 years and none have made it happen.  Teams have added stars but the whole super team concept hasn't actually happened once the salary cap realities set in (Houston) and guys end up liking where they are (George in OKC).  We've also heard this in recent years about unhappy stars who wanted out:

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/lakers-are-anthony-davis-preferred-destination-wont-re-sign-elsewhere-per-report/

If I'm NO I want the best deal but sometimes this seems to backfire on the preferred destination team.  That said most of the proposed deals out there for Davis which are speculative don't seem to match up with what the Lakers can offer.  Read an article that had Ingram/Ball/Zubac plus a pick for Davis and I'd prefer that over one involving Kuzma as he's looked much better playing with Lebron than Ingram has.  Ball supposedly doesn't want to play for NO but he really has no say as he's still on his rookie contract.

The Lakers would be smart to make a move now since Boston can't be involved unless they are trading Kyrie Irving to NO in the deal.  Otherwise, Boston has to wait until summer.  Doing a trade now, NO loses some leverage.  They have fewer attractive teams available, and AD can squash more leverage by threatening not to resign with anyone but LA.  I think the Lakers can get a deal done for less than you'd think since many will offer less knowing he won't stay.

However, doing a trade now screws the Lakers from a capspace angle.  They could conceivably sign a max free agent this summer, then trade pieces for AD after.  That option falls away since he will eat capspace right away, and only leave us with $20-25 million to spend this summer.  I'd do it now if possible, though.  

How many more years can Rondo man the point?   Otherwise, what key PG's will become FAs after the 2019-2020 season?

Irving is out this summer, because of the cap space issue.

I too, would prefer to keep Kuz and trade Ball, BI, and Zubac, plus whatever veteran contract balances out both sides salary wise, as required by the NBA.    

Okay so I have a friend with an inside source that has been fairly accurate in the past. He is stating that Lebron and AD's dinner discussed the fact that AD doesn't have a shoe deal yet and his jersey sales are nowhere near where they should be. Both of those problems would be solved if he came to the Lakers. Source also stated that AD and Irving were thinking of pairing up in New York if no trade to the Lakers happened and confirmed reports they are friends. He also stated that the Lakers are offering any young players the Pelicans want and that Magic wants it to be a PC trade showing that the Lakers won't try to rip off NO. Which means, Ball, Kuzma, Ingram, Zubac, and all their picks and whatever else will be offered. Source says he is not hearing Hart's name in the conversation and doesn't think NO wants KCP but a contract would need to go to match salary so possibly Lance. Lakers do not want another Kawhi or George situation and will overpay if they have to to get AD. Source also confirmed that Magic and LeBron want their own coach so Luke is likely out after this year. 

I asked him to find out about Irving coming to LA in the offseason or who their targets were. If they got AD, they could only afford Thompson or Kyrie but not both. If AD does come by Feb 7th, Lakers will call up D-League players to fill out roster. I mentioned them maybe signing Carmelo if he is let go but he says that didn't come up with with the source.

This is just from Lakers camp. I have no idea what the Pelicans think is the best offer. Would they rather stock up on picks from the Celtics and wait until after July 1st? If the Celtics trade for AD, does that mean Irving signs a 2 year deal with Boston? Does Irving come to LA knowing AD will join him later? Do the Pelicans blow up their whole roster? Right now, no other team can offer a better package than the Lakers. Do the Pelicans think all the picks the Celtics will give them and whatever players are better than the Lakers right now?

That source says Lakers will do what it takes to get AD right now. I would hope Magic at least tries to keep a pick or one of Kuz or Zubac etc rather than giving them all those guys and picks. Lakers would just be going against themselves in that case. That's the latest and I will update whenever I get any new info.

No idea how legitimate your source is but I would definitely think that the Lakers are inclined to make a move for AD now after how the George situation played out.  Some of what you discussed has been mentioned through a couple other sources, i.e. the Knicks going after him and pairing him with someone else via FA.  I think the Lakers are in win now mode with Lebron and while AD would cost them quite a bit he's only 25 and a guy they can build around as Lebron ages.   

I would not give up both Ingram and Kuzma.  I would give up one or the other.  I would prefer to give up Hart than Ball even though I actually think Hart is better right now.  So I guess my top offer would be Ingram, Ball, Zubac and the big contract whether it is Stephenson, KCP or Rondo.  If they insist on Kuzma instead of Ingram then no Ball.  Unless it is Kuzma and Ball and the big contract and the Lakers get to keep, Ingram, Hart and Zubac.  

Kuzma is the one I'd like to see them keep most out of all of those guys but he's not on AD's level and he never will be.  AD is a 25 year old PF/C who you can build your franchise around for the next 5+ years and bringing him in could entice someone like Irving or Thompson to come as a FA.  If AD holds up physically he's a guy you build around for the next decade.  NO is losing some leverage with the demand not that it means AD gets traded before the deadline or that if he does it's to the Lakers but I would hope they could keep the deal to 3 of the young guys, a pick and someone like KCP to balance out the salaries.